+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Mandatory Fields in Technical; Ok, so this may prove to be a stupid question, and a simple one to answer, but is there any ...

Thank Post

Mandatory Fields

Ok, so this may prove to be a stupid question, and a simple one to answer, but is there any way of making some fields mandatory when filling it details? For instance, in Behaviour Management, if there were certain fields that we wanted to ensure were filled out, could we do it?!

Cheers in advance

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I don't think so but some already are else it won't let you save.

Thank Post
    I thought that might be the case. Some already are, so I was hoping there would be a setting that could be changed to change other fields to mandatory, eg. Location etc

Thank Post
    You need to be careful about mandatory fields. Schools need to get children into classes ASAP and that means getting them into the MIS. Forcing entry into fields risks the guess just to get the child onto the system. Better to allow a null entry and come back later.

5. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

CAM (27th May 2014)

Thank Post
    I wasn't after it for basic child data to be input on the system. I was after it for, specifically, in the Behaviour Management, so some fields, which are often overlooked, are made mandatory so staff have to fill them out

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @PhilNeal what you need is a procedure that can be configured by the school (to dictate their 'mandatory' fields) and then run to return all the missing information...

... or is that Census?

Thank Post
    It's just down to policing it and getting the backing of whoever is responsible for that area. You can help them with reports, so they can get on top of the culprits not putting the info in.
    I'm sure it wouldn't have happened as much on paper, but online people seem to think skipping something because they "don't have time" is okay.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is why I love and loathe the census, it is a ton of work but helps to spot and fill in blanks and errors with the data.

Thank Post
    @CAM this is one of the issues that will need to be addressed if the grand DfE data gathering exercise takes place; there won't be a census day and a forced clean-up.
    @Wabey. You probably know if you enter the behaviour via the class (right click), location is auto-filled.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    this is one of the issues that will need to be addressed if the grand DfE data gathering exercise takes place; there won't be a census day and a forced clean-up.
    Oh I do hope you now get the same level of backlash I endured at the slightest mention of DX

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    @CAM this is one of the issues that will need to be addressed if the grand DfE data gathering exercise takes place; there won't be a census day and a forced clean-up.
    @Wabey. You probably know if you enter the behaviour via the class (right click), location is auto-filled.
    I do, yes..but thanks! It's mainly for the retrospective addition of behaviour that doesn't happen in timetabled lessons etc.

I've logged a call with Capita as well, but thought if there was a way, Edugeek would respond a whole lot quicker!

Thank Post
    We disallowed right click as they didn't have to fill in a description and would never go back later to do it!
    If you add it via a class using the Behaviour button in links they at least get the whole form to fill in.

Depending on who is doing the recording maybe you can train them to use that and it will fill in lesson info, but not location. Maybe you can get them to always add via the main AM register so it's always the same.. I know it'll never happen, and they won't bother changing it to be correct either.

You really have to crack down on it. How are you using location, we used to have every subject listed, and also other entries for outside, breaktime, before school etc because that worked for how we wanted to report.

Thank Post
    We just have our different blocks listed, as well as "Zones" that our staff are on duty in. I guess staff are going to have be drilled into using it...and those that don't do it taken out the back and never seen again...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wabey View Post
    .... I guess staff are going to have be drilled into using it...and those that don't do it taken out the back and never seen again...
    ...or promoted to middle management

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread