+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Summer 2014 in Technical; We upgraded last night - Upgrade seems to have gone fine. No complaints from teachers so far. I've just logged ...

Thank Post
    We upgraded last night - Upgrade seems to have gone fine. No complaints from teachers so far.

I've just logged an issue this morning that a custom report we run on a daily basis via command exporter is now showing users that according to the report definition I'd expect to be excluded, and were excluded in the spring release. Don't suppose anyone that has upgraded has spotted anything similar on any reports?

Paul

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by minimoo View Post
    We upgraded last night - Upgrade seems to have gone fine. No complaints from teachers so far.

I've just logged an issue this morning that a custom report we run on a daily basis via command exporter is now showing users that according to the report definition I'd expect to be excluded, and were excluded in the spring release. Don't suppose anyone that has upgraded has spotted anything similar on any reports?

Paul
    So brave...

Thank Post
    SIMS 2014 Summer Release -- Reporting Issue – Please Read Before Applying New Release
    We have been made aware of a potential problem in the SIMS 2014 Summer release that will cause an error when running some user-defined reports. If you have not yet upgraded to the Summer release we ask that you please hold off until the end of the day when we have had time to further investigate and provide a solution.

We understand the issue is that when a report is run that contains a blank column in a sub-report then an ‘Object reference not set to an instance of an object’ error will appear. Although all other areas of SIMS will continue to be usable, the report will not run.

We are looking at solutions to resolve this and will post an update on Supportnet by COB today (03/07/14).

We apologise for any inconvenience that this might cause whilst we investigate this issue further. Please feel free to email me directly if you have any particular concerns or questions at [removed email address]

Regards,
    Jonathan Wood
    SIMS Product Manager (Technical and Releases)
    Indeed he is.

Thank Post
    We had a half day yesterday for prospective year 7 open day - so it was convenient time. Capita *had* been getting better recently with not doing re-releases I thought without 5 minutes of a release I thought - although that might just be a case of me not noticing them and waiting a week normally.

Issue Jonathan's talking about seems to be a different issue then I've got, but same sort of area, so i'm guessing probably related

Unfortunately for me, the custom report that runs was creating AD users, so it's created ~2000 AD users that having fixed my script to work around the sims area, is now dumping those back out the AD.

Paul

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by minimoo View Post
    Capita *had* been getting better recently with not doing re-releases
    They had ?????

Thank Post
    IIRC, they did like 4 releases of the summer 2012 release, and I don't think they re-released spring 2014? I'll grant you in autumn and last summer they did re-release - I think it's a case of myself not noticing as we probably weren't affected by the issues. Equally, we moved to Solus 3 quite early on after it's initial release - for the first 3-4 quarterly updates, we hit some timing/bug/other issue in solus 3 with each update, whereas, now it does actually run semi-smoothly - so It does feel *better*

There's still a few issues that I think capita could improve on to make life easier for end users - as an obvious example, how they handle what happens if sims is open and the end user doesn't see the "please close sims in the next 2 minutes message". Lets do this morning's workflow (that ~5 different staff hit each update):

1) Office Cover Manager arrives at work at 7:30 AM
    2) Logs on to sims and hits "sims.net icon".
    3) Whilst waiting for it to load (and before logging in) goes off to make cap of tea
    4) Solus gives her a 2 minute warning to close sims.net for the update
    5) Office Lady returns with cup of tea, enters username and password
    6) SIMs displays a dotnet fault trace saying "assembly versions don't match"
    7) Office Staff send an email to all staff stating that cover information will be delayed as Sims is broken
    8) 8:00AM - IT staff arrive, reboot pc for pending file change happens
    9) 8:15AM Staff get cover information for the day as the SIMs problem has been fixed.

I guess I can expect to add a step 10 of "Email: we are redeploying the summer update as Sims is broken" in a few days.

Paul

7. Thanks to minimoo from:

zag (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    @minimoo I'm pleased to say that V3.8 is planned to allow forced closure of SIMS and immediate upgrading should SIMS not be at the correct version.

9. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

zag (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Cool!!! I still remember Sally (previous solus analyst) giving the answer that came back to her of "we don't really want to kill sims.net if it's open when an update happens", and thinking that's nuts

It sounds like 3.8 may fix some of the last 'design issues' in solus3 that actually cause grief on a regular basis - at least for us. The only issue that I think will remain if the fixes you describe go in, and I believe is specific to us - is that we sometimes see the contents of some of the supporting DLL files for the agent get zero'd, if a PC Bluescreen's. I've never seen that in my life to any file apart from 3 dll's in the solus directory, and i'm fairly confident I can't blame Capita for this...

So It's definitely getting there

Thank Post
    @minimoo I agree that killing the SIMS session can't do any harm as the upgrade taking place would have invalidated any changes that had been made by that user.

When Jon calls you please discuss the bluescreen.

Thank Post

SIMS Summer 2014

Great news everyone!!!

SIMS 2014 Summer Release - Update Please Read

We have fixed the problem with blank columns in reports, however further concerns have been raised over Assessment Templates, Individual Reports and the Post 16 Return.

We are investigating solutions to these and will post an update on SupportNet as soon as we have a confirmed release date.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this might cause whilst we investigate this issue further.
    Regards,
    Jon
    Last edited by vikpaw; 4th July 2014 at 09:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts

SIMS Summer 2014

Oh dear, it's going to be one of those releases is it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Jon is gonna be pulling his hair out @PhilNeal. Glad the problems have been spotted quickly. With the amount of changes in reporting and assessment, its not surprising that every situation couldn't be foreseen. At least not many schools will have applied it.

Thank Post
    I haven't got that much hair left to pull out

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lol! I can't talk either

Thank Post
    looks like i will be holding off rolling this out until the summer holidays

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast