+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Apps in Technical; SLG is nothing but a poorly coded pain in the arse and far as I am concerned, Capita products are ...
    Thank Post
    SLG is nothing but a poorly coded pain in the arse and far as I am concerned, Capita products are a stain on education.

Please go and 100% confirm you are not required to run SLG as part of your deal as they require a couple more servers and sharepoint licences.

2. Thanks to robjduk from:

BKGarry (28th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Decision was made behind closed doors, they also didn't take into account that SIMS is local on the network so it needed a new server, sql licence and cals etc...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have had a lot of discussions about the SIMS App (range - can I call it that yet @PhilNeal?) and the SLG tie in...

So, here is the deal. Yes - SLG is required, but it would be better to think of it as you have SLG, and are getting the Apps included FOC. They will, in time be one product bundle of Parental Engagement - as SIMS becomes more truely modular and role-based in future.

Yes, the product is not fully ready yet, and that has a lot to do with making sure it is right and has the functionality being asked for at user groups. You dont say whether SLG is being hosted by the school or by Capita - who can and do host. Many of the SLG implementations I see where there are complaints are surrounding the Sharepoint engine underneath rather than SLG itself. Now - dont get me wrong - there are actual parts of SLG which are just plain horrid - but it has improved significantly over recent releases; with much more customer (ie parent) focused UI elements rather than "boxy" tables. What you have to remember is that this product was about meeting a specific agenda - and many using it dont use it even for that now. I see many using it with staff on site as a "Sims-Lite".

I would strongly suggest getting in touch with the account managers and clarifying exactly what you have bought, and then we can have a proper discussion about it and ways forwards rather than product bash.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 1,192 Posts
    It's not about product bashing.
    It sounds like it was sold as a feature rather than a free perk of SLG. That's just plain wrong.

It is a great concept but designing it and bundling it around SLG was a poor decision in my opinion.

So as a product it just doesn't make sense. I'd sooner pay for Groupcall which is cheap enough for a site license and is readily available now.

Thank Post
    I've just been reading the Technical guide for onsite install and it's way way overkill just for a single app for iPads (even the online version) , SLG will probably not even get used either so would probably just be bought exclusively for the app which is just a waste.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It will be a feature of SLG once on full release; much like the Data Collection bit is a feature - and was developed after the original SLG scoping (and looks completely different). The homework tie-in (and future Assessment Manager/Curriculum Structure) parts are much the same too.

There is a technical tie in between the way in which SLG currently works, and the way the Apps will work - thats why you cant have one without the other. It needs the web services to communicate with. Im expecting, certainly from discussions Ive had, that there will eventually be a consolidated Web Service - which will take in the InTouch stuff (which still used the horrid VPN - that is going very soon).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Stuart, everything you say is very true and great, you know more than most I think, but I think the simple fact is the apps is tied to SLG so that capita can force the sale of SLG which is stupidly expensive and a ridiculous product given the usability against the time it has been on the market! There has been huge demand for the app, shortsighted wouldn't even begin to cover the decision to tie it in to SLG...
    Last edited by GREED; 25th April 2014 at 07:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Realistically without the actual licencing costs, how much hardware / cost am I looking at hosting in house ? From a quick look at the technical guide there's a few servers and sharepoint licencing involved as far as I can tell.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I think the simple fact is the apps is tied to SLG so that capita can force the sale of SLG which is stupidly expensive and a ridiculous product given the usability against the time it has been on the market!
    SLG is our way of giving Internet access to teachers, pupils & parents; the Teacher App does this too and for the ~2000 schools using SLG they won't have to pay any extra. BTW the Teacher App also utilises lots of the SLG routines.

@GREED I do wonder if you have seen SLG lately? It is very attractive & highly usable including flight paths, homework setting, data collection sheets etc. I do still come across schools that haven't set it up to take advantage of the screens that were introduced years ago.

After the Teacher App trial which is taking place shortly, it is possible that we will make some changes to ways that our products are sold.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @PhilNeal I wonder if you have seen the near consistent responses on here and elsewhere that tells the tale of an incredibly expensive product (please don't mention LA deals!) for what is now something quite antiquated, compared to other offerings. I saw SLG 6 months ago, again at BETT. Is that soon enough? It is welcome to see that there may be a different model of selling this in the future.

Perhaps I'm not best to argue this point, you are probably right, and you know me I'm happy to be proved wrong!!!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    @GREED I do wonder if you have seen SLG lately? It is very attractive & highly usable including flight paths, homework setting, data collection sheets etc. I do still come across schools that haven't set it up to take advantage of the screens that were introduced years ago.
    Has it finally moved away from Sharepoint then?

But seriously... I still don't understand why Capita can't write a simple iPad registration app and bundle it as an extra with Lesson Monitor. Groupcall have done it no problem at all, but its expensive for us, I'd rather have it bundled with Sims.
    Last edited by zag; 28th April 2014 at 08:57 AM.

13. Thanks to zag from:

GREED (28th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Has it finally moved away from Sharepoint then?
    Couldn't help but giggle!

Thank Post
    @zag - it's not just for registration; it will cover all aspects that a teacher requires on the move. Not in the first release but that's what's planned.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @zag - it's not just for registration; it will cover all aspects that a teacher requires on the move. Not in the first release but that's what's planned.
    That's brilliant @PhilNeal. Really looking forward to seeing it in action again. Amusing to see my polarisation between SLG and the SIMS App

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Excellent news, good to hear!

Registration will always be the Killer app, but other features will be welcome.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast