+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, FMS -> Runtime Error 217 (No Default Printer Selected) -> Solution & Question in Technical; Hi All, I have read previous threads about issues with FMS and the runtime error 217 which is related to ...

Thank Post

FMS -> Runtime Error 217 (No Default Printer Selected) -> Solution & Question

Hi All,

I have read previous threads about issues with FMS and the runtime error 217 which is related to no default printer being selected.
    I've been tackling it for a week or so now and I seem to of found a solution however not my most favorite, I was wondering if anyone else has a better solution to the problem.

When looking into what was happening with the FMS it only seemed to agree with manual assignment of the printer, this straight away becomes a problem in a domain environment with network printers.
    I attempted to use a command line to swap the printer to another and back again, this however still resulted in the runtime error.

So Instead I played about with our Group Policy, I moved the printer from a computer policy to a user policy and assigned it to the people who use FMS with that printer.
    The issue is resolved from doing this however, this seems a little bit of a mess to me the less GPO's the better in my opinion.

Is there any other way of solving this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    @Garry1103
    I thought it was okay with domain printers, but do remember it being happier with a local one, or at least having it set locally.
    How many users do you have? Setting them up manually, or one extra policy isn't too bad an overhead in my view.

Thank Post
    Hi @vikpaw

Seems to have an issue with networked printers, we're using the PCounter system provided by Konica, for some reason FMS refuses to work with printers assigned to the computer.

There are only 3 users who use FMS, total of 104 Staff though. Each computer is referenced by an OU of department for policy assignments as we have over 800 Desktops/Laptops/Tablets it's a pain to assign things to the local computer as if we ever replace it we'll of forgotten what we did to it.

I don't object to having the extra 1 policy but I would prefer not to assign them to the users directly as they'll be able to print from one end of the building to the other, meaning some confidential information may end up where it isn't meant to be.

EDIT:

Forgot to say, Thank you for the welcome!
    Last edited by Garry1103; 13th March 2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Saying thank you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Fix the 3 users locally, it's not that big an ask, there are probably more things you have to do to their machines, such as install FMS in the first place that is already documented. Even if it's an image you push out. That will at least control the printing everywhere issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread