+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Changing from SIMS in Technical; What does everyone think of SIMS? I'm looking at alternative systems and am wondering if other people have changed over ...

Thank Post

Changing from SIMS

What does everyone think of SIMS? I'm looking at alternative systems and am wondering if other people have changed over to an alternative?

Thank Post
    Just going the other way from CMIS to Sims and it's a refreshing change, Sims is soooo much better, faster and easier to use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Just going the other way from CMIS to Sims and it's a refreshing change, Sims is soooo much better, faster and easier to use.
    In what areas? Never used CMIS

Thank Post
    IMHO in just about every way possible lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    IMHO in just about every way possible lol
    Nothing is 100% perfect. I know some people have issues with certain parts of the system. It's also an old system that needs upgrading instead of patching up.

Thank Post
    I like Sims and it works very well. ALTHOUGH, it's a nightmare to setup here as it's centrally hosted, I need to make sure that the Hosts file is changed and replace and then I need to set up a static IP address as county will only let a specific IP range access the Sims servers, plus all the la-dee-da with upgrades and having to make sure staff can read/write to the C: drive makes it all a bit silly! Nothing's perfect I suppose though and it works well for the end users isn't that the most important thing!?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I like Sims and it works very well. ALTHOUGH, it's a nightmare to setup here as it's centrally hosted, I need to make sure that the Hosts file is changed and replace and then I need to set up a static IP address as county will only let a specific IP range access the Sims servers, plus all the la-dee-da with upgrades and having to make sure staff can read/write to the C: drive makes it all a bit silly! Nothing's perfect I suppose though and it works well for the end users isn't that the most important thing!?
    Is there an alternative Web MIS out there so you don't have to do all those things? In which you can access from an device PC, Mac, tablet, phone, etc? Also, that can write to the "standard" formats?

8. Thanks to kinster from:

GraemeBC (8th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster View Post
    Is there an alternative Web MIS out there so you don't have to do all those things? In which you can access from an device PC, Mac, tablet, phone, etc? Also, that can write to the "standard" formats?
    I don't know, if anyone knows of any please feel free to give me a headsup!

Thank Post
    scholarpack is cloud based i believe

Thank Post
    Thankyou although, it does worry me having all that data and information about students, staff etc... and it's out of our hands. County I can pretty much trust but can we trust company's like that with the horror stories of data mining going around?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Thankyou although, it does worry me having all that data and information about students, staff etc... and it's out of our hands. County I can pretty much trust but can we trust company's like that with the horror stories of data mining going around?
    Web based doesn't mean the data be stored in the "clouds". It could be stored directly at the LA but the interface be a Web application.

Thank Post
    So is Progresso, though quite a few people have had issues with it so far.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,746 Posts
    This one for @GREED to comment on... and I challenge the MIS sellers who are not forum sponsors to refrain from pushing their products in this thread.

The best MIS for your school very much depends on the type of school and the age range of your students. SIMS is fantastic at some things and less good at others. Schools in the independent sector have different needs to their maintained equivalents. Primary Schools have different needs to Secondaries... Do you want the finance package to be integrated or are you using a third party package such as SIMS because you are an independent school are part of a Multi Academy Trust?

And Early Years provision is whole new ball game. Put it this way, the other settings I have spoken to about this seem to come up with the answer "Well we have some very good excel spreadsheets for registration" as none of the providers effectively covers the needs of pre-schools... yet.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 8th May 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    This one for @GREED to comment on... and I challenge the MIS sellers who are not forum sponsors to refrain from pushing their products in this thread.

The best MIS for your school very much depends on the type of school and the age range of your students. SIMS is fantastic at some things and less good at others. Schools in the independent sector have different needs to their maintained equivalents. Primary Schools have different needs to Secondaries... Do you want the finance package to be integrated or are you using a third party package such as SIMS because you are an independent school are part of a Multi Academy Trust?

And Early Years provision is whole new ball game. Put it this way, the other settings I have spoken to about this seem to come up with the answer "Well we have some very good excel spreadsheets for registration" as none of the providers effectively covers the needs of pre-schools... yet.
    I see the current systems as bloatware. Doing too much that is needed. Be good to have a system with the barebones and a base to add on to.

Thank Post
    I don't mean to be rude @kinster but we've seen alot of MIS suppliers floating around and you look alot like one. If are a school, then apologies, could you give a bit more info on your school, like @elsiegee40 said, you choice will depending on your setup. If your a simple primary then yes, SIMS is pretty bloated and something like ScholarPack would be better. If you're a secondary then ScholarPack isn't the way to go, they are primary focused. Also, like @elsiegee40 said, @GREED has pull together some data that you can download as a spreadsheet, for free, which will give you a list of schools and their MIS - so you can find out who has actually changed from SIMS to whatever MIS your interested in AND more importantly completed the Autumn Census!

17. Thanks to matt40k from:

GraemeBC (8th May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast