+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS and Linux in Technical; We currently use SIMS.net, but unless Microsoft replace Vista soon, we are almost certainly switching to Linux across the school. ...

Thank Post

SIMS and Linux

We currently use SIMS.net, but unless Microsoft replace Vista soon, we are almost certainly switching to Linux across the school. Does anyone know of a full web based interface to SIMS.net in the future (including FMS, registrations, timetabling and the other complex tasks)? Alternatively do they plan on making a native Linux client available?

If there is no way to do this with SIMS (no, VMs are not an option), then can alternative systems be recommended.

While I am on the subject of changing software suites, Becta file format specifications in the new(ish) "tech-spec for institutional infrastructures" lists Open Document Format as the required format for office applications. Since Microsoft does not support this, when will SIMS meet the Becta standard and allow other office suites to be used? (For example, Star Office, Open Office, IBM Workplace, Abiword, Google Docs, Wordperfect, Kword). The other file formats allowed include .txt and .rtf (which are not really viable for most things).

Thank Post

Re: SIMS and Linux

Capita sell Sharepoint web parts (Learning Gateway) which allow web access to SIMS. I don't believe you could use this instead of the usual client though.

When you say no VMs, does this include ruling out using terminal services/citrix as this is probably the most viable option.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I think the chance of Capita being able to recompile SIMS to run in Mono is minimal. They have enough problems getting it running on one platform. You could conceivably do a linux migration as long as you keep some MS terminal servers for SIMS as SIMS does run quite nicely in Citrix or windows terminal services. Remember that Capita are an MS partner so have commercial interest in supporting a MS only environment.

Whilst MS don't support ODT it is possible to use SUN's ODT plugin for office. It's possible to get it to save ODT as default to help ease migration. Also wrt SIMS in a TS environment :- you only need the office license for the Terminal Server that SIMS runs on.

Thank Post

Interesting point, Terminal Services is an option.

Most of the time SIMS is only run on a couple of dozen machines. There is a burst of activity at AM/PM registration, so is there a web part for this?

Thank Post

There is a burst of activity at AM/PM registration, so is there a web part for this?
    Yeah, but it's not cheap.

Also wrt SIMS in a TS environment :- you only need the office license for the Terminal Server that SIMS runs on.
    Are you sure about this? Is there any info regarding this on Microsoft's site to support this? I was under the impression that you needed a license for each client device that used Office.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/he...403011033.aspx

Thank Post

CMIS is mostly web-based if a SIMS->CMIS migration would be more cost effective?

Thank Post

Quote::
    Also wrt SIMS in a TS environment :- you only need the office license for the Terminal Server that SIMS runs on.

Are you sure about this? Is there any info regarding this on Microsoft's site to support this? I was under the impression that you needed a license for each client device that used Office.
    your right, you need an office license for each device.

Thank Post

We already have office licenses for the current machines, so that wouldn't be a problem. Rather than being lazy and ask here, I'm going to look up the required specs for the terminal server hardware. I am sure that will be publicly available.

Thank Post

Oh, and many thanks for the answers everybody.

Thank Post

I'd recommend the terminal services route too - but if the vast majority of staff are just using it for registration, id go with the webparts.

Full on migration to something like Hebron is a nice thought, but it's alot of work on top of a school wide OS change.

Kyle

Thank Post

2x application server has a windows server and a linux client

i have experimented with this before

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ethain
    We already have office licenses for the current machines, so that wouldn't be a problem.
    It's not a problem now, but please bear in mind that at some point Capita will probably make Office 2007 a requirement for running certain parts of SIMS so you may still end up buying more Office licenses.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ethain
    While I am on the subject of changing software suites, Becta file format specifications in the new(ish) "tech-spec for institutional infrastructures" lists Open Document Format as the required format for office applications. Since Microsoft does not support this, when will SIMS meet the Becta standard and allow other office suites to be used? (For example, Star Office, Open Office, IBM Workplace, Abiword, Google Docs, Wordperfect, Kword). The other file formats allowed include .txt and .rtf (which are not really viable for most things).
    Technically if they support txt and rtf then they are fine but i think long term I can see capita moving to using an open standard. But think at moment and rightly so the main thing is to finish moving everything over to cp3.

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    i think long term I can see capita moving to using an open standard.
    <snigger>

sorry :|

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I can confirm that Sims.NET works fine as a published app from a Citrix terminal server, using Linux as a client. Pars works too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast