+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sick Bay Attendance in Technical; Hi, Is anyone using SIMS to record sick bay attendance? If so, how are you doing it. We've been asked ...

Thank Post

Sick Bay Attendance

Hi,

Is anyone using SIMS to record sick bay attendance? If so, how are you doing it.

We've been asked how it can be done here and my initial thought is to use a zero-point behaviour type to record this information.

All other ideas welcome.

Thank Post
    I have done it using MIS other than SIMS using that method, and then it became a standard feature 'medical events'. As as aside, please tell me your sick bay is star trek themed?

Thank Post
    Apologies for the complete lack of help, but I couldn't resist! (At least you've got a bump).

Bones-McCoy.jpg

4. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

Gatt (1st May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Apologies for the complete lack of help, but I couldn't resist! (At least you've got a bump).

Bones-McCoy.jpg
    Damn - beat me to it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Please tell me you sick pay looks remotely like that too!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Please tell me you sick pay looks remotely like that too!
    Sorry to disappoint, it looks nothing like this.

I should have known a forum like this would pick up on the Star Wars* theme; not really into that stuff myself.

*joke

8. Thanks to Seb1780 from:

GREED (2nd May 2014)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I haven't seen any way of recording data items like this in SIMS. You can add notes to students in various ways but holding a central list of medical incidents covering multiple students has so far eluded me. Our admin team keeps a spreadsheet with a list of incidents so anyone with ideas please come forwards! I think User Defined Fields may be too simple in terms of what data they can hold?

As for Star Wars....AHEM!

10. Thanks to CAM from:

Seb1780 (3rd May 2014)

Thank Post
    Could you create a new attendance code which links to the present mark as they are still in school but not in lesson.

You could then run a report and the number of 'appearances' in the sick bay will show if thats what your wanting to report.

12. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

Seb1780 (3rd May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I haven't seen any way of recording data items like this in SIMS. You can add notes to students in various ways but holding a central list of medical incidents covering multiple students has so far eluded me. Our admin team keeps a spreadsheet with a list of incidents so anyone with ideas please come forwards! I think User Defined Fields may be too simple in terms of what data they can hold?

As for Star Wars....AHEM!
    I'm answering Today of all days, so allow me one... : May the fourth help you -

Section 7 of Student Details (Main page, not the Teacher view) has a full area for recording Medical Information, e.g. blood group, dietary needs, medical conditions, notes and last of all Medical Events.

Our clinic use this area extensively to record under 4 main headings : Medical Inspection, Accident, Illness, Immunisation. Each of these have configurable lookups so you can sub-categorise.

The area stores the date of visit, notes, and a follow up date if required. It's quite easy to report on, the difficulty comes when you attach notes as they are stored in a different area, so you have to be careful with them, but it was improved quite a few updates back.

It depends exactly what you want to do / record and how you'll use that info. The reports can show how many times someone has attended in a date range or you can report by type of incident.

For us the process was that a student signed out of their school and got a slip to go to the "Sick Bay", they would then be recorded on the system and if needed treated / sent home. Otherwise, they are discharged with the slip stating the details / time, and they have to go back to the office to sign in again. It has always worked well.

I think it's a core part of the product so you should be able to configure it.

14. 2 Thanks to vikpaw:

CAM (6th May 2014), Seb1780 (4th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb1780 View Post
    I should have known a forum like this would pick up on the Star Wars* theme; not really into that stuff myself.
    *joke
    We can tell, it was really more of a Trek theme, but today will doubly confuse ya ;p

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I'm answering Today of all days, so allow me one... : May the fourth help you -

Section 7 of Student Details (Main page, not the Teacher view) has a full area for recording Medical Information, e.g. blood group, dietary needs, medical conditions, notes and last of all Medical Events.

Our clinic use this area extensively to record under 4 main headings : Medical Inspection, Accident, Illness, Immunisation. Each of these have configurable lookups so you can sub-categorise.

The area stores the date of visit, notes, and a follow up date if required. It's quite easy to report on, the difficulty comes when you attach notes as they are stored in a different area, so you have to be careful with them, but it was improved quite a few updates back.

It depends exactly what you want to do / record and how you'll use that info. The reports can show how many times someone has attended in a date range or you can report by type of incident.

For us the process was that a student signed out of their school and got a slip to go to the "Sick Bay", they would then be recorded on the system and if needed treated / sent home. Otherwise, they are discharged with the slip stating the details / time, and they have to go back to the office to sign in again. It has always worked well.

I think it's a core part of the product so you should be able to configure it.
    Are you able to report on it to get a list of all medical details? Sounds better then the spreadsheet.

Thank Post
    Thanks @vikpaw - I looked into using the Medical Events section due to its configurability and I showed some dummy data to our pastoral team who have now decided that the old paper way is probably best! Sometimes!!
    @CAM, we use the Medical Conditions section - it is highly configurable and we run reports based on the data here; thing such as who's allergic to %food%, who has hay-fever etc.

Thank Post
    That's crazy @Seb1780 !
    @CAM yep, as above - you can just run off lists of conditions or you can run off a class list with issues highlighted. The only complex part is if you rely on the notes.
    At one point we used to have Other Allergy as a type, and then in the notes list the exact one. This was painful due to all notes being in a single table, so harder to link to the correct item.

We ended up creating each allergy type as it's own in the drop down, so it's much easier to use and report on. Though, the reporting on notes was improved a lot a while back, so that it was hard linked to the correct entry.

Thank Post
    Here's an example of event records

Forename Surname Reg Event type Description Date
    tom smith Y2-1 Medical Inspection Ear, Nose and Throat 08-Sep-12
    dick jones Y6-3 Medical Inspection Eyes 08-Sep-12
    harry weston Y6-5 Medical Inspection Gastrointestinal 09-Sep-12
    ahmed albaik Y9-3 Medical Inspection Ear, Nose and Throat 09-Sep-12
    billy silly Y1-2 Medical Inspection Musculoskeletal 09-Sep-12
    jonny wilks Y9-1 Medical Inspection Gastrointestinal 09-Sep-12
    sally shaw Y5-5 Medical Inspection Musculoskeletal 10-Sep-12
    wendy whiner Y2-2 Medical Inspection Gastrointestinal 10-Sep-12
    barbie doll Y9-2 Illness Fever 19-Sep-12
    may be IB1-5 Medical Inspection Fever 31-Oct-12
    The description is a lookup subtype of the event type which you can configure. More details would be written in the notes if required.

20. Thanks to vikpaw from:

CAM (7th May 2014)

Thank Post
    I would have thought you could deal with this as an alternative curriculum event. This way they can be recorded in attendance but out of the normal class.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread