+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, AM7 7.156 bugs? in Technical; Just wondering if anyone else can reproduce this error in SIMS 7.156. In Assessment Manager, if you are viewing a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts

AM7 7.156 bugs?

Just wondering if anyone else can reproduce this error in SIMS 7.156.

In Assessment Manager, if you are viewing a comment aspect with spelling mistakes, SIMS should underline those spelling mistakes. However, in the 7.156 update, you may see the underline for a split second but it then disappears. Pressing "Spell Check" still finds the error, but the underline does not show (at least not for long!)

Anyone else?

I'm on Windows 7 x64.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 29th April 2014 at 04:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Wow, couple more potential bugs...

For one subject, AM7 appears to be adding '---' in two separate places on every child's comment, but only on Individual Reports, it doesn't show in assessment manager. Retyping the comment fixes this, copy and pasting does not. This suggests to me the comment could have been copied and pasted from elsewhere (Word most likely) and that some formatting character is getting copied across causing the error, however there's no way I can confirm this as the error is not at all apparent until you print/preview the Individual Report.

When you edit a comment, the bottom of the dialog box shows an 'i' icon and says 'Error' (in true SIMS fashion, no more info is given and the comments appear to save correctly).

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

vikpaw (29th April 2014)

Thank Post
    What version of Office are you running?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    What version of Office are you running?

I've emailed the teacher whose reports are showing this problem to ask her about her workflow, I want to see if I can track down exactly what is causing the issue. I'll log a call once I figure out what's happening or reach a dead end, whichever comes first!

Thank Post
    *sigh* no reply. It's ok though, I have a mental list of staff who ignore me

I'm going to try a little experiment, try to cram in to a paragraph as many different formatting options as I can in Word and Excel, then copy/paste it in to SIMS and see if anything triggers the bug.

Will keep you posted.

Thank Post
    Well this just keeps getting stranger...

I've not found the source of the problem yet, but if I copy and paste the text in to Notepad, the dashes are there. Likewise, if I paste in to Word as "text only" then the dashes are shown.

A straight copy past to Word doesn't show the dashes, but there's also no apparent formatting, even in outline view.

I copied and pasted the space that gets replaced with dashes from Word in to Notepad expecting it to show dashes, but instead of dashes I get a series of 'not' signs ()... however if I copy/paste the same space from SIMS straight in to Notepad, the dashes are back...

There's clearly some kind of formatting character in there but it doesn't appear to do anything to give me a clue what the teacher was trying to do that caused this problem...

I'm stumped!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 2nd May 2014 at 11:04 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    For the teacher, can you check keyboard and language settings, or the language settings on the Word file, this, on a Mac version can be particularly hard to trace and the settings can be applied to the text, not the document so doubly difficult to find.

No issue on the spell check here though.

Left field thoughts : it's something to do with the iText Sharp PDF add-in that you see on the splash screen, it's linked to the default browser they have (really left field i know!) as Chrome has a weird way of handling pasting and they might have copied the original from the web...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread