+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, All users unable to log in "invalid username/password" error in Technical; I wonder if the running the sims transfer login would have kicked it into work, or doing a backup, restoring ...

Thank Post
    I wonder if the running the sims transfer login would have kicked it into work, or doing a backup, restoring the backup from a few nights ago then restoring the backup you just did would have resolve it. Still that would take rather a long while and only might fix it.

Does re-enforce what I said about using Windows Auth over SIMS SQL Auth!!

Thank Post
    Ohh... and if you had staff email addresses in SIMS, you could email them the temp password (insert security disclaimer) - if only there was a tool to bulk import staff email addreses into SIMS .net - https://simsbulkimport.codeplex.com/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasbo View Post
    That's your day sorted then....

Has anyone else got admin access at a level allowing them to do any actions that would result in the issue?

Perhaps the data entry would be less arduous after you have flogged someone?

Have a quick scan round the office for any lack of eye contact and flushed faces

Aaaaaaand i'm done

Thank goodness we're about half the size of a regular secondary!

Must say...big shout out to Capita on this one. Spot-on support wise, and whilst it wasn't a quick 'fix', I can't complain about the difficulty of the task.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Ohh... and if you had staff email addresses in SIMS, you could email them the temp password (insert security disclaimer) - if only there was a tool to bulk import staff email addreses into SIMS .net - https://simsbulkimport.codeplex.com/
    Aah yes this issue came up earlier. But we are on Office365 in the cloud for email, and I've discovered that SMTP connections cannot be made from behind a proxy (encountered this issue when attempting to set up monitoring systems on virtual servers, plus Spiceworks and PaperCut).

I like our email system but I think i'm going to build an exchange server soon to gain some more direct control over things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    If backup isn't an option, I would still be tempted to try proper detach reattach, or restore as suggest by Matt to see if it kicks the accounts into place. But, making them inactive is a weird one. If you move data to a new server and just badly attach it, i don't think that adjusts user status.

However, even without a quick fix, it's not that bad. An inactive account should have no username (...?), so in System Manager settings, go and change your default username to your preferred format. Then when you click active, it will put the correct username in so long as you don't have dupes, in which case you'll need to do some manual checking.

Now search for active = No. The problem is going to be a lot of the users there are probably leavers, so you'll have to be careful.
    But, click on Active and it will create username, so keyboard: Ctrl+S to save. Then Ctrl+. It's supposed to be a > but full stop works on my keyboard.
    This takes you to next user and highlight is on active, and on my system it even ticks active for you, but if not, space bar, then loop back to ctrl+s.
    You could even write a script, but it'll be just as quick to get some RSI and do it by hand.

To distribute passwords, you can then loop through your actives and click email if it's configured, or there is a report i think that prints out default passwords. Can't remember where, the print screen doesn't show them but someone asked a while ago and i think you can print them out.

EDIT: Dang too late! sorry at least it's there for posterity.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 2nd July 2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: too late!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy_506 View Post
    But we are on Office365 in the cloud for email
    I thought it used your local email client - I use Windows 8 Mail client which uses the ActiveSync ie HTTPS at home and that works ok. Also, I think you can set up a SMTP relay with Windows Server, lot less of a headache then exchange - thought that was the idea of o365, to take away the hassle! Also if your on LA broadband they normally have a SMTP relay you can use.

7. Thanks to matt40k from:

Easy_506 (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Don't you hate it when something comes along and takes out your day...!

Def talk to your lea if yo have one, we have 365 with no onsite exc wtc and use their SMTP relay for all kinds of in house monitoring stuff, backup alerts etc.

9. Thanks to Jasbo from:

Easy_506 (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    I've had lots of dealings with our LA recently and not a single mention of an SMTP relay. In fact I had to go to some trouble in order to supply LA details of ports to open for particular apps/software. Got the ports opened up and the monitoring software still doesn't work. I'd like to think I've covered all my bases but unfortunately I wasn't the person who built or configured this network, so when you've got 2 x 3rd parties who both say 'oh everything looks ok, it *should* work'...THE END... you can find months slipping away without actually getting much up and running.

However, I'm no IT genius so chances are there's a way to get everything sorted, I just need to find the right people to collaborate with.

Thank Post
    We had a similar issue following an upgrade. Turns out there's a flag that was left switched on by the staff dialed in to do the upgrade. Only administrators had permission to log in if it is set. Not sure where the flag is but it took them a day to work it out and sort it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WayTooTricky View Post
    We had a similar issue following an upgrade. Turns out there's a flag that was left switched on by the staff dialed in to do the upgrade. Only administrators had permission to log in if it is set. Not sure where the flag is but it took them a day to work it out and sort it.
    There is a setting that puts the system into single user mode - this is commonly used, however, it only works if everyone is out of the system. Otherwise, the first person to access becomes the single user, and you have to kick them out . Maybe it's not the same thing, but sounds similar, if they left SIMS open on the server it would have stopped anyone else getting access.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12