+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Scheduling one lesson within a block at a different time in NOVA T6 in Technical; Hi Our school has a 4 lesson day for KS3, 4 and 5. We are introducing a 'twilight' session for ...
    AHS

Thank Post

Scheduling one lesson within a block at a different time in NOVA T6

Hi

Our school has a 4 lesson day for KS3, 4 and 5. We are introducing a 'twilight' session for KS5 on a needs must basis - this will be the 5th lesson in the day.

Is it possible to do the following in NOVA T6/SIMS:
    • Schedule a block during the day for most teachers within a block, apart from one teacher who will have their lesson on another day as a twilight (ie period 5)
    • This lesson should appear on the teacher's timetable and the student's timetable
    • A register should also be taken on lesson monitor.

We have had a few twilight sessions this year but these have not been recorded on SIMS/lesson monitor...this has not work well.

Thank Post
    Add that lesson to the cycle structure

Set the block's min lessons a bit higher, this will allow you to schedule the block into that period 5 slot

Shift the lessons as needed

3. Thanks to nickbro from:

AHS (24th June 2014)

AHS

Thank Post
    Thank you for your response to my query. I have now scheduled all lessons and am at a stage where I am beginning to schedule the twilight lessons.

I have done what you asked but I have 2 teachers in the same block that require a twilight lesson – can these be held on different days? Also, will a register be able to be taken in SIMS for the twilight lessons?

Last edited by AHS; 23rd June 2014 at 03:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes you can do what you want, in this case you would increase the minimum periods by 2, build your blocks so that the 2 lessons you want in twilight are in rows on their own and then schedule those 2 sessions. I'd also right click on the columns/rows where you don't want twilight sessions in that block and protect it (can't remember the exact term) so that it puts a blank square there and then lock it - it will prevent the block from potentially reorganising it's self should you need to rebuild it at any point automatically.

Providing you have an additional slot for twilight in your timetable cycle then yes, it will work how you want. What you can do to prevent the slot being used by other year croups lower down the school is add a blanking code to each of your years/bands for the number of periods required and then schedule the blanking codes in the twilight slots for those year groups.

NovaT should then ignore the blanked periods should you try to use any of the autoscheduling functions (I think from memory).

6. Thanks to Cache from:

AHS (24th June 2014)

AHS

Thank Post
    Thank you for this.

I have now added Year Blanking Codes for Years 7 to 11. I have also scheduled the 2 teachers from the same block on different days and it works.

One additional question - can a teacher from one block (Year 12, Block B) be scheduled at the same time (Lesson 5 on Monday) as another teacher from a different block (Year 12, Block A)?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes they can, you would drag the block onto the slot where the existing block sits and it will put a lock/clash box up.

Put a tick so that it will lock and clash and the square will go Black which indicates more then one block is scheduled at that time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread