+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Solus 3 3.5.20 - 3.6.94 in Technical; Problem with upgrading clients from 3.5.20 - 3.6.94. The vast majority have automatically updated but there's about 20 which we ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Solus 3 3.5.20 - 3.6.94

Problem with upgrading clients from 3.5.20 - 3.6.94. The vast majority have automatically updated but there's about 20 which we are having to manually update.
    This has only become an issue since we have re-installed SIMS on Server 2012 with SQL 2012, upgrades are fine but Agent upgrades are not we have been told this could be a DNS issue but we have been 'flushing' and this has not helped!!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We get around 20 not updating as well.

No reason shown in Solus, we have to reinstall the agent then it works.

DNS looks fine to me as well.

Its so much worse than Solus 2 to the end user

Thank Post
    With any new computers these are now saying install failed The remote machine cannot be contacted. We have deleted it from dns ran a flush, reregistered it, you can ping it fine and find it on the network through Solus3 ?

Thank Post
    You don't mention whether you then closed and re-opened the SOLUS 3 Deployment Server UI after the DNS flushing ... I often found that until I did that it didn't work ... I'm guessing that it doesn't do things live and works form a cached copy created at launch.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try manually uninstalling the agent. If its on there already it won't install again.

Thank Post
    ..we just had about 10 machines that said 'update successful' in SOLUS3 go onto the client launch SIMS incompatible database and the agent is sat there telling me its been updated. So I manually uninstall the agent... remove it from the SOLUS agent window click save put all your password in for the 100th time that day (great feature guys nice and secure we really need that) then I close the UI, go onto the client machine uninstall the agent via control panel then BACK onto the SOLUS UI and re-add the agent ooh yeah you gotta put those logon details in again then it pulls down everything correctly ........ SOLUS3 lovers please come and blame my DNS ive not heard that one for a while now..

7. Thanks to Griff from:

zag (15th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Looks like windows firewall was playing up on our SIMS server, we have now redone it and voila ! Uninstall of 3.5.20 and reinstall of new Solus3 3.6.94 worked !
    Last edited by grahamd22; 15th May 2014 at 11:21 AM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    ..we just had about 10 machines that said 'update successful' in SOLUS3 go onto the client launch SIMS incompatible database and the agent is sat there telling me its been updated. So I manually uninstall the agent... remove it from the SOLUS agent window click save put all your password in for the 100th time that day (great feature guys nice and secure we really need that) then I close the UI, go onto the client machine uninstall the agent via control panel then BACK onto the SOLUS UI and re-add the agent ooh yeah you gotta put those logon details in again then it pulls down everything correctly ........ SOLUS3 lovers please come and blame my DNS ive not heard that one for a while now..
    This is pretty much exactly the same in our place.

10. Thanks to zag from:

Griff (16th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Sometimes we found that if there had been a previous installation, old school style SOLUS2, it installed to Program Files regardless of the system architecture of Windows and recorded that fact in the registry somewhere. When SOLUS3 installs it is smart enough to install in Program Files x86, resulting in it installing a second copy alongside the first rather than updating what was there originally. There are half a dozen machines which for various reasons I haven't and don't currently want to re-build that suffer from this, and I have to maintain a list of them to manually copy the freshly updated files to the older location.

12. Thanks to CyberDrac from:

zag (15th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberDrac View Post
    Sometimes we found that if there had been a previous installation, old school style SOLUS2, it installed to Program Files regardless of the system architecture of Windows and recorded that fact in the registry somewhere. When SOLUS3 installs it is smart enough to install in Program Files x86, resulting in it installing a second copy alongside the first rather than updating what was there originally. There are half a dozen machines which for various reasons I haven't and don't currently want to re-build that suffer from this, and I have to maintain a list of them to manually copy the freshly updated files to the older location.
    Where SIMS and FMS are installed, this can be configured in the workstation settings in the SIMS.ini tab.
    For some reason its also in SOLUS3 agents --> Update Enviroment --> SIMS/FMS Channel --> FMS/SIMS workstation Select Computers
    Last edited by Ghostgame; 16th May 2014 at 10:17 AM.

14. Thanks to Ghostgame from:

CyberDrac (16th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Well spotted, and duly noted, but the other 180ish machines are fine, and I'd rather stick with 'correct' installation location so there's no overwhelming need to mess with the odd half a dozen, they'll get re-built at some point and be fine from that point onwards, but some have manually installed software that I'd rather leave alone until I absolutely have to.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread