+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Reporting Teacher Accuracy in Grade Predictions in Technical; Good morning all! Our Vice Principal wants to track teacher accuracy in predicting grades by comparing the summer term predicted ...

Thank Post

Reporting Teacher Accuracy in Grade Predictions

Good morning all!
    Our Vice Principal wants to track teacher accuracy in predicting grades by comparing the summer term predicted grade with exam outcomes in the summer.

He wants it showing as +/- however many grades out they were or 0 for a correct prediction.

I have set up an aspect which I have populated with this information based on last years results for maths as a test but going forward he wants it for all subjects. I have no problem getting the information into a new aspect but he wants an average of these results for all individual classes and individual teachers in YR11.

Is there a simpler way to do this than collecting data manually via the summary section of every individual marksheet? (Plus that would only work by class and not by all classes a teacher has in that subject.)

I have been messing with reports for a couple of hours this morning and don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Many thanks in advance!!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Every grade has a value, if you set that value to the scale A*=8, A=7, B=6, etc then you can work out the difference between them by subtracting the target from the attainment (A Attainment minus A* Target would be 8-7 = -1 meaning one grade under). You can do this with a DIFFERENCE column. Once you have calculated the difference, click Summary and it will show the average points and grade for that column at the bottom of the marksheet. If you assign the marksheet to a whole Year Group you can then filter by class in the marksheet as well with the Group Filter button. This is performed by the end user (eg the head) and is easier then assigning the marksheet to every class and having to switch between them so make sure you tell them that!

The other alternative without resorting to (and paying for) third party tools is to export the grades to Excel and use VLOOKUP formulae to create a tally of the grades per subject which is then averaged with a formula. This would give an at a glance summary but the data on the sheet would need to be manually updated each time it changes effectively meaning the data is out of date as soon as it leaves the system.
    Last edited by CAM; 31st March 2014 at 11:28 AM.

3. Thanks to CAM from:

Xeba37 (1st April 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks.

Like I said the difference isn't the problem I have that in place already, it was just the final reporting and how to do it as quickly as possible.

The end user will want a list of teachers and their average variance and classes and their average variance but they won't want it from SIMS, they will want it there sitting pretty as a spreadsheet I have made ranking teachers and classes based on both factors.....the vice principal has no clue about SIMS beyond entering data in their own class marksheet.

Looks like I have some serious work to do :/

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    @Xeba37 - there are a couple of ways you can do this but none of them are going to allow you to summarise by teacher from within SIMS, unless you're willing to put together some user defined groups containing all classes of each teacher - I'd say that's going to be more work than it's worth!

On the SIMS side, a good way to display the residuals class by class would be to set up the aspects as you have done already then drop them in to an Analysis grid (depending on how you want the data displayed, there are various options there - take a look at the training manuals for each type of analysis grid and see which works best for your needs)

Personally, I do this all in Excel as I find it much less laborious. I create a template containing all of my prediction aspects then a marksheet for the whole year, then export that to Excel. I then drop columns in for each predictions equivalent exam result and do a vlookup to pull those in from the PI data (exported from Exams Module, 'full' detail, discounted excluded).

6. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Xeba37 (1st April 2014)

Thank Post
    As LosOjos suggests there are grids in SIMS that will do it per class or course - I would use a Chance Analysis for this. I also use aspects to collect the result for each subject as it is difficult to use the Examinations aspects because they have complicated names. Eg 'Ma GCSE result' instead of 'OCR J562 Result Grade F' etc. One other thing I do is use a grade difference aspect for each subject, eg Ma GD, that has grades defined as -6,-5,...0,..+4,+5,+6 with the same values that is recorded for every grade that is collected by result set(I use a result set named 'GCSE result). I would consider doing this for the result against the prediction and then working out a mean per class and also a grade distribution per class.
    Lot of work.....

8. Thanks to number34 from:

Xeba37 (1st April 2014)

Thank Post
    @Los Ojos, thanks, I will have a look today.

@Number 34, I have already created and populated new aspects and have a variance column with the -6,-5,...0,..+4,+5,+6 as you do and also one that says how many grades out (as in averages a -2 and a +2 will equal 0 and may give a distorted view of correct forecasts). So thankfully a lot of the work is already done, it is just getting the work out and into a 'class' and 'teacher' ranking for accuracy I have to do. Still some fiddling but at least the groundwork is sorted

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread