+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS and Linux in Technical; More very useful replies. I am off on holiday now, so will have to continue research and testing etc when ...

Thank Post

Re: SIMS and Linux

More very useful replies. I am off on holiday now, so will have to continue research and testing etc when I get back. Thank you all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Terminal Services and Windows 2003 would be an option then you could published the lot and use it via a web browser in linux (As long as you didn't use Citrix IE client that is!)

Wes

Thank Post

Install SIMS on a Windows Terminal Server and run a Windows Terminal Session using a RDP client on the on the nix boxes. Best of Both worlds.

Thank Post
    I only know one LEA and I think its near Leeds not quite sure will dig into this a bit more and report back , there is a SIMS suite for Linux base on unbuntu 0S

Thank Post
    You might want to speak to Orwell High School, in Felixstowe on the East Coast of England, they are linux base

I think its about time that the LibLabCon got their own programmer who can write a free open source software for IMS system.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by infoseeker View Post
    I think its about time that the LibLabCon got their own programmer who can write a free open source software for IMS system.
    I don't think Capita would be happy about that.

Thank Post
    I think Capita needs to think on its ground here , because if they did make a move to Linux market I , think all schools would save loads of money and hence Capita could still sell their product at Market value.

I really like unbuntu OS and I feel its the right direction that the education market should go to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Capita, Microsoft and the UK Govt - all one big conspiracy?

Thank Post
    Webman's hit the nail on the head in my opinion; a shame but if schools can't move to Open Office because SIMS won't work with it, there's some big fish already in situ!

By the way, it's Ubuntu not unbuntu and there are several schools using linux to the desktop; I guess it just depends upon what your needs are and just how much detail (less interpretation) is defined from the exam board.

Thank Post
    You might want to speak to Orwell High School, in Felixstowe on the East Coast of England, they are linux base

So not only a .gov IT project, but a .gov IT project where they're going to write their own software? Are you suggesting this in the happy knowledge that we'll all be retired before they pull their heads out of their arses and get something produced?
    Last edited by pete; 16th March 2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: is > in

Thank Post

Orwell High School (Where I work) binned Linux around 4-5 years ago as it was simply not practical, no matter how much of a lovely idea it was. We still get enquiries from all sorts of places asking how it's going!

Stuart

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    Orwell High School (Where I work) binned Linux around 4-5 years ago as it was simply not practical, no matter how much of a lovely idea it was. We still get enquiries from all sorts of places asking how it's going!

Stuart
    I think that it was more to do with politics than with practicality if I remember correctly, although you may be able to put me straight on this? I ran a whole school Linux network at Skegness for 6 years and it was more than practical, and it worked reliably all the time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrysaddington View Post
    I think that it was more to do with politics than with practicality if I remember correctly, although you may be able to put me straight on this? I ran a whole school Linux network at Skegness for 6 years and it was more than practical, and it worked reliably all the time.
    Heh, I still get "you should talk to that Garry Saddington bloke, he's got Linux running on Wyse terminals" occasionally.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Heh, I still get "you should talk to that Garry Saddington bloke, he's got Linux running on Wyse terminals" occasionally.
    Yes we did, got 500 of them at about 3 each from Ebay. Replaced them with HP dedicated thin clients in the end though. However, the problems with Linux were amply illustrated at Skegness, because when I left to work full time on ScholarPack, instead of looking for a Linux sysadmin, they took the path of least resistance (but massive cost) and reverted to MS. Amusing really as we had all up to date software - 2009 versions when I left, and they went back to Win 2000. Still that's life.

Thank Post
    I think I did talk it over with your tech there - fairly long time ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by garrysaddington View Post
    Still that's life.
    No that's schools being bloody clueless about IT and not having proper hiring practises for support staff.

"Hey, we can pay $bit_extra/look a bit longer/make sure the job spec is correct and get what we need to continue stable network or we can hire $random_cheap_ms-only_asshat and pay $moon_on_stick to rejig everything and suffer the disruption that'll cause, what shall we do?"

"Oh, $moon_on_stick rejig, please."

I'm writing the job spec for my successor on stone tablets and padlocking them to SMT's legs if I leave.
    Last edited by pete; 16th March 2010 at 01:19 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast