+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Instructions to install SQL2012 on a Windows 2012 in preparation for new SIMS Server in Technical; Hi We have SIMS running on windows 2003 server and now I have a Windows 2012 Virtual server dedicated for ...

Thank Post

Instructions to install SQL2012 on a Windows 2012 in preparation for new SIMS Server

Hi

We have SIMS running on windows 2003 server and now I have a Windows 2012 Virtual server dedicated for our new SIMS server.
    I want to install SQL server 2012 Standard with SP1 64 bit and migrate the SIMS database from old server to our new server.

This is the first time I am installing a SQL 2012 server. Please someone could post a step by step instructions to install SQL2012 on a Windows 2012 in preparation for new SIMS server Installation.

During the SQL installation process- Setup role-
    It gives me three options and I have selected the first option -If I am right ?
    1) SQL feature installation

Next Under the feature selection - I am not sure what all features to select (do I need to select all or only some features) ... please let me know
    Shared Featured directory: ------ (Path) ?
    Shared Featured directory (x86):-----(Path) ?

Under Service accounts - Should I leave default account name and password \Do I need to compare my old SIMS server and account name and password ?
    Under Database Engine configuration- Authentication mode (do I need to select -Windows authentication mode\Mixed mode ?

Data Directories : Do I need to have different drives for User database directories,User database log directories, Temp DB directories,Temp DB log directories, Backup directories or leave as default paths ?
    File Stream- Do I need to enable FILESTREAM for Transact-SQL access ?

Finally under reporting services Native mode
    Do I need to select (Install and configure\Install only)

Any help will be really Great
    Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Don't. Let whoever is install SIMS, install SQL 2012 express, then put the disc in and upgrade edition to Standard.

Thank Post
    +1 on above thats what your paying a migration/installation fee for.
    all you should need to do is ensure the server is up-todate and ready to have SIMS and SQL installed on it

Thank Post
    LEA will be doing the SIMS migration for us , I don't think that installing SQL will be their part.

Thank Post
    Confirm with the LEA whether you are expected to install SQL. IF you are, ask them for a guide - that's what you're paying them for.

Thank Post
    Your assuming someone is being contracted to do the migration and not the OP

Anyway, the information from Capita says...
    Double click on the installation media

Click Installation and then click 'New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation
    Click OK
    Click Next
    Click Install
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Tick 'I accept the license terms' and click next
    Click Next
    Tick the Features that you require
    You have to tick Database Engine Services
    We also suggest Client Tools Connectivity, Client Tools Backwards Compatibility and Management Tools - Complete (this will also include Management Tools - Basic)
    If you prefer to install to a drive other then the C: drive you can change the path
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Chose 'Named Instance' and enter the name of your choice e.g SIMS or SIMS2012
    Change the path to the location you want the instance installed to, if not the default location
    Click Next
    Click Next
    If you have created an account to run the services then enter the credentials now. (Leave as default if you haven't created an account for the services to use)
    Click Next
    Chose Mixed Mode and enter the password of your choice for the sa account
    If logged onto the machine as a domain administrator click Add Current User. If you are not logged onto the machine as a domain administrator then click Add and enter Administrator and click ok
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Click Install

7. Thanks to Boredguy from:

vikpaw (1st July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    LEA will be doing the SIMS migration for us , I don't think that installing SQL will be their part.
    If the LEA is doing the migration they should do.
    It would be like getting a car and then being told you got to put the engine in the bonnet yourself.

+1 to matt40k suggestion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    If you have created an account to run the services then enter the credentials now. (Leave as default if you haven't created an account for the services to use)
    Be careful with the account used. We've always had trouble when leaving the account as it is (NT Service).

The installation is fine however the Capita SQL2012 Migration Tool almost always fails when the SQL service is running under those credentials. It will throw up a really stupid, ambiguous unhelpful error message too (something about SQLUtilities.exe missing from BINN folder).

What we do is install SQL2012 using the default credentials, then go to Local Services and change the service to run as 'Local System' before running the Migration Tool. You can then change it back if required.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    Your assuming someone is being contracted to do the migration and not the OP

Anyway, the information from Capita says...
    Double click on the installation media

Click Installation and then click 'New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation
    Click OK
    Click Next
    Click Install
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Tick 'I accept the license terms' and click next
    Click Next
    Tick the Features that you require
    You have to tick Database Engine Services
    We also suggest Client Tools Connectivity, Client Tools Backwards Compatibility and Management Tools - Complete (this will also include Management Tools - Basic)
    If you prefer to install to a drive other then the C: drive you can change the path
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Chose 'Named Instance' and enter the name of your choice e.g SIMS or SIMS2012
    Change the path to the location you want the instance installed to, if not the default location
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Chose Mixed Mode and enter the password of your choice for the sa account
    If logged onto the machine as a domain administrator click Add Current User. If you are not logged onto the machine as a domain administrator then click Add and enter Administrator and click ok
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Click Next
    Click Install
    +1 to that. It's from SupportNet KB404497 - How do I install SQL 2012 in case anyone wants to keep an eye out for future changes. I posted it in a couple of threads yesterday.

One thread mentioned the only way to get it to work was to use Local System account for the
    SQL Agent and SQL Service

Thank Post
    We've been told by our local LEA that we NEED to upgrade our Sims.net server to SQL however they can't advise any instructions on how we do that as we don't buy our "admin" support from them.

In fact their exact email said:

Just to confirm that I do not have any further instructions that I can pass onto you which detail how to Install Full SQL Server onto an Admin Server, apart from the Capita ones that I have already provided to you. Capita only state the prerequisites for installing Full SQL Server and point all customers installing a full version of SQL Server to Microsoft.com.

I am sorry you have chosen not to purchase Admin Computer Support this financial year. For the secondary schools that have purchased Admin Computer Support, we are carrying out a full SQL 2012 software installation for them as part of the service, once they have confirmed to us that they have purchased the license. I have enclosed a copy of our leaflet in case you are interested in purchasing Admin Computer Support in the future.

Just to add we do pay the LEA for SIMS support just not "ADMIN" support.....
    Last edited by kennysarmy; 11th July 2014 at 10:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Install express using Capita's custom installer, then put the sql 2012 standard disc in, then upgrade edition.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread