+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Sims 8 new version? in Technical; Good use of the quotations.. Cloud? So do you think that will change when cloudy Sims comes along?...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good use of the quotations.. Cloud?

So do you think that will change when cloudy Sims comes along?
    Last edited by GREED; 12th February 2014 at 08:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Literally!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Literally!
    You see I don't even have to try anymore!

Thank Post
    Well technically you can call your server farm a private cloud, I used the quoted to make a point that is not strictly a public cloud, to use it from home you need to use Juniper VPN (supplied by the LEA with the broadband contract), so not strictly a full cloud service but is.

Did i make sense there?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You did I was being flippant! Apologies.

It is the term cloud that is so interchangeable these days when people really mean 'I can access it through a browser and it is on a server that isn't in my building'. And I'm not suggesting you are at all. It is a long standing bugbear of mine, especially when a product being in the cloud is compared to Amazon servers or the best one was 'in the same way Google is in the cloud'... right so you have circulated clustered replicated servers in disparate locations around the country/world...

Awaits abuse...

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Just to be crystal clear - we will not be releasing the NI product in the rest of the UK for quite some time.
    Maybe instead of SIMS.net...it is SIMS.ie?

SIMS.ie
    .ie
    IE

Browser-based?

Thank Post
    pete,

As you can understand, I can't comment or disclose a great deal of technical information about our future product ranges, not least of which because technology is a very moveable feast, but our initial version approaching initial release in Northern Ireland do include Silverlight components but by the time it is on general release it will include no plugins or proprietary client technology and will work on an HTML compliant browser.

I have a question for the community - what percentage of your schools use or are planning to use Office 365 or Google Apps (with associated Drive and SkyDrive document storage) for their main line-of-business office automation ? As technical people, what is your feeling for the level of adoption these platforms will eventually reach within schools, and are these mainly driven by license cost, operating simplicity, total-cost-of-ownership, or reach across devices ?

8. 4 Thanks to PhillipHamlyn:

CAM (12th February 2014), pete (12th February 2014), vikpaw (12th February 2014), zag (6th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    We don't use O365 widely due to technical issues / connectivity issues, but i can see it growing massively.
    Google apps are also really big internationally so that too is going to keep growing.

It's new stuff now, but it will become the norm in a very little time.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It would be great if any new web based version of Sims was:

Browser Independent
    Work on Tablets just as well as desktops
    Simpler to use (We don't need every feature from Sims desktop transferred)
    Technology Interdependent (no silverlight, flash ect)
    Fast to use
    Cloud based centrally on fast servers (SLG was over complicated because they allowed a local install)
    Reports work without the need for Microsoft office

11. Thanks to zag from:

jinnantonnixx (12th February 2014)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use Office 365 and I imagine every other school in the country Office 365 or Googles version in the next few years.
    Last edited by zag; 12th February 2014 at 11:00 AM.

Thank Post
    zag,

Thanks for those suggestions. It is our intention to make it fully HTML compliant but we need to bear in mind that the user interface that works well on a desktop or laptop does not always translate well onto a finger-driven device. We've seen how Microsoft tried to force desktop users to use an interface designed for touch users in their Metro application design, so we are cognisant of the different needs of different sets of users, using different devices. Technically any HTML based client will work on a tablet, phone, and big screen mouse driven desktop; but they might be very different experiences to make best use of those devices; however I was personally stunned (in a positive way) to see customers using SIMS.net on Terminal Services on an iPad recently, so our basic thrust is to make sure primarily that it does work, and tailor the UX as needed for those devices.

14. 2 Thanks to PhillipHamlyn:

Marshall_IT (7th March 2014), zag (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    vikpaw,

I'm interested in what connectivity issues you experience with O365 - would they be the same for any "cloud" based system ?

Thank Post
    we use 365 for email, but all staff have office 2010 (soon 2013 I suspect) on their computers.

personally I'd love to move to GAPPS, but I don't think our head of I.T. would be down for that, especially as some of us use Excel at a decently high level.

but I'd love to move to chromebooks and gapps for our students/staff.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipHamlyn View Post
    zag,

Thanks for those suggestions. It is our intention to make it fully HTML compliant but we need to bear in mind that the user interface that works well on a desktop or laptop does not always translate well onto a finger-driven device. We've seen how Microsoft tried to force desktop users to use an interface designed for touch users in their Metro application design, so we are cognisant of the different needs of different sets of users, using different devices. Technically any HTML based client will work on a tablet, phone, and big screen mouse driven desktop; but they might be very different experiences to make best use of those devices; however I was personally stunned (in a positive way) to see customers using SIMS.net on Terminal Services on an iPad recently, so our basic thrust is to make sure primarily that it does work, and tailor the UX as needed for those devices.
    Yep exactly, a lot of things that are web based need to be simplified a lot but this isn't a problem for most of us.

We have exactly that usage case of our teacher ipad users using remote desktop to use Sims, I try to get them to use groupcall Emerge but it doesn't do the reports side of things yet.

Really looking forward to what you have planned in the coming years, Sims is well due an "online" refresh

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipHamlyn View Post
    pete,

As you can understand, I can't comment or disclose a great deal of technical information about our future product ranges, not least of which because technology is a very moveable feast, but our initial version approaching initial release in Northern Ireland do include Silverlight components but by the time it is on general release it will include no plugins or proprietary client technology and will work on an HTML compliant browser.

I have a question for the community - what percentage of your schools use or are planning to use Office 365 or Google Apps (with associated Drive and SkyDrive document storage) for their main line-of-business office automation ? As technical people, what is your feeling for the level of adoption these platforms will eventually reach within schools, and are these mainly driven by license cost, operating simplicity, total-cost-of-ownership, or reach across devices ?
    I can't see Office being removed from schools whilst SIMS requires it. Having Google Docs or SkyDrive would be great, but SIMS would refuse to work without Office as it needs VBA to operate. Before a new SIMS could adopt the Google Apps / SkyDrive platform it would need to sever the reliance on one vendor and move to a more open document format. This in turn could pave the way for cross-platform support and bring us closer to having a choice in what platform we use in schools.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast