+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Documents in Facility Admin in Technical; Hello All, Sorry if this has been covered, I have had a quick search around and can't seem to find ...
    Thank Post

Documents in Facility Admin

Hello All,

Sorry if this has been covered, I have had a quick search around and can't seem to find a thread on this.
    We have moved from Facility to SIMS but I have migrated Facility into a dark cupboard for historical data.
    All seems fine after the migration apart from the documents. I have installed the document server add on. Moved the documents folder to the new server and pointed to settings to the new folders. I have checked the shares and windows permissions and all seems ok.
    When looking at the documents they are not picking their document names up and when you try and open a file it says: That Document item no longer exists.
    Any help on this would massively appreciated as I've had to resort to "just for men" to hide the grey.

Thank Post
    We use Facility here but I have just spotted this old comment which may be useful??

SIMS Document Server, no documents found

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 915 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have seen this problem in Facility from time-to-time: Particularly so after an upgrade. I have asked the Helpdesk in the past and they have logged in and applied our licences which kicked things into shape without a server restart.

Happy days!

Thank Post
    Just to clear this up; the location of the documents is stored in the table, so if you move the document, they will no longer be found; if you update the settings any new documents will be stored in the new location. In a live environment, it would be normal for the support team to assist you in running a script to update the old location to the new location.
    Whilst this may not be the easiest and immediate solution you're looking for, hopefully i've pointed you in the right direction.
    Do check your license key; if you can see the document settings in facility, you've got it licensed. Check the key in eportal too if it's only an issue with eportal.

Mic

Thank Post
    I think from the OP he has moved AWAY from Facility/ePortal and gone to SIMS. @Watty08 - have you tried the info on the link I posted?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. I started looking Mighty but its not documents in sims that needs repairing, it is in facility. I've took Facility off of our MIS server to free up resources for SIMS (we're a Dell managed school and are limited to what we can install). Our exams officer and some admin staff often pop on to get old data for references and suck like.
    Luckily I took a vmware backup before I migrated Facility. The migrated instance still works ok but I don't want to stand that up for staff to use. I'm wondering whether to take a backup and restore it on the migrated Facility install.

Thank Post
    Ahhhhh, I thought you'd said you'd migrated from Facility to SIMS so I assumed you were trying to get the old Documents from Facility to work in SIMS!

If I remember correctly, don't you have to change the user account that one of the Facility services uses for startup in order for the Documents add-on to work?

8. Thanks to themightymrp from:

Watty08 (21st May 2014)

Thank Post
    Ohhh I'm not sure, I didn't see that in the migration document. I'll have a quick look though thanks.

Thank Post
    Just changed the "SQL Server Integration Service" and "SQL Full text filter" with a domain account for its login rather than built in service.
    Still no joy.

Thank Post
    Is it within Facility_SPM or the ePortal application that you can't get to the Documents? (or both). Just checked ours out and it is the Facility Data Server service which logs on using a domain account.

In Facility, what do your paths look like for the document storage? I assume you set it under the Data menu -> document storage -> settings ?

Thank Post
    Just in Facility Mighty. Not installing eportal as off site access isn't needed any more. Yeah under database/document storage/ settings.
    The path for the folders are set to: \\servername\facility$\docstore\doc (and temp for the temporary one).
    I wondered if it was because of an hidden share but it worked ok on the last server.
    Thanks for the help on this, Its gratefully appreciated.

Thank Post
    No worries mate.

Its nothing to do with a hidden share. Our settings are set to

\\facility\DOCTSTORE$\DATASTORE
    \\facility\DOCSTORE$\TEMP

Out of interest, could the folder path name be case sensitive? Our has the capitals where shown above.... I've seen stranger glitches. If you browse to the paths in your system I assume you do see the documents?

Thank Post
    I think you'll find that @michael2k6 is correct on this one. The document storage in Facility stores the full virtual path of the file inside the database, so when you move the location of the document storage around the system can lose track of where it thinks those files should now be. If you take a look in the DOCCONTENT table you might see that the FileRef field is still referencing an old location for the documents from before your migration. If this does not match up with the current location of the document storage folders then this is likely the cause of the issue.

I guess there are two possible solutions, neither of which are all that great. You could either relocate the document storage folders back to their original location on the network so that Facility understands where those file references point to. Alternatively, if you need to keep the document storage on your archive server, you would likely need to update the file refs to point to their new location. This in itself could be fairly involved and potentially dangerous as you'd be editing the SQL tables directly. If you need to do this there are some pointers I could give that might help you, but you'd be in an "at your own risk" situation, so please bear that in mind.

Thank Post
    I'm trying to remember how we did it once, we migrated our facility install to a new server about 3 years ago and obviously had to change all the paths then. I don't remember having any difficulties or scripts to run though??

Thank Post
    Hmm, perhaps I'm assuming the worst in terms of how intelligent the system is with rebuilding the documents from the paths stored in that table then? In truth, I do think it's somewhat ridiculous that the system even bothers to store the full virtual paths in the table since it should only need the file name and the config settings telling it where the temp storage is to fully recreate the original file from the repository. Perhaps it is able to pick out just the filename section and use that with the settings, but the OP's issue would certainly indicate this may not be the case?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast