+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Merging profile sessions in Technical; We are a new school and using SIMS comment banks for the first time. Unfortunately a couple of departments were ...
    Thank Post

Merging profile sessions

We are a new school and using SIMS comment banks for the first time. Unfortunately a couple of departments were late getting their comments to me, and I had to make the reporting session active before all the comments were in place. I have now worked out if I had put in blank place holders for those subjects I could have added comments later, d'oh! I created an extra session, added in the missing comments as a new comment bank, and am now faced with having to append an extra sheet to the reports - sloppy! Is there a fix for this, or is it a case of putting it down to experience? I have considered making those offending teachers cut and paste into the main report, but will I then be able to send this to linked docs? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately it will be a copy and paste job and depending on how many students/subjects it affects I'd be tempted to put it down to experience.

How easy it is to merge them will depend on how complex your report template is. Is it a page per subject or is it a row in a table? What might be easier is producing the Class Checking Sheet for those staff who were in your 2nd session which will give you a class worths of comments and then Generating your reports on your main session and then editting each one and inserting into the report there. Just remember not to regenerate after you have completed this part. This will be the only place you can edit the report that is linked to the Linked Documents (unless you get the staff to Open the profile from Linked Documents, add there stuff in and then upload back to DMS as a General Document)

Another little trick, that I don't know whether is supposed to work or not, is that if you have a session which is Active, you can create a new comment bank, setup the sections, comments and Course Links how you want it, and then copy this into your Active Report Session. You'll then need to go into your Manage Session and make those parts active, however it gets around the limitation on the odd occaision we've needed to (use at your own risk however!) - this might be a possibility to get you out of your current predicament though, but no guarentee it will work - if your session is in Review Mode then it won't (and is still a lot of copying and pasting)
    Last edited by Cache; 30th June 2014 at 08:26 PM.

3. Thanks to Cache from:

JohnRMoore (30th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks Cache. I don't understand how you would go about copying the course links into the Active Report Session. I try dragging areas from one comment bank to another, to no avail. I tried creating new areas in the existing bank, but then it wouldn't let me link a course because it said the session was active. If this is possible, I will give it a go. If it means those teachers have to re-enter their reports, so be it. If this IS possible, is should mean no cutting and pasting, shouldn't it? Alternatively, if I got the teachers to cut and paste from the docs, they may not have access. Would I be able to copy them all out into a shared area, do the cutting and pasting, and copy them all back? Once I have done this, will they print from SIMS, or does the print button regenerate the reports? Lots of questions, sorry!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's a while since I've worked in Profiles so they may have fixed it if you wern't supposed to be able to do it (although don't see why particularly).

I'm assuming that your second comment bank which you are using for your second session has all your course links set correctly, if not create a new comment bank (ie. Comment Bank for Merging) and Add your sections and link then to the correct Courses.

Then, on the Sections which are missing from your Main Comment bank, right click on it and select Copy Area. Then right click on you Main Comment Bank and choose Paste Area.

If you do this with one first, if you then go into Manage Sessions you'll be able to see if it has worked. Open up your session in Manage Sessions and then on the left hand side under Report Design you should see your new Course Section there which you have just copied across. Expand it and make sure that all of the Sections are active and on the right hand side under Course, add your classes that you need too appear if they aren't already there and then your staff should then be able to go in and add the comments in the correct session.

If it does work, then copy across the Comment Area's for any other missing sections for your main Comment Bank.

Does that make any sense? It is all dependant on where your session is currently set - is it in Active or Review?

Thank Post
    Wow that makes complete sense - I didn't see the copy area option - I hope it still exists. Thanks for your help, I am actually itching to get in and try it out! I'll let you know how it goes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good Luck!

Thank Post
    Thanks Cashe, it worked like a dream! I've just spent every spare minute of the day trying to get my reports to merge, only to discover there's a bunch of word settings you have to do first! I think the doomsday scenario of missing the reports printing deadline has now passed. Thanks again

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No problem, I was just starting to wonder if you'd managed to get it to work, very happy that it did for you!

10. Thanks to Cache from:

JohnRMoore (3rd July 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread