+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, refresh base data in Technical; I am hoping someone can offer me some advice because I am getting myself tied up in knots here. I ...

Thank Post

refresh base data

I am hoping someone can offer me some advice because I am getting myself tied up in knots here. I am about to start work on a timetable for a school that is some distance away; the timetable is quite complex but the school does not currently use Options software. I have not worked 'remotely' like this before and am a bit rusty on file management. I have been sent the current year's timetable as a Construction set but do not have direct access to their server in order to get updated info re. staff, subjects and rooms. The question is, and this is where I am getting myself confused, how can I get all the base info required to make a start on the new timetable? Should I:
    a) Transfer Curriculum for 2014-15, send them the new file for them to Refresh Base Data and they then send it back to me?
    b) Transfer Curriculum and manually update everything - I really don't want to do this if possible.
    c) Insist on access to the server and I can then Transfer Curriculum and Refresh Data 'remotely'?
    d) Once they have updated all base data, send me a file? If so, and this is where I am getting confused, what sort of file is best to send?
    d) Any other suggestions?
    I would really appreciate a little advice here and many thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Personally, i would go with a combo of the options.
    You can ask them to refresh the data for you, but i'd sooner do it myself and have remote access.
    Really, they (you) should be working through the End of Year procedures. Can you not get on to a PC there via some kind of remote desktop, you only need to run SIMS on the remote PC, you don't need server access.

In theory, you can transfer the curriculum and create new files etc. You can even manually input any base data you need. The file usually is set up with the SQL link needed, and ties in with the local system. I would set up the new year on their system, and create the file there. Refresh base data. Then you can use it offline as though you were running the satellite version of Nova.
    If they update all base data, they can just send you teh nova file as well, if you trust them to do that.

Double check on any pre-requisites from teh end of year procedures, so if anything goes wrong, you can tell support that you ticked all the boxes. You are supposed to sort out next year's structure, and staffing etc.

Sorry, waffle. Basically, get remote access and follow the procedures. Once you have a dataset with the future staff, rooms etc you need, you can work offline anywhere and crack on with the hard part of the job and sorting out the classes / schedules. If some base data changes you can add it manually so long as you match spellings and codes with their SIMS system, it will get picked up.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

chjinbkk (19th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Many thanks Vikpaw. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice. The fact that you have written about a combination of approaches is the reason why I was getting myself confused - which way to go about this? In order for me to commence working remotely all I need is the new base data and if there are only a few small changes then I can input them myself and then send them back to SQL once I have completed the timetable. After all, all we are talking about is changes to teachers, subjects and rooms and then I can crack on with the timetable. The admin staff at the school are currently doing all the SIMS end of year stuff so perhaps once they have completed that task then they can send me a NOVA file - maybe that is the best way to go and we are then assured of compatibility with teachers names/codes etc. Thanks again Vikpaw.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread