+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SOLUS 2 to be shut down 1st April 2015 in Technical; Sorry? You've lost me. The internet solely works on DNS, it doesn't use ARP\NetBIOS!! DNS is Step 2 in the ...

Thank Post
    Sorry? You've lost me. The internet solely works on DNS, it doesn't use ARP\NetBIOS!! DNS is Step 2 in the Book of Technician right after networking. Having DNS issues would cause you to have all sorts of problems. It's like saying blaming Capita for not supporting XP after it goes EOL. How dare you @PhilNeal! Not allowing me to run my unsecure operating system!

2. Thanks to matt40k from:

synaesthesia (28th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If any school has a problem with DNS they also have a problem with the staff looking after it! (No offence meant to anyone in such a position but I don't like beating around anyone's bush)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We moved to SOLUS3 when we moved to Windows 7 last summer. Other than a migration issue initially, we've had zero issues with it since.

The interface is clunky and weird, but it does work well.

Only thing that'd make it better is simple MSI deployment for SIMS.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Sorry? You've lost me. The internet solely works on DNS, it doesn't use ARP\NetBIOS!! DNS is Step 2 in the Book of Technician right after networking. Having DNS issues would cause you to have all sorts of problems. It's like saying blaming Capita for not supporting XP after it goes EOL. How dare you @PhilNeal! Not allowing me to run my unsecure operating system!
    By DNS problems I mean things like records not updating for a few days. Most schools will have this problem and it makes Solus 3 virtually useless if you rename computers regularly.

I'm just saying that I know of no other software that relies solely on DNS to resolve computers. Why cant they make the solus 3 agent respond to name changes for example?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    "most" schools? How often do you rename things? I think you GROSSLY exaggerate or misunderstand what happens in schools sometimes! My point before stands, if schools have DNS problems, they have IT staff problems.

Thank Post
    That's a bit blunt! Perhaps DNS scavenging would help @zag, to be honest if it's a real problem I'd just ask someone to pop over. It's worth getting set up right but you won't do it often enough to warrant really learning so it's worth outsourcing the task.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    "most" schools? How often do you rename things? I think you GROSSLY exaggerate or misunderstand what happens in schools sometimes! My point before stands, if schools have DNS problems, they have IT staff problems.
    I seem to remember a time, when your local support team would blame everything on DNS. It was their catchall for any problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That doesn't surprise me if you're referring to the provider everyone loves to hate Too often I had to question the slightly odd policies regarding DNS scavenging! They were very often well outside of a) common sense b) logic and c) best practice!

Thank Post
    We don't use either 2 or 3. I deploy/upgrade SIMS through startup scripts. Anyone else doing this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    We use images for the PCs initially because we have other things that need deploying too that don't have S2 or S3 either; then following an update to the server by ISO - the workstations just upgrade. Never had a major problem with it to be honest.

Thank Post
    We stick Application, Manual and AMPARK setups on a fileshare that can be accessed by computer accounts (startup scripts running as LocalSystem), with a script that checks the file version of the centrally stored Application Setup against SIMSLoad.ini (thanks to someone on here for that idea, did it differently before) and runs the setups if they don't match. Works like a charm.

Thank Post
    Even perfect dns and scavenging doesn't help with the biggest issue I see with Solus3, during agent deployment:

Laptop that uses Wireless and Wired (one or the other, sometimes both!). Both are helpfully still active registrations in dhcp and therefore dns. Solus *always* seems to get the wrong one and gets stuck installing.

Also, can anyone tell me how to push discover to a client that didn't install it? I can redeploy sims and fms but don't get this option for discover.

Thank Post
    You can use a similar method to the one above to detect whether it's installed and up-to-date. Startup scripts are wonderful things for that unless you need more granular control over what happens if the workstation falls out of the scope of management. Generally-speaking, though, you don't, as the software itself is useless without an active server instance to connect to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Even perfect dns and scavenging doesn't help with the biggest issue I see with Solus3, during agent deployment:

Laptop that uses Wireless and Wired (one or the other, sometimes both!). Both are helpfully still active registrations in dhcp and therefore dns. Solus *always* seems to get the wrong one and gets stuck installing.

Also, can anyone tell me how to push discover to a client that didn't install it? I can redeploy sims and fms but don't get this option for discover.
    There should be a drop down box in solus 3 top left corner change to sims discover and deploy that way

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Its not me who has the DNS problems, ours is fine thanks

But of the 4 smaller schools I have been into that use Solus 3, all had some DNS issue or the other. Solus 3 seems to have a real problem in design by only relying on DNS. I don't even think its agents announce both ways at all which is what just about every other distribution software on the planet does! This results in changing a computer name simply breaks that agent. Thats really bad design.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast