+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Discover - reporting on transfer success/failure - monitoring in Technical; Our Discover installs are always falling over -transfers failing, dynamic groups no longer updating etc etc. especially after an upgrade. ...

Thank Post

SIMS Discover - reporting on transfer success/failure - monitoring

Our Discover installs are always falling over -transfers failing, dynamic groups no longer updating etc etc. especially after an upgrade.

How are people monitoring the transfer successes and failures? I can of course setup a Centrastage monitor for the Transfer and Group Sync services to laert me their stoppage, but those services running doesn't of course mean the transfers are working.

Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    As long as I install the server and client on my SIMS server, and update the client on my machine it stays working for me - are you updating discover as soon as you update SIMS?

Thank Post
    Monitoring wise...
    Not tried to be honest, few ideas however. Query the database - a bit crooked, you would need to check the status as well as the date. Look at the log file and some how parse it, might be a bit of a pain, but in theory you'd get raw logs so you'll be half way home as far as debugging any problems. Final option, doesn't the stupid thing create scheduled tasks? Can't you just get the status - anything other then exit code of 0 is a fail, again, also check the last run date.

Thank Post
    thanks.

I have a feeling our upgrade procedures have been somewhat less than methodical and there's now a mix of 'NT AUTHORITY', 'DiscoverGS', 'DiscoverGroupSynch', DiscoverT, DiscoverTransfer etc users out there that are being used to run the services. Upgrades have been run previously using different service accounts to those that were used to originally set the services up. It does need a cleanup.

I think I will need to create a variable for the Discover Transfer and Discover Group Synch service accounts in Centrastage to make sure the upgrade component specifies the right users when upgrading.

:/

Thank Post
    I have some dynamic groups set up with me as the supervisor, and have the message bit ticked. Each day on my homepage I (should) see a notification eg 'discover update - less than 80% attendance'. I can see immediately if our transfer has failed if there are no reports there for that day.

Our last transfer ran at 5am on 24th Feb. Sadly it's not been a priority for our busy technicians so since then Discover has been unusable. This is a frequent occurrence here. (This wasn't after an upgrade).
    Last edited by SouthCoastSaint; 1st May 2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: More info added

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread