+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
MIS Systems Thread, Changing from SIMS in Technical; @ kinster is your background CMS Systems?...

Thank Post
    @kinster is your background CMS Systems?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcrest View Post
    @kinster is your background CMS Systems?
    @Barcrest I have worked with CMS systems and have worked on NHS systems in the past such as the patient records. In my own opinion, I see this quite similar.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I really wish they were, there would be more scope for industry to invest and cross sell into this market... but it isn't

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I really wish they were, there would be more scope for industry to invest and cross sell into this market... but it isn't
    I meant development-wise and the red-tape.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    Apologies if it's a bit off topic, but I hate to see something going unanswered when there "is" information out there.

This is an excerpt from the Census Tech spec.

This field must be used to identify the core aim within a vocational EFA funded study programme for students on roll from 1st August 2013 onwards (including those continuing from the 2012/13 academic year). As the autumn census collects learning aims taken in the previous and current academic year this will mean that a core aim should be returned for each year where a vocational EFA funded study programme is being followed.

If a student is following an academic programme a core aim does not need to be identified.

The core aim is the substantive learning aim being undertaken in a student’s programme of study. Please refer to the EFA funding documentation for further information about the core aim including definitions of academic and vocational provision.

it continues at greater length but I have edited to avoid TL: DR

You might also want to double check the documentation at DfE documentation but there isn't any Autumn 2014 documentation up there yet.
    So it only affects the BTEC kids and we set it to their BTEC course?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster View Post
    I meant development-wise and the red-tape.
    I get what you are saying but there really is so much more to it than that. I personally don't agree with 'red-tape' other than you have to be able to supply the data in certain standards at certain times. Regulation falls on a much wider scale common to all with the likes of DPA

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I would say 10 years ago Bromcom and their introduction of electronic registers was a big idea, not much else has really happened, personally, big data is the next big thing. I've been looking at Arbor and how they mash up those lovely extracts the DfE produce from all those returns schools do and give them a overview of the your school vs similar vs all schools. I think, this is the way forward.
    Thank you @matt40k

Slight correction on the years - it wasn't 10 years ago, it was nearly 22 years ago back in 1992 when EARS - the big idea was invented!

Also in 2002, we had an LA that "hosted" their schools electronic registration application and database remotely on their servers. This was a big idea too for its time.

Since @GREED found it interesting history under general chat forum - I copied pasted the 'grey folders' history here for this forum too.

Thank you @GREED.

We only want to correct and qualify some of the comments made so far - as follows:

Bromcom 'grey' folders were invented in 1992. It was covered in December 1992as invention in the Times new paper dedicating a half-page and was on BBC Tomorrow World's TV show in January 1993. Cost was £245 each, batteries lasted 6 months and transmission range was very similar to WiFi however speed much slower. Because packets sent/received were miniscule (say under 8Kbyte), with good wireless coverage a class list was downloaded within 1-2 minutes. We wouldn't be surprised if some will say it took longer than this but that is all to do with coverage of wireless network and make up of the building - just as one can have coverage difficulties with WiFi today.

The 'grey folders' did evolve into:

· QWERTY versions circa 1994
    · A5 size circa 1996
    · WiFi versions early 2000
    · Finally touch colour screen with Microsoft Windows CE in circa 2005

'Software version' was known as “WinFolder” that run on any laptops and PCs as a 'client software'. This was a small an EXE (as today's 'apps' concept) and which only needed TCP/IP connection. "WinFolder was introduced late1990s, was very popular and was replaced with web version called “WebFolder”. WebFolder is still widely used today as a 'stand alone' product and also formed part of today’s Bromcom Cloud MIS.

Anyone referencing ‘grey folder’ should also be referring to ‘DOS’ bases TEXT screen MIS software of 1990s to 2003/4 and in fact at that time contemporary and competing product ‘OMR’– yes paper based, Optical Mark Readers! I am sure some OMRs will be still in use.

We hope the above is read as interesting history and not leveled at anyone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Ali, just be careful not to milk the leniency too far!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster View Post
    @Barcrest I have worked with CMS systems and have worked on NHS systems in the past such as the patient records. In my own opinion, I see this quite similar.
    Thought you did but the 2 I found you linked to don't exist any more. I figured this thred was a test the water thred for you coding something, I have seen enough of these threds in my time with regards to my own software and competitors.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromcom-PR View Post
    it wasn't 10 years ago, it was nearly 22 years ago back in 1992
    God that is depressing, still got schools doing paper registers and sending it to the main office!! Still that's cultural rather then technical, worried yet @GREED about the DX project?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    God that is depressing, still got schools doing paper registers and sending it to the main office!! Still that's cultural rather then technical, worried yet @GREED about the DX project?
    Of course I am worried! That's why I am spreading awareness (or fear!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789