+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Master Migration in Technical; Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm not breaking any rules in posting this here. I ...

Thank Post

SIMS Master Migration

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm not breaking any rules in posting this here. I have searched for an existing topic but I couldn't find one.

I have a few questions regarding a SIMS Master machine. We are interested in moving our SIMS master onto either a new Windows 7 machine or an existing Server 2008 machine. I have contacted Capita but because we are not a customer they can't help and our local authority is saying the same so I'm on my own here a bit as the powers that be wish to remain in-house.

So my questions are as follows:

Is it possible to migrate an existing Office Master to Server 2008, if so how?
    The same for Windows 7.
    What are the prerequisites for both?
    Is there anything else I should know?

I am able to install client machines etc because that's all we've needed so far but because the Master is so important I felt it best to gain some best practise knowledge before pressing on.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Master?

If you have SIMS, how are you not a Capita customer?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, should have started that with: Welcome to the Forum!

Very confused by the post is all!

Thank Post
    Yea our staff call the SIMS Server the Master and I guess I've picked it up along the way.

In regards to Capita, I'm not sure what the situation is regarding contracts I'm just responding to what they have told me.

Thank Post
    Is this what Capita refers to as a SIMs Workgroup setup?

I have seen these before but they always worry me a bit, who do you pay for your maintenance and SIMS upgrades each year?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok the Capita contract thing aside, you want to move the SIMS server/database to a new machine? Plenty on here can help you there.

Thank Post
    As you can tell I'm a bit of a SIMS Novice. I could do with a bit of a step by step guide if there is one available? I know I'm asking a lot as a brand new member but I am in a bit of a pickle.

Thank Post
    I am afraid I have never moved the SIMS DB to a fresh installation. Always had our support providers do it. Sz.

Thank Post
    I've just drawn up a Po to pay someone else to do this. SIMS is too important to mess up.

Thank Post
    Moving the SIMS database etc... over to another machine is pretty easy shouldn't take too long. Might be best to take this chance to upgrade to SQL2012 as well so you don't have to go through that in the future.

If you have never done it before I would recommend you get someone in to help (making sure you get to watch) as I've had quite a few installs throw me random wobblies which can be a bit daunting if you don't have some experiences to fall back on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd agree with the above. Back in the day I used to build and move SIMS left right and centre. Very much agree take the opportunity to upgrade on the current box as far as you can, then move to a fresh clean install on your new box. Really, the move is:

Install SIMS on new box
    Backup SIMS db
    Move to new location
    Restore SIMS db

Make sure your Connect.ini files are pointing to the new server (or as many do, have a redirected .ini to a central location)
    Make sure you remember to copy over the DocuStore folders too, and other folders I forget. Been about 5 years since I last did it!

End of the day, you can do all of this before you finally switch off the current setup so you can be sure it is working ok!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    You really need the support of your - yes you guessed it - support team. If you mess around and they won't support you it could cost you your job in a worst case scenario.

It can be done. First thing to do is make sure you have an account on SupportNet There are official documents there as well as the threads here that can help.

I'm presuming that the master you're talking about is the PC nominated to act as the SIMS Server - sounds like a primary school set up and is quite common when only admin use it.

Is it possible to migrate an existing Office Master to Server 2008, if so how?
    The same for Windows 7.
    What are the prerequisites for both?
    Is there anything else I should know?
    The process will be the same for server or windows - it's advisable to use a server if it has capacity as it will be more expandable and more likely to use increased RAM which it will need.

You can do a test install - so not migrating, just creating a copy. All you need is a backup of the existing database. You can restore this to a new machine or another machine that has SQL installed, though it should be prepped with a SIMS installation disk - which is available only from Capita or your support team. The only difference in process is that on a live migration you need to reconfigure all the clients to look at the new server, whereas for testing you can just use the test 'server' as the client as well.

Please do double check your support situation first though and read up the other threads here regarding this as well as the documentation on SupportNet

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone for your comments, I really do appreciate all of them.

So I just install SIMS on the new machine as I would a normal client machine, backup the existing database (assuming I'd be using DBAttach), copy the files and then restore the database and finally point everything in the right direction. Oh and copy of the extra files.

For some reason I was expecting this to be a much more difficult process.

Vikpaw, you're right it's for a primary school and we currently have one of the office PCs acting as the Server. I've just got used to using the staffs terminology.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    @Prophead - no it's not that easy.
    You need to run the server install. It's the same file, with different options. It would require a full setups folder too, and the only safe way to do this is using what is called an Installable ISO, which will install SQL Express if you need it and then all Server files. You don't have to have the client installed on the server, but in your situation it probably is so the 'server' can be used as a client.

There are difficulties like moving docstorage and making sure the new setup knows where it is, and also any other third party routines that tap in to SIMS need adjusting, e.g. B2B.

Also, if you use FMS, the two must be kept in sync, particularly if payroll links exist.

Please seek official advice and read up first. Try a copy i.e. make a dummy copy and see whether it works, but don't try a migration until you're happy it all works.

Thank Post
    Thanks Vikpaw, I think building a Dummy machine first is the best thing to do. Thanks again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread