+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Switch to vertical reg groups in Technical; Afternoon one and all My much beloved school are switching to vertical reg groups this Sept (they initially wanted to ...

Thank Post

Switch to vertical reg groups

Afternoon one and all

My much beloved school are switching to vertical reg groups this Sept (they initially wanted to do it right now!!) now i've got the pastoral structure setup right with all the year groups together and all the reg groups underneath named and staffed correctly.

My problem is how do you do the reg groups in the timetable?

For this years we added an extra period on and set it up as tutor time and then in the timetable created a reg block for each year and then scheduled into the timetable in those extra periods. I can't do that now because if you do then instead of all the students going into say X1 you get 7X1, 8X1, 9X1 etc

I've asked Capita but they've not come back to me yet, I managed to sort everything else out but I can't figure this out for the life of me.

Cheers

Thank Post
    I've been doing this for a few years now. The solution that I use is to create a derived year group which I call 'V' in Nova-T from years 7-11. I then have four bands which are given codes based on the family name (normal schools would call them houses, but we have to be different). Into these bands I add nine classes (as we have nine forms in each family). I use the subject code of PSE and allocate five periods per week to each class. I force these periods to be scheduled during registration and lock them in place before scheduling any other classes. I end up with class codes of, for example VB/Pse1 which translates as <Vertical year group><Beech family>/<PSE><form number>. Because it is a derived year group then everyone in school can be assigned to a family in Curriculum Assignment by Scheme, and from there to an individual class. There may be other ways to do this, but I find that this way gives me control over what is happening and everyone understands where they are meant to be and when - which is kinda the point of a timetable.

Hope that makes sense, feel free to get in touch if not.

3. 2 Thanks to daveleonard:

Bananas (2nd July 2014), vikpaw (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,146 Posts
    We were going to do this for just some year groups.
    I think you could skip the bands if you wanted, but if there is a sub-division like house you can use then it helps to make picking the kids easier.
    derived reg.png

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Bananas (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Ok let me see if I got that right

On model screen with the NC groups at a year as V
    Put derived year groups in each year then add all the years into the V band
    Create as many different "houses" as you have then add in the numbers within those houses like M1 M2 etc
    Add rg group to them and give them as many lessons as you have reg periods in timetable
    Build the block
    schedule and lock in place

Thank Post
    Vertical.png
    This is how I've got mine set up (or at least the first two families). I use the bands to separate the houses and use PSE as the subject although you could create one called "Reg" if you like, you just need to have an equivalent in SIMS.net.

8. Thanks to daveleonard from:

Bananas (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Yeah, basically, once the derived year is made with the population you can treat it like any other year and split into bands and add blocks etc.
    I was told to add an NC Year to the derived year : a NCYr will need to be assigned or the schemes will be deemed as alternative, the year you choose to assign is irrelevant as the derived year is within this option.

Thank Post
    Cool will give it a go tomorrow, thanks very much

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Yeah, basically, once the derived year is made with the population you can treat it like any other year and split into bands and add blocks etc.
    I was told to add an NC Year to the derived year : a NCYr will need to be assigned or the schemes will be deemed as alternative, the year you choose to assign is irrelevant as the derived year is within this option.
    This might be a stupid question, but why is it such a problem if you don't assign an NC Year?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenis View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but why is it such a problem if you don't assign an NC Year?
    It get's regarded as alternative and so not visible in course manager. From summer it should, but, i think you'd still want it to be classes as not alternative if there is a way to differentiate as it's a regular part of the curriculum.
    KB402994
    It used not to be possible in NovaT6 to set up derived years with no NC year. However, since the introduction of Alternative Curriculum, this rule has been relaxed.

This means that if a derived year does not have an NC year on the Model screen in Nova, the system interprets the classes as Alternative Curriculum activities and does not show them in Course Manager.

To avoid this problem, assign an NC year to the derived year. We suggest that this is the lowest year which is included in the derived year.
    Additional Comments
    From Summer 2014 onwards, Alternative Curriculum Activities will be visible in Course Manager.

13. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Jenis (8th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Great, thank you! The last timetabler had a poor idea of best practice, so I'm trying to work out what I should be changing from his timetable structure.

Thank Post
    I've just spent the last week re-jigging our TT too cos the timetabler left.

Thank Post
    Got to laugh were switching to vertical tutor groups for the last 9 days of term.

You do know how much work is involved it's a huge job can't we just wait till September?

No

Blooming joke, furious doesn't even come close

Thank Post
    So I work all day, literally ALL day sorting this out. The spreadsheets with groups on are a MESS. I mean there's a list of say 20 students when the group should have 21 in it, go to the master list and the students there but not on the lists for the groups so sort that out.

They rolled pastoral vertically without me and included the now left Y11 which I was going to leave out to keep it tidy until the end of term.

The pastoral manager starts emailing me saying change these 7 things so I say don't worry about checking this against that at the moment as i've not finished sorting this out yet, get a mouthful back saying just change it now blah blah. Email the LM to say im not happy about the rudeness etc.

After spending a few more hours on it aside from the 7 that were in the wrong group the ass head emailed me about I found half a dozen more who were in no reg groups at all, students who have recently left but paperwork hasn't been done etc. I said so am I now going to get an apology???? No you can bet your backside I won't despite saving a load of grief.

I just give up I really do, I try to do a good job with no mistakes etc and just can't believe the way I was spoken to today

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread