+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
MIS Systems Thread, MIS Due Diligence and Security in Technical; This is an interesting article which doesn't have great things to say about progresso: Are school MIS systems up to ...
  1. #1
    ConceroUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Question MIS Due Diligence and Security

    This is an interesting article which doesn't have great things to say about progresso:
    Are school MIS systems up to the job? | Adaptsoft Blog

  2. #2

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,938
    Thank Post
    361
    Thanked 354 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    172
    It is interesting... and was reading with great enthusiasm until the last sentence mentioning there is a gap for a feature rich inter connected... xyz... at low cost.

    Wow

    I'm afraid that to have a system so feature rich and keep up to date with the strains the dfe place on suppliers, and be this one stop shop for everything data and meet schools request requirements so it isn't bad mouthed of edugeek (tips hat at Capita)... and be scalable to handle 1000s of schools and in LA or Trust situations... All command a large support team which ultimately commands a decent cost.

    It all has to be paid for end of the day! Most of the time people forget the large support costs associated with something as important as an MIS in schools.

    So, yes everyone would like to get a lot for not a lot of costs... reality doesn't work like that.

    To borrow their analogy, it is like buying a car, for the rules to suddlenly say it must be able to turn left, but not right unless you have the handbrake on, the 3 months later you must also be able to flip the car on command, travel over water but no longer allow to you use a sat nav.

    Also, due to the huge costs involved in just getting something like this to market, means there has to be a decent ROI and so you do need to target a large audience. Saying you will build someone to meet niche schools, what 5, 10, isn't worth the investment. Then comes how do you convince a school to buy what is such an important system these days from a supplier that has one 2 schools on their books. Regardless of how good the software might look... believe me entering this market is a tall order!

    I don't disagree with some points put forward but this seems to come from the educational side and doesn't consider at all the business prospects at all!
    Last edited by GREED; 3rd February 2014 at 06:51 PM.

  3. #3

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,938
    Thank Post
    361
    Thanked 354 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    172
    Gotta say, I really do think this will be a turn around year for Progresso

  4. #4
    ConceroUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Question MIS Due Diligence and Security

    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Gotta say, I really do think this will be a turn around year for Progresso
    What makes you suggest that?

    We've been looking at a number of cloud based suppliers and wanted some assurance that as its a cloud based service with sensitive data it has been accredited in some way. The only one which I can find which fits that is Arbor as they are on the CloudStore. Arbor Education Adaptive Management Platform | CloudStore | Gov.UK

  5. #5
    ConceroUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    We've arranged a meeting with Bromcom however I've just looked at their website and it looks like something from the 80's. Does the product look modern?
    Bromcom Computers Plc - Software
    Last edited by vikpaw; 24th March 2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: removed quoted advertising

  6. #6

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,938
    Thank Post
    361
    Thanked 354 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    172
    Looks very much like a government framework that no one knew about. Which is nothing new. This really wouldn't make me blink one way or another to be honest.

    Why is a government accreditation important? I'm not being awkward but I know what hoops you had to go through for the IMLS framework... and if @PhilNeal is about he will testify this too, frameworks are tools to make procurement easier not necessarily to give the suppliers on it a positive rubber stamp for whatever the framework is about... In the real world everyone will take several sources of information particularly customer reviews.

    No disrespect to Arbor I know the guys there well and they do have a decent solution. But to suggest that RM, Bromcom, AL, Scholarpack... etc, are not appropriate to store sensitive information in the cloud is a big leap, just because they are not on this framework. And they all have web based solutions now...
    Last edited by GREED; 3rd February 2014 at 07:01 PM.

  7. #7


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,878
    Thank Post
    258
    Thanked 767 Times in 582 Posts
    Rep Power
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by ConceroUK View Post
    We've arranged a meeting with Bromcom however I've just looked at their website and it looks like something from the 80's. Does the product look modern?
    Looked OK to me but I'll be quite honest and say I wasn't that interested in exactly how modern it looked, more whether it would do what we need it to do in a way that is reasonably efficient.

  8. #8
    ConceroUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Looks very much like a government framework that no one knew about. Which is nothing new. This really wouldn't make me blink one way or another to be honest.

    Why is a government accreditation important? I'm not being awkward but I know what hoops you had to go through for the IMLS framework... and if @PhilNeal is about he will testify this too, frameworks are tools to make procurement easier not necessarily to give the suppliers on it a positive rubber stamp for whatever the framework is about... In the real world everyone will take several sources of information particularly customer reviews.

    No disrespect to Arbor I know the guys there well and they do have a decent solution. But to suggest that RM, Bromcom, AL, Scholarpack... etc, are not appropriate to store sensitive information in the cloud is a big leap, just because they are not on this framework. And they all have web based solutions now...
    I was surprised not to find the big players on there however I suppose they probably feel there's no need as they're already on the IMLS: Supplier listing - Schools

    I think it can give schools confidence to change to a cloud based MIS product if it has been accredited in some way. Just because they're a well known company shouldn't mean that schools should automatically assume that the product they are buying into is adequate especially being cloud based and holding very sensitive data.

    Do the schools that you support use a cloud based MIS product? We are keen to know about Bromcom, Arbor & Progresso.

  9. #9

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,938
    Thank Post
    361
    Thanked 354 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by ConceroUK View Post
    I was surprised not to find the big players on there however I suppose they probably feel there's no need as they're already on the IMLS: Supplier listing - Schools
    This proves my point that 2 suppliers on this list no longer have a product to sell, and one has changed hands (and so no longer should be on the list according to my recent chat with their BDM!)

    I think it can give schools confidence to change to a cloud based MIS product if it has been accredited in some way. Just because they're a well known company shouldn't mean that schools should automatically assume that the product they are buying into is adequate especially being cloud based and holding very sensitive data.
    Hummm, I do see your point but if you are a softwarehouse and you are going to invest in a big way, to not be compliant and so very quickly fall down either through law or through your customer base throwing the book at you, would be the most monumental school-boy error. But in fact I return to a quote from Mr Neal, which is truth, that you could get on the IMLS framework without actually having a product (and so having your product tested), which does make a mockery of the whole thing, and I suspect you could get away with just as much on most frameworks.[/QUOTE]

    Do the schools that you support use a cloud based MIS product? We are keen to know about Bromcom, Arbor & Progresso.
    I work for an integration specialist company, I don't support schools as such but work with most of the major MIS suppliers and supporting system suppliers. I gather from reading your website you are scoping to see who is worth your investment to support and offer services to customers?

    FYI I know of 16 suppliers/systems that operate in the UK (or will be in the next 6-12 months).
    Last edited by GREED; 3rd February 2014 at 07:41 PM.

  10. #10
    ConceroUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, we're looking on behalf of the schools we support. Both primary and secondary are interested in a cloud based solution and I'm just trying to get a handle on the market.

    Of the 16 suppliers, how many are cloud based and would you recommend any from your own opinion?

  11. #11

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,938
    Thank Post
    361
    Thanked 354 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by ConceroUK View Post
    Yes, we're looking on behalf of the schools we support. Both primary and secondary are interested in a cloud based solution and I'm just trying to get a handle on the market.

    Of the 16 suppliers, how many are cloud based and would you recommend any from your own opinion?
    I'd suggest having a look at this first:

    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mis-sy...ml#post1122047

    Most on that list are web based solutions (cloud is a misappropriated term from most suppliers!). I think the survey will answer that too.

    I'd happily respond privately about my experiences with systems, you have a good list so far of who to talk to. The survey too will be an interesting indicator, particularly who sees it as worthy to respond to (given how popular and public the results will become it is in their interest to respond). I personally have to be a little careful as I do work with most suppliers too, hence the objective nature of the survey. It is hard too because I am a big believer in there is a right MIS for the right school, no one MIS suits all schools, not by a long way, and that is not just between phases. You'll be sensible to have an array of the larger suppliers in your portfolio, like those you have mentioned currently, and keep tabs on the market to see who is emerging and who is falling away.
    Last edited by GREED; 3rd February 2014 at 08:53 PM.

  12. Thanks to GREED from:

    ConceroUK (3rd February 2014)

  13. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Capita
    Posts
    15
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    ... and if @PhilNeal is about he will testify this too, frameworks are tools to make procurement easier not necessarily to give the suppliers on it a positive rubber stamp for whatever the framework is about......
    Greed - Phil is having a well earned holiday so there may be a slight delay in him responding.

  14. #13

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,938
    Thank Post
    361
    Thanked 354 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Grashoff View Post
    Greed - Phil is having a well earned holiday so there may be a slight delay in him responding.
    I know, thanks @David_Grashoff he decided to tell me Friday night, so decided to give him a break too from my usual light hearted bashing (and ironically be supportive of Capita for a bit!). Indeed, these messages were intended for his return!

  15. #14
    TheScarfedOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    1,128
    Thank Post
    543
    Thanked 152 Times in 138 Posts
    Blog Entries
    78
    Rep Power
    79
    Did Bett break @PhilNeal @David_Grashoff?! Sorry we never got chance to catch up this year. @GREED...interesting article and thread

  16. #15
    APC
    APC is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    38
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Gotta say, I really do think this will be a turn around year for Progresso
    I totally agree - things are really looking good now - great demo at Bett this year

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Moodle and Secure LDAP?
    By gshaw in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12th June 2009, 11:11 PM
  2. VMWare fusion and security concerns..
    By baxter in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28th January 2008, 10:57 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •