+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Rolling out a new MIS in Technical; Hi all, Over the next few months we'll be rolling out a new MIS to the classroom teachers. They've never ...

Thank Post

Rolling out a new MIS

Hi all,

Over the next few months we'll be rolling out a new MIS to the classroom teachers. They've never had access before, so effectively we have to treat them as MIS virgins. My question is this.
    In which order should we be asking them to begin using the classroom based features. My idea is below

Attendance (Both tutorials lessons and boarding house)
    Behaviour, rewards and sanctions
    Markbooks (A record of assessments made during the half term)
    Grading Periods (A single grade for the entire half term)
    Academic Reporting (Written reports to parents including the grading period data)

Does this sound about right? Any alternatives views?

Thanks in advance.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd say start with attendance as they will use that daily. Assessment training should be scheduled for before your next round of results are collected though I assume you will run the old system parallel to the new one just in-case?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sensible list. Try and have your admins on board as early as possible so your data is useful and supported. Get some good processes in place early on too.

Your list mirrors how rollouts were pushed when I worked at an MIS supplier

4. Thanks to GREED from:

jallsop (25th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I'd say start with attendance as they will use that daily. Assessment training should be scheduled for before your next round of results are collected though I assume you will run the old system parallel to the new one just in-case?
    The old system is not really a unified whole. Academic data is collected in the same place as reports are written, but there is currently no attendance or behaviour data kept. Its an in house developed 'system' with the developer no longer supporting anything except faults for the next 18 months, then nothing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Get some good processes in place early on too.
    Yeah. I'm trying to write policy and procedure for those now, but its proving quite difficult to cover all the bases and make sure it will get the data as water tight as possible.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jallsop View Post
    Yeah. I'm trying to write policy and procedure for those now, but its proving quite difficult to cover all the bases and make sure it will get the data as water tight as possible.
    Piece of advice: don't stress too much about the detail. Lay out policy for data entry and use and talk with the people who will be entering it and get them on board. A lot of things will fall naturally. Ignore the things that are obvious for the moment and concentrate on the data areas that are likely to cause confusion.

8. Thanks to GREED from:

jallsop (25th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,200 Posts
    It's a really good list, but it really only covers what you as a school might want.
    EDIT: It's the right order to do things, and should work well.

Make sure, to get buy-in from staff, and see what they want out of the system. One of the biggest tolls on a data manager will be pulling useful information out of the data keyed in.

So once the data is in there, ensure you know some good short hand ways to re-represent that data or analyse it. So once they've done a week of attendance, show them the report they can pull off to see % for their form class, count lates etc. This will make them want to use it more.

it's highly likely this is very easy in the MIS and possibly even automatic in a homepage, but is something to consider. Ditto behaviour, markbooks etc. The key middle managers that need to act on that information will want to see that data in a useful form.

As well as that, for end users, it's really good to provide training on some basic data output that is useful to them, e.g. class lists, photo sheets, parental contact details (although using it live is better), medical info, export of lists to excel, even birthday lists. Again, this might be straight forward and easy in the system, but should form a part of the initial or on-going training.

If you don't get manuals supplied, then try to create your own, or even training videos using something like screen capture, video recorder, Captivate or the last one we used was the free Wink.

I found training in a large group, and even smallish (8-10) groups in a computer room was fraught with difficulty - teachers are by far the worst students! We found giving them a workbook to go through after a very short demo, means you have time to help the slower 'students' or less IT literate, whilst the high flyers can race ahead. Catch these high flyers and use them to deliver training in their departments / act as 'champions'.

If you can get hold of a test system, or allow some advanced users on early, then that is also really good, so they can beta test things for you, as there will always be little glitches that you can't test or account for. You'll probably find, they are used to doing something daily that you never even knew or thought about.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 26th February 2014 at 06:36 AM.

10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

jallsop (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I
    I found training in a large group, and even smallish (8-10) groups in a computer room was fraught with difficulty - teachers are by far the worst students! We found giving them a workbook to go through after a very short demo, means you have time to help the slower 'students' or less IT literate, whilst the high flyers can race ahead. Catch these high flyers and use them to deliver training in their departments / act as 'champions'.
    Massive thanks for your help here. and especially for this, as this is how I've been asked to arrange training. I did think it would be challenging to do it this way, but apparently we can't have any more than a handful of staff together at the same time. I have a further complication. We don't have IT suites, as we're a you must BYOD for the students so staff just use the computers in the classrooms on the IWBs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Don't they have laptops or tablets they could use? I guess it's better if the MIS is web based .

Small groups are best so you can guide then through it. Ideally a computer room where you can run drop in sessions is also useful.

Make a tick sheet to go with a workbook and have them sign and return it. Management should support this. It would say some thing like " I confirm I have followed the guide and can take a register, lookup a phone number, record a positive behaviour etc."

It works better if they are already used to doing such tasks so they are just learning the new system's method.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread