+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SLG - Access denied and any other advice in Technical; Alright, So we have had SIMS SLG for about 2-3 years and it has never been used. I am now ...
    Thank Post

SLG - Access denied and any other advice

Alright,

So we have had SIMS SLG for about 2-3 years and it has never been used. I am now tasked with getting it up and running but after playing around with it again today I can see why I gave up on it before its extremely clunky and very very very slow. Anyway enough moaning..

I keep getting Access denied when I log in as any teacher do they need to be in a specific group or something for this to work?

Also any general tips/advice/documentation on how to make the thing look and feel usable would be great..

Thanks

Thank Post
    Scrap it and get Bromcomms Teachers Web Folder for staff and their MyChildAtSchool for parents, I found it a far more polished off system that works very well.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Has it been fully updated?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BKGarry View Post
    Scrap it and get Bromcomms Teachers Web Folder for staff and their MyChildAtSchool for parents, I found it a far more polished off system that works very well.
    hahaha we went from SIMS to Bromcom now we are back on SIMS soo....yeah

Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Has it been fully updated?
    I thought Capita did the updates or is there another process I have to complete?

Thanks for the replies

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post

I thought Capita did the updates or is there another process I have to complete?
    There is a separate process to updating SLG. We stopped using it months ago, but it should be more than a couple of upgrades off SIMS version.

Thank Post
    We ditched ours.
    When it was setup staff didn't use it, even though they had the training it was always logging calls to do the work for them.
    Since I was -re-evaluated I dont touch SIMS or SLG, and so all the problems were deflected back to their training.

Im not sure how we tick the reporting back to parents tickbox, which is nice

Thank Post
    Logged it with support waiting for the call back

Not suprised it was ditched its pretty clunky and not very user friendly but thats what you get if you use Sharepoint..

Thank Post
    Strangely enough I had a conversation with one of the mods on here on Friday who sang SLG's praises!

Thank Post
    Personally, I cannot give a comprehensive overview of SLG, I used it 3 years ago, as part of a very complex BSF setup, which is now slightly less complex (the LEA pulled the ICT contract) and I found it frustrating and unintuitive at the time, and IMHO I thought bromcoms MCAS was better for our parents than SLG.

But u also fund sharepoint online hard to use, and as such never touched it.

Thank Post
    You have to remember SLG is a web part\App for SharePoint and SharePoint is more of a framework and neither are a out-of-the-box solutions. Saying SharePoint is clunky and not very user friendly is untrue. If you look at successful SharePoint setups you'll notice they don't look anything like the out-of-the-box SharePoint setup. It's not that they haven't heavy customized it, it's that they've planned it correctly and set all the options correctly. SharePoint is very flexible, almost to a fault. With that said, would I use SharePoint in a school. Prob not, why, well unless your going commit to it, it's worthless. And I don't mean throw money at Capita! The problem is it's a framework, if you think about it in terms of PHP, you can get a PHP developer, but if your using a framework like Zend\Laravel, you'll be counter productive if your PHP developer is not following the framework rules, so you need to get a web designer who knows SharePoint. SLG certainly isn't set and forget which I suspect most people were expecting.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Strangely enough I had a conversation with one of the mods on here on Friday who sang SLG's praises!
    I don't have a problem with SLG as a concept I just have a problem with the amount of work involved in getting the thing in a presentable state for use in school this is more of a criticism of the amount of resources the school needs to commit to the project. Sharepoint is a complex beast and I don't envy the team working on the backend of things but compared to other products I find it difficult to work with however saying that I do realise not many products offer the same level of customisation as sharepoint hence why its so popular globally.

@matt40k - You're right maybe my expectations were for a more out-of-the-box product. The school have definitely under estimated the amount of commitment needed to get this working how we want it. When I say clunky I am alluding to the manner in which you have to configure the front end I find there a many clicks needed to achieve something that on similar 'platform' would be far easier/quicker however I conceded these other platforms don't carry the same amount of flexibility that sharepoint offers. Maybe I will retract my clunky/not user friendly comments until I have it up and running :P

Thank Post
    Alright,

So we have had SIMS SLG for about 2-3 years and it has never been used. I am now tasked with getting it up and running but after playing around with it again today I can see why I gave up on it before its extremely clunky and very very very slow. Anyway enough moaning..

I keep getting Access denied when I log in as any teacher do they need to be in a specific group or something for this to work?

Also any general tips/advice/documentation on how to make the thing look and feel usable would be great..

Thanks
    Have you manually run the provisioning script, when you provision new users in Sims it's not instant in SLG. There should be a shortcut on your server desktop to privision users instantly, try that. If it's not that are you putting the the full username in ie abcd.smithf?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Have you manually run the provisioning script, when you provision new users in Sims it's not instant in SLG. There should be a shortcut on your server desktop to privision users instantly, try that. If it's not that are you putting the the full username in ie abcd.smithf?
    Yeah mate all good found the shortcut yesterday cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    I bet i can guess who that is

Yeah mate all good found the shortcut yesterday cheers
    That's good if you got it working now - they do need to be a specific OU which the provisioning script should do for you. I thought it should run on a schedule though, and could actually be initiated from within SIMS. Worth checking if you're going to pursue using it.

You can use other third party tools with SIMS to replicate SLG behaviour - they do have lots of partners and they are all mentioned in this forum in one place or another so no need to name drop

The one current benefit is that you have access to the SIMS app which is FREE with SLG - so ask for that, it looks way better, though functions may be limited currently.

Also, if you are interested in skinning your sharepoint installation i met a guy a while back who designed or had some product that would do that for you, i can dig out the details if you need. I think the website was down for update when i last looked.

15. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Griff (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I bet i can guess who that is

That's good if you got it working now - they do need to be a specific OU which the provisioning script should do for you. I thought it should run on a schedule though, and could actually be initiated from within SIMS. Worth checking if you're going to pursue using it.

You can use other third party tools with SIMS to replicate SLG behaviour - they do have lots of partners and they are all mentioned in this forum in one place or another so no need to name drop

The one current benefit is that you have access to the SIMS app which is FREE with SLG - so ask for that, it looks way better, though functions may be limited currently.

Also, if you are interested in skinning your sharepoint installation i met a guy a while back who designed or had some product that would do that for you, i can dig out the details if you need. I think the website was down for update when i last looked.
    Cheers Vik, I just setup the script on a scheduled task found some good documentation on SLG via another LEA site which I have been skimming through. I think our main objective is just to get staff using it for remote work then push on from there. Link here if anyone else is interested.. https://learning.calderdale.gov.uk/S...k/default.aspx

I just spoke with Capita and they are getting someone to fix our theme as it had a few white spaces in strange places. But I wouldn't mind grabbing those details off you mate if its not too much trouble

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast