+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Malicious removal of data in Technical; Can't comment but it won't be this year!...

Thank Post
    Can't comment but it won't be this year!

Thank Post
    Thanks Phil.

I actually think it's really important to be able to know who updated a record and when. Probably more important than several changes you plan to implement this year (in my humble opinion).

We've requested audit info from LEA on several changes over the last year and they've never been able to provide anything. If a member of staff has for example accidentally overwritten some important pupil information - we need to know who that member of staff is so that we can address that training issue and make sure it doesn't happen again. Currently this is not possible as without clear evidence from the SIMS DB - we can't do anything. (witch hunt aside)

If there was a data protection or legal situation, we've got no ammo from the SIMS DB on who did what. Whoever did that - is free to carry on with impunity. That's a dangerous situation!

Cheers
    Last edited by AButters; 5th March 2014 at 09:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    We do track changes to attendance data which is statutory and assessments. Tracking behaviour is not a statutory requirement and deletions are not tracked; auditing is a matter of balance and at the time we implemented behaviour, did not consider tracking to be a high priority.

Several schools have reported suspicions that data has been tampered with. We will consider introducing auditing in the future.
    But, this has been an issue for ages. It shouldn't need suspicions of data tampering to fix something that when presented to a typical cross section of users, they would all agree it's useful to have tighter controls on.

SIMS Behaviour Management Somewhat Flaky
    and the next post too.

I think Detentions has a Delete (Own) permission now - not sure when that got added, it would be great to have the same for behaviour, and if possible an Edit (Own) for both.
    It's not specifically auditing that is required, just some extra logic for whether or not a user can edit data. The procedures are in place to check for global edit / delete rights, they just need extending to be specific to a particular user. If the record has an owner / creator field, then it should be possible without needing to change the structure.

Edit: I know this doesn't necessarily tell you who edited / deleted the data, but that would be the next step to add, if possible. I can see how that would possibly need extra columns in tables. In the first instance though and i think for many users being able to restrict the ability to mess with the data would be all that is required.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 6th March 2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarify point

Thank Post
    I think Capita needs to make it a priority to add such feature into SIMS. All MIS systems should have an audit trail.

I also had instances where things have gone missing and I have nothing to find out why it went missing.

Thank Post
    I have raised this with capita for the last 8 years every year we ask can we have a proper audit trail whrer things are written into the db under the users name and not "sims user" so we can find out if errors are user error or code error and every year we get no response . I think it will not happen as it would require capita to do a full ground up rebuild of all the sims code

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by woodham View Post
    ..,capita to do a full ground up rebuild of all the sims code
    Well that is happening but for a different purpose altogether

Thank Post
    just seen that thread so maybe just maybe well get a proper audit trail .... heres hoping

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by woodham View Post
    just seen that thread so maybe just maybe well get a proper audit trail .... heres hoping
    It would be rather disingenuous if they omitted it from a fresh build, so i'd keep them hopes high

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12