+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SOLUS 3.7 in Technical; Was SOLUS 3.7 released today as (re)planned? The latest thing about it I can see on the news widget on ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Talking SOLUS 3.7

Was SOLUS 3.7 released today as (re)planned? The latest thing about it I can see on the news widget on SupportNet is on the 20th about it having a revised release date.
    I need a link...

Thank Post
    I can imagine the release notes now...

-UI now 10% more cluttered and 20% less responsive.
    -Fixed bug where SOLUS would deploy to a computer when using correct username and password.
    -only compatible with x86 systems.

3. Thanks to robjduk from:

Cache (23rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    Then pulled after 3 days due to bug

Thank Post
    well that goes without saying

Thank Post
    Well,

We updated it the other day.

Logged first support case today, and I'm wondering whether to log a second case about fact Sims discover hasn't deployed to workstation after adding target 3 hours ago.

The UI is kinda different - whilst there's some improvements, some parts look to be more confusing so far (Given being used to the old system)

Has anyone else upgraded so far?

Thank Post
    Discover clients don't auto deploy in the same way SIMS and FMS ones do. You need to go into your last Discover upgrade deployment and re-deploy to that machine. This is unchanged from previous releases.

8. Thanks to splattthecat from:

IWDave (27th June 2014)

Thank Post
    realised that after my initial post... in any case, sims just pushed out the bug fix realease to 3.7 that simscfc was expecting

Thank Post
    For those not already aware, Capita have managed to balls things up yet again:

SOLUS3.7 An updated version is now available as SOLUS3.7.149.0

An issue has been discovered in the released version of SOLUS3.7 which can cause the Fileserver element of the imminent SIMS 2014 Summer Update to fail. This was not acceptable and needed to be resolved.

This has been fixed and we have re-issued SOLUS3.7.149.0 for all directly supported sites and support teams.

Customers who have already applied the original SOLUS3.7 release

You will need to upgrade to the SOLUS3 release called
    ‘Solus 3 – 3.7.149.0’

This will update your Deployment Service to 3.7.149.0 and leave the other already upgraded elements as they are.

We will be looking to de-authorise this release from SOLUS3 so if you have the 3.7 release scheduled would encourage you to replace this with the 3.7.149.0 update already available.

Note: New agents installed from now on will be at the version 3.7.149.0 but they are fundamentally the same as the existing ones versioned at 3.7.147.0.

Fortunately for us it's not much of an inconvenience but it does amaze how such a large company can get this stuff wrong time and time again.

Thank Post
    @MrMatt very annoying and embarrassing; sorry. The effect of the error is very minor but I accept that it does knock confidence.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMat View Post
    Fortunately for us it's not much of an inconvenience but it does amaze how such a large company can get this stuff wrong time and time again.
    Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMat View Post
    element of the imminent SIMS 2014 Summer Update to fail. This was not acceptable and needed to be resolved.
    Sounds like they've resolved it before it was released then... ie they've found a bug whilst they tested it?!?

The idea of agile is you build faster and more frequently, it will have more bugs, but they are smaller and they are resolved faster. Can you image how long it took to re-issue 22,000 CDs? Don't want to even think about when they used floppy discs!! The key issue is the timescale from you reporting an issue to it being resolved on your system, it doesn't matter if they do 1 patch or a 100. If that 1 patch takes 3 months to get applied on your system, you'll take those 100 patches that apply in 30secs any day. It looks like from this release on, see below, application fixes that normally require a re-release or you have to way 3-4 months for the next release can be issued like a database patch, but only via SOLUS3. Suddenly SOLUS3 looks a whole lot nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by SupportNet: ResourceID: 22743 - SOLUS 3.7 release information
    the ability to issue application fixes to SIMS workstations. This will help
    reduce the need to apply whole platform re-releases in the case of a critical
    fix in the front end being identified in a release.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Am I missing something?

Sounds like they've resolved it before it was released then... ie they've found a bug whilst they tested it?!?
    Maybe I interpreted it incorrectly but my impression is that it isn't just the SIMS Summer release that has a bug but the recent version of SOLUS3 that was released last week does too, hence why an updated version of S3 needs to be deployed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually quite a fan of S3. We've been using it for sometime and don't have an issue with it. My comment was solely on the fact that we have to re-release S3.7 only a few days after releasing it for the first time and while it isn't a huge inconvenience (although my re-release has just failed for some reason hmmmmm, best investigate!), it simply doesn't instill confidence.

In regards to the SIMS Summer Release, I don't have an issue with the Summer Release being postponed. As you say, it's much better that they've spotted the issue early and are hanging back a short while.

Thank Post
    I think the bug is with how SOLUS3 handles the SIMS release - I guess they didn't get it until the last moment - it's like when you write reports, you get issues cause the data is yucky and the data is yucky because the form validation is quite right but you don't know that the form validation isn't quite right until you write a report to look at the data... and the process can't start until someone enters the data into the system. Bit of chicken and egg.

Guess it's time to start looking at auto deploy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Guess it's time to start looking at auto deploy
    We can't really use auto deploy

For starters I have no idea where auto deploy now sits in 3.7... Seriously where is it? lol I can't find it.

Mainly however, we have 1 Deployment Service that controls all of our Primary Schools which totals about 66 servers (not my idea, this is how it was set up when I started and as the guy who set it up is claiming his job back in a few months, I didn't feel it was right to redo it all). We manually select about 10 schools to deploy each night over a week or so when the release arrives. With each school there's nearly always one or two machines that don't upgrade correctly (usually due to a teacher trying to log into SIMS!!) which with only 10 or so schools at a time is manageable, however you times those 1 or 2 machines by all 60 odd schools and you have a royal sh**storm of broken machines the morning after which I would not be able to manage.
    Last edited by MrMat; 30th June 2014 at 11:44 AM.

Thank Post

SOLUS 3.7

Ah... <expletive deleted>. Luckily the "one ring to rule them all" idea didn't work for us, god bless firewalls - did think about settings n many schools to a day of the week and get them into the habit of updates happening once a week on that set day. Then I moved teams
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 30th June 2014 at 12:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just spotted this on supportnet:

Upgrade issues using SOLUS3.7

An issue has been identified which is causing SOLUS3 to become unusable following an upgrade to the 3.7 release.

This issue has been created in previous versions of SOLUS3 where the SOLUS3 system has been moved to a different SQL Instance (for instance to \SQL2012 from \SQL2008). This issue will cause the upgrade to occur on the old SOLUS3 database, rather than the new one and the system will therefore stop functioning due to incompatibility issues.

Please avoid deploying SOLUS3.7 if you have made this move.

As stated above, this is not an issue with the 3.7 release, however we are looking at options to re-issue SOLUS3.7 ASAP containing a fix to prevent the issue from occurring.

Further information will be published shortly.
    My Solus3 deployment rolled back tonight for some reason, just wondering if it is now related to this since I disposed of all aspects of my old database.
    Last edited by Cache; 1st July 2014 at 06:52 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast