+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, TASC vs. Go4Schools vs. SLG in Technical; Originally Posted by Edu-IT They all do much of a muchness. For us it came down to how cost effective ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    They all do much of a muchness. For us it came down to how cost effective it was, how easily it is to manage and how good the support is. On all three points PARS is positive.
    Great, so TASC seem like front runners in terms of costing, support and useability.

Thanks for all your help, its always good to know peoples opinions who are using it as opposed to listening to a sales mans spiel, its appreciated!

Thank Post
    Ask Jenny Urey at PARS.

They have a demo site, although in practice I found this quite slow which didn't have a great impact on senior staff when I showed them. It may have improved recently though.

3. Thanks to woody from:

Olliesaurus (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Our new HT brought in Go4Schools and I got involved at the installation stage. I have to say they are very nice helpful people and it was a relatively painless installation. I don't think we've started to use it yet.

5. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Thank Post
    ~ Waits for @Schoolcomms, the forum sponsor to appear ~

Quote Originally Posted by Olliesaurus View Post
    parent portal to replace Bromcom
    Could I ask why your replacing it? Just asking out of interest - especially when it seem to be quite popular a few days ago - SLG - Access denied and any other advice - did something happen yesterday? Should I post some sunblock

Thank Post
    Got Go4Schools here too, seems to be going good. Haven't used the Student/Parent part yet, but have been using it for coming up on a Year for reports and behaviour. These don't get written back into sims but we never used reporting or behaviour in sims outside of core exams/tests. Attendance will write back to sims for the AM/PM marks if you go for that option. It means that Go4Schools is the only thing that teaching staff need access to, so one point of call. It's web based so can be used on any device with a web browser.

The interface is bit dated but it's better than SLG.

8. Thanks to nickbro from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    ~ Waits for @Schoolcomms, the forum sponsor to appear ~

Could I ask why your replacing it? Just asking out of interest - especially when it seem to be quite popular a few days ago - SLG - Access denied and any other advice - did something happen yesterday? Should I post some sunblock
    A few things really, the support isn't that great and we are unable to send emails from Bromcom because it doesn't support Google Apps SMTP settings, a change request was submitted so that it would support TLS but nothing really came of it.
    The SMTP issue might seem silly but it definitely adds more work to changing passwords and stuff.

Thank Post
    We use Go4Schools does what we need but nothing more

11. Thanks to aidenbran2000 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive been doing some work with SLG lately, and published a blog post with some changes coming soon...So, you think you know SIMS Learning Gateway? | thescarfedone's Blog

Im not going to lie - at launch, the Sharepoint nature of it made it a difficult solution to adopt. Now that Sharepoint is becoming more common in Schools, and there are some LAs that are hosting it - it takes some of the pain out of the adoption.

Really, it depends what you want to use the product for as to which is more appropriate. Insight is very good at what it does too, and I have looked at it a few times.

13. Thanks to TheScarfedOne from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Olliesaurus View Post
    A few things really, the support isn't that great and we are unable to send emails from Bromcom because it doesn't support Google Apps SMTP settings, a change request was submitted so that it would support TLS but nothing really came of it.
    The SMTP issue might seem silly but it definitely adds more work to changing passwords and stuff.
    Hi Olliesaurus,

You shouldn't have any issues sending emails from INSIGHT just because you use Google Apps for Email services. There are various Email options in INSIGHT that allow for this.

Might be useful for you to see this - https://support.google.com/a/answer/166852?hl=en
    As I'm aware that this can cause issues for some schools that use Google apps for Email.

TASC's Support Team work hard and are often complimented on the speed they reply to support requests.

I hope you find this useful.

Cheers,

grahughe

15. Thanks to grahughe from:

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use TASC here after miserably failing with SLG a few years ago. The difference is like night and day. TASC is so much better in every way, and is cheaper.

We have had 100% parent adoption on TASC for about 6 months now, every single parent uses it to report absences, read PDF reports, and check attendance levels. They love it.

Not tried Go4Schools but I can't see us every moving away from TASC Insight now we have all the parents on board.

EDIT: forgot to say that GMail works fine with TASC insight. We use it to send all our emails. Just bear in mind the 500 email limit per day if you are using the free account.
    Last edited by zag; 11th June 2014 at 03:06 PM.

Thank Post
    For those using Insight, has anybody got it set up with SSO and have it come up every time a student logs on so they see their own data? Or perhaps have it as their browser home page? If so I would be interested in performs speed wise and what spec server you run it on.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    For those using Insight, has anybody got it set up with SSO and have it come up every time a student logs on so they see their own data? Or perhaps have it as their browser home page? If so I would be interested in performs speed wise and what spec server you run it on.
    We've got the option but never used it. Its far more useful as a parent portal really.

Thank Post
    Asking a question here hoping that Insight users might pick it up...

I have recently had to upload an Interim Check (Sims individual report) for the same year group that are also in the middle of a profile session. I generate frequently while profiles are written which writes the document immediately to the DMS - but obviously we don't want half written reports displaying to parents. In SLG (and also in Schoolcomms when emailing I believe), you can select the report name that you wish to upload. Do other Insight users feel not in control when using the upload? There is potential to upload a letter that an administrator has linked to the student record that we would not wish to be displayed on Insight as well as the half finished profiles problems.

Is there a workaround to be more selective rather than choosing a date range?

Thanks for any ideas.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can batch convert reports yourself using the feature and turn off auto report distribution.

We've done that in the past but its a pain.

If you have a feature request, just ask them, they have implemented all our requests very quickly.

Thank Post
    Hey I've just been told we have a meeting with go4schools today and they want me to sit in. Does anyone have any technical/implementation information for go4schools I can't seem to find anything much on their site.

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12