+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Crashes constantly in Technical; Hi all, We are using SIMS in my school and it is constantly crashing. It has been doing this for ...

Thank Post

SIMS Crashes constantly

Hi all,

We are using SIMS in my school and it is constantly crashing.
    It has been doing this for years (apparently).
    I have recently joined and decided I would try to figure out why.

The server it self it less than 12 months old and could handle much more than just SIMS (but all it does is the SQL and SIMS), so perfectly good for the job.

Anyway, the instance it self has been moved from server to server (to preserve the data). It is running on Server 2012 R2.
    SIMS seems to crash mostly when reading messaged. You get the error like this:

SIMS.png

Has anyone had the same problem, or similar? And been able to fix it ?

Thanks,

Phil

(P.S. I am very tired and have written this quite quickly, so there could be all sorts or grammar and spelling mistakes!! Sorry!).

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Apparentley:
    This is caused by two users attempting to update the same SQL table at the same time. Re-try the process at a later time and the error will not occur.

The solution is try later. But I would check who it is happening with and why they are trying to save the same things. Maybe a duplication of roles?

Thank Post
    Is this using the built-in internal messaging system, or are you using InTouch? Does it occur anywhere else in SIMS?

Either way, as creese says, the issue is that two processes are trying to update the same row in the database simultaneously. As this is impossible, the system picks one of the two processes to kill off in order to allow the other one to make the requested changes. If it occurs really frequently and in a lot of different areas of the software, something is seriously wrong with your database. Have you raised this with your support unit? This shouldn't really occur regularly enough to be a problem because the database shouldn't lock rows for long enough that two users will hit the same row with any kind of regularity.
    Last edited by Sdrawkcab; 20th May 2014 at 12:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi, many thanks for the quick reply!!!

Well the error you see above is actually from my screen (IT Admin for the school).
    I haven't read my messages on SIMS for about a month and have around 60. Opening each one and deleting them in turn eventually causes SIMS to crash on my workstation (as it does for many other uses doing the same thing, or things like registers).
    In my mind, I'm not actually DOING anything (not saving...etc), just deleting messages from my own SIMS in box.

I'm not going at a great speed as I do read the messages people send me, so it's not like I'm opening, deleting, opening, deleting...etc. There are pauses between each action.
    The crash can occur either when opening a message or deleting one.

I watched "pulsar.exe" and it takes no more than 64mb or RAM (seen some of the crash errors about high memory usage).

I'm not really one for SQL, so not sure what to look for, sorry!! .

Hope this makes sense.
    Phil

Thank Post
    It is the built in system and mostly occurs in messaging, but it has been happening else where like registers...etc.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    If it is constantly crashing, I suggest you get your support team involved quickly. This kind of problem can seriously undermine user's confidence in the system. Capita will probably ask for a copy of the data to test. The sooner you get it to them the sooner the problem will go away.

Thank Post
    Had this happening to us for years, mostly in messaging. Everyone and their dog has looked at the issue but have got no further forward. Solution - stop using the messaging system. We've gone from all users having several dozen crashes per day to a couple per week.

Thank Post
    From what I've been told, Capita have been involved, but as j17sparky has said, no resolution to the problem has been found.
    We are trying to get users to use email anyway, so until we get a chance to do a complete re-install (which would be huge I'm guessing as it would need to be from scratch), I think maybe disabled messaging (if possible???) and force users to email?

Phil

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you given the server an overnight restart? That should clear out any processes that haven't died and are hanging around.

Thank Post
    Please drop me a note and I will assign someone to solving the problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Had someone perchance cocked up an SQL migration or similar and left the SQL database in single user mode?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread