+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Quick question: Where would you advertise to find a DM? in Technical; Hello experts, What would you say is the best place to post a vacancy similar to "Data Manager"? Does anyone ...

Thank Post

Quick question: Where would you advertise to find a DM?

Hello experts,

What would you say is the best place to post a vacancy similar to "Data Manager"?

Does anyone have a story about how they found an outstanding DM (or they where found)?

Thanks,

J

PS: I have already posted it here on Edugeek

Thank Post
    Poached one from another local school...

Thank Post
    You'd have to be quite lucky to find an experienced data manager given there aren't that many of them around (relatively speaking) and the chances of one of them currently looking for a new job, in your area, would be pretty slim.

Saying that, the cynical method would be to try and poach from another school in your area!

A lot of adverts for this kind of role I have seen often ask for a very specific level of knowledge relating to the data manager role and I think this is the wrong way to go about it as it can turn away perfrectly good candidates. Given what I've said above I think the better thing to do is try to find someone without the specific knowledge or experience, but who is a fast learner and already has some general transferable technical skills. How to advertise and interview for THAT is another question entirely!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Resisting bad D&D reference..... Failed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Resisting bad D&D reference..... Failed.
    Roll for 'using your own initiative'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Roll for 'using your own initiative'
    *Critical Failure* *proceeds to fall over and look stupid*

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Speaking as a Data Manager:

as @Ecclesbury said, experienced school DMs are rare. Not every school has one, the vast majority that do only have one, and they're all usually quite new roles or roles that have evolved from others. Additionally, I have spoken to DMs from schools all over the country and one thing that is very clear is that no two have the same JD. Looking for experience shouldn't be your main goal here.

You want someone who has outstanding Excel skills, is proficient in IT in general, preferably with knowledge of DPA. MIS systems, by design, are easy to learn; anyone with decent IT skills will pick that up in no time. A short test on interview is going to be your best bet for finding "the one" - give them a sheet full of raw data (names, ethnicities, gender, exam results - all fictional of course!) and ask them to produce your usual set of analysis, 5 A*-C inc English and Maths, 5 A*-G etc. and throw in a couple of vulnerable groups too, such as White British Boys.

If they can do all that accurately, quickly and presented in a logical way, they're a strong contender for the post IMO.

8. Thanks to LosOjos from:

JDiaz (6th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecclesbury View Post

Saying that, the cynical method would be to try and poach from another school in your area!
    Yeah, there's our recruitment policy in a nutshell... It's how I got here, how our Data Manager got here, and our exams officer. We put an ad on the website, but usually they have someone in mind by the time they advertise.

If you are serious about it then it's worth an ad in TES.

Thank Post
    it's funny, when I applied for the job I currently have, they titled the position "Data Manager", but I don't think they really knew what they were looking for - it took them over 4 months to find someone - and I only applied because I wasn't sure what the job was going to be either.

Hell, I wasn't even supposed to interview, the agency that the school placed the ad through called me up because the guy they were going to have interview canceled the night before.

My former Line Manager left last easter to be a deputy head at another school, and has only just found himself a data manager, after trying to poach me for the last 6 months or so (I'd have happily gone, but the pay was the same as I make now, but the commute would be an hour each way instead of the 3 mins each way I have now).

I'd suggest you put it down as an entry level database admin like position, and see what that brings in for interviews.

11. Thanks to tombry from:

JDiaz (6th March 2014)

Thank Post
    The other answer to this question is to offer £40,000 a year.

13. Thanks to Ecclesbury from:

mark80 (13th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Very helpful and interesting answers. Thank you all. I wonder if we approached it the right way when we wrote the JD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclesbury View Post
    The other answer to this question is to offer £40,000 a year.
    Not that far off !! It's odd because we got more interest at £30k than at £35k

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDiaz View Post
    Very helpful and interesting answers. Thank you all. I wonder if we approached it the right way when we wrote the JD.
    If I lived near enough to London for the commute, I'd have applied!

EDIT: this bit is a problem:

Qualifications
     Qualified to A-Level standard or equivalent
     A degree from a technical background is preferable
     Appropriate and relevant professional qualification
     Right to work in the UK.
    Experience
     Experience working with SIMS.net.
     QL Server 2005 / 2008 / 2012 experience
     The role of data in an education context
     Some experience in CMIS Facility
     Experience in a client facing role.
    You're asking for a very high level of education there IMO - why A level and not GCSE? With a technical degree, I wouldn't be looking for a DM job (I'm working on that!). Relevant professional qualification - the only one I'm aware of is SSAT and there aren't a hell of a lot of people who have finished that yet.

SQL knowledge - well most SIMS users aren't allowed to touch the SQL backend for a start! Experience with SIMS.net and CMIS? Not many people can say they have that.

You need to loosen your requirements, I can only imagine a school data consultant having that repertoire and they'll be earning a damn site more money than your average DM.

Just my opinion!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 4th March 2014 at 03:48 PM.

16. Thanks to LosOjos from:

JDiaz (6th March 2014)

Thank Post
    I always find it is useful to know where the job is located; London is a big place!

Thank Post
    Blimey! I notice that you're in London so that will presumably bump thing up a bit, but I am starting to notice that along with the JDs varying wildly from DM to DM, the level of pay is also pretty erratic!

To put things in perspective when I first started this job (advertised as 'Data Manager') I was in the £15k-£18k a year bracket! That was 5 a half years ago.

Very interesting about the level of pay turning people away! There must be a science to setting the right pay level.

Thank Post
    I think you are right, LosOjos, but in my opinion person specifications are like a wish list. You write in there what your ideal candidate would have and then you see how close the people who apply are. I have never hired someone that was a perfect match and I think is more about assessing how close they are and their potential to get there.

The reason why we have some of those things in there -like the SQL- is because we do have other internally developed systems that we will be asking this person to support, but I totally get your point and I think the next JD I write will be very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb1780 View Post
    I always find it is useful to know where the job is located; London is a big place!
    Central London: Holborn

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast