+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Data Transfer (Was Changing from SIMS) in Technical; Originally Posted by GREED I'm sorry, can you clarify from your statement above that you a) think I am an ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I'm sorry, can you clarify from your statement above that you a) think I am an idiot,
    I do not think you are an idiot.
    b) think my blog is wrong,
    I think your blog is wrong. I hope I have been clear what and why.
    c) therefore my opinion is wrong? As opposed to you disagree with it?
    There are statements in our discussion you have made as fact which are clearly wrong. There are statements pertaining to the future which being of the future are necessarily uncertain, which in my opinion will turn out to be wrong.
    Your use of speech marks at describing me an education consultant implies an element of sarcasm... would you care to elaborate on that?
    Sorry, they are probably wrong - intended to show they were my words not yours. I use a lot of speech marks because a lot of disagreements are more over the meaning of words, rather than the reality the words represent. You might for instance call yourself a "technical consultant" or any one of many possibilities. People can get precious about such things. No offence was intended to you, I was simply trying to get across why I might give more weight to your opinion than I would to anyone walking in off the street.
    Apologies if I have read wrong, that seems to be what you are saying and from that I can decide if this is still worth me being involved.

I felt as have others that is was clear in my writing where I was describing items of DX (I'm liking this term I seem to have started by the way!) As described to me and elements of analysis and supposition. I'm sorry if you have not read it in that way. From the start I have very much looked to inform and provide an opinion based on what I know and will continue to do so openly. The writen statements by DfE or whoever are just one aspect of the story and you must know that they never alone tell the whole story. Elements have too come from conversations across the sector as well as taking into account trends here and elsewhere.
    Sure and IMO probably your biggest mistake is not being clear in differentiating the state of the project (what it is actually configured to deliver) and the body of opinion that forms round that (the aspirational and visionary stuff that might or might not happen).
    You are a switched on chap I can tell so I suggest you get involved as early as you can and find out all the facts for yourself and form your own opinions. Maybe get involved with the ISB currently that is the best source of information on DX publicly accessible. Those meeting are always fun!
    I don't have time to get involved. I'm interested as I said, because it represents a 'risk' on the horizon which is close enough to effect operational and financial strategic planning. Trying to be ahead of the game and have a sense of what is coming along and what might be disruptive, is part of my job.

2. Thanks to pcstru from:

GREED (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I'm sorry, can you clarify from your statement above that you a) think I am an idiot, b) think my blog is wrong, c) therefore my opinion is wrong? As opposed to you disagree with it?

Your use of speech marks at describing me an education consultant implies an element of sarcasm... would you care to elaborate on that?

Apologies if I have read wrong, that seems to be what you are saying and from that I can decide if this is still worth me being involved.

I didn't read anything wrong. It defo means you're not an idiot hence the arguing, the rest is, well, opinion which is just scrambled up onion pi! :O)
    I didn't read the stress on blog / consultant etc as derogatory, just highlights.

This is a really interesting thread - though i don't know where you guys find the time, my breaks aren't long enough to read these posts so the day job take precedence

The disagreements are what make it interesting, if we all agreed, there'd be no reason to be here and there'd be nothing left to put right.

What i have found often is that we do spend a lot of time picking holes in ideas and schemes, and not enough coming up with ways to fix the issues or getting the info to the right people. I'm speaking generally, i know a lot of the contributors are involved in these projects and attend the meetings, i just mean it feels like whatever we 'fix' here ( in a lot of the threads ) rarely ends up on the right desk / in front of the right decision maker to be relevant or acted on.

Personally i'm all for data sharing and pushing the data out automatically. If it involves changing the way data is put in, and coming up with a control mechanism to say which is master then i'm all for it. I'm fed up of notes being added to the wrong field and incomplete data. People rarely remember to fill in the gaps and put things right, especially in a sector where there isn't a regular reason to collate and send off data / stats. I've spend years with different systems coming up with audit reports to try and correct data, but there is always an excuse to workaround issue A, or wait for next month, when we'll know about process B.

EDIT: ah! you beat me cos my internet is too slow!
    Last edited by vikpaw; 14th May 2014 at 08:45 AM.

4. Thanks to vikpaw from:

GREED (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough @pcstru I accept all those points. Clear there is no personal thing going on can put that to bed.

Respect you feel I and the article is wrong, others have felt it is right, others are mixed. That's the trials of speaking publicly. I'm always happy to be proved wrong, regardless of all this I'm thrilled that the blog elicited such responses for or against, and the bottom line is it has opened your eyes to the project which can only be a good thing! I accept that the article contains opinion on the future which cannot be taken as fact. I stand by the point that DX will come barring a government change at the election. As I say I hope this thread is still going and intend to revisit when it does.

The blog stays, as is, as I still believe it is right, and will continue to do more on this and other subjects.

I would LOVE contributions from yourself if you were interested at any time. You are outspoken and back what you believe which is important and you are knowledgeable about the sector.

---

Anyways back to the OP!
    Last edited by GREED; 14th May 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @vikpaw one of the perks of being a BDM Vik... I develop the market how I see fit during the day

And night

Thank Post
    I see your blog @GREED and I raise you:
    DfE big plans for big data – Matt Smith

8. 2 Thanks to matt40k:

GREED (21st May 2014), pcstru (22nd May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Oh I see we are playing that sort of game!!

Thank Post
    I think that's a bit more measured but it's still somewhat overoptimistic.

I have been giving the issues more thought and I hope to find time to comment further. I'd quite like to flesh out some of the issues on the costs/savings and why that makes the project a political target. I'd also like to go into some of the data issues - the concepts of ownership, quality and the mismatch of a central warehouse/brokerage with functional process driven requirements. No idea when I will find the time, so maybe this thread will have some zombie resurrections to look forward to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Be great to hear your thoughts. But... We on here cannot in any way influence the project. You have the opportunity to by getting involved with the dfe consultations. As I do.

I mean this plainly but respectfully, instead of moaning and picking holes (rightly so if there are issues from a school perspective) in a forum that cannot make any difference... and so it is just moaning, get involved and moan to the people who can make changes.

Also moan here too because this conversation is fascinating!

Thank Post
    I'll be interesting in your post @pcstru, are you thinking in terms of ContactPoint? IE a central data holding alot of data? My point was, it already exists, it's just automating the processes so manual files aren't used. It just doesn't seem right that flat files are used for such a critical system nowadays.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's also pulling all those and more disparate siloed databases/collections together. We seem to keep missing this in our conversations.

Thank Post
    Speak for yourself, last paragraph:
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It’s just this change is the DfE getting his house in order, it’s bring all the various siloed services into one roof, like the governmentis doing with all it’s websites.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yer... I mean until this point. It seems to be overlooked or dismissed as a minor thing. It is a major improvement for all involved.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The page you tried to access is classified as: New URL

URL : DfE big plans for big data – Matt Smith
    Stupid filters. How new is your site?

Thank Post
    New - what, two days.

18. Thanks to matt40k from:

CAM (22nd May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Stupid filters. How new is your site?
    New - what, two days.
    Don't put yourself down the 40k website has been around for ages.
    I was going to read your post, then i saw the IE logo and thought, am i walking into a Sales pitch... - i know you're in bed with Microsoft

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast