+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Solus 3 migration in Technical; Hello all, I am aiming to migrate my SIMS to a new server soon but wonder if anyone has a ...

Thank Post

Solus 3 migration

Hello all,
    I am aiming to migrate my SIMS to a new server soon but wonder if anyone has a document on SOLUS 3 migration? Is it a case of pointing Solus 3 clients to the new database location and then installing a fresh solus on the new server and finally migrating the solus database across? I see lots of instruction on SIMS SQL migration but am struggling to find solus migration info.

Thanks all

Thank Post
    There is no instructions as far as I could find.
    I had to write my own.

The migration on the same server has been looked at in another thread.

When you detach the SOLUS3 database, you can move it across to the new server.

If the server your moving the SOLUS3 database to has a different name, your going to need to remove all the SOLUS3 agents from the workstations and from the UI first before you de-attach the S3 database.
    Also before you attach the old SOLUS3 database from the old server, you need to reinstall SOLUS3 again and then deattach the newly installed SOLUS3 database.
    You can then migrate the targets.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank Post
    ..... I have to reinstall all the clients again..... I honestly thought it was a fairly easy process and there was a way to tell the existing clients to point to the new Solus point....

Can anyone tell me why the hell we all stick with Capita. Is there such a school out there who has a teacher, headmaster, IT department or parent who are pleased 100% with how SIMS works? Has anyone honestly ever said, wow this latest update has helped my job? I know keeping all this data organised is no easy task but there has to be a better way than paying these people to bugger up EVERY release?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    ..... I have to reinstall all the clients again..... I honestly thought it was a fairly easy process and there was a way to tell the existing clients to point to the new Solus point....

Can anyone tell me why the hell we all stick with Capita. Is there such a school out there who has a teacher, headmaster, IT department or parent who are pleased 100% with how SIMS works? Has anyone honestly ever said, wow this latest update has helped my job? I know keeping all this data organised is no easy task but there has to be a better way than paying these people to bugger up EVERY release?
    Sims is actually a really nice product for the end user, its just all the product design choices such as Solus 3 that make us Network Managers cry

Thank Post
    yes rant over and feel relaxed now.....

On the original subject, is there a reason so migrate my solus 3 database over? Would it just be easier to start from scratch if I have to reinstall all the clients anyway or am I missing something crazy?

Ta all

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    yes rant over and feel relaxed now.....

On the original subject, is there a reason so migrate my solus 3 database over? Would it just be easier to start from scratch if I have to reinstall all the clients anyway or am I missing something crazy?

Ta all
    I was under the impression, and will find out next week when I go ahead and do it I guess, that when you migrate the Solus 3 database across and update the connection string on the server the clients should automatically redirect to the new server.

The bit I haven't worked out yet is how Solus3 detects that the GUI and deployment service have moved so that might be an interesting one come the next Solus release

Thank Post
    that is what I hope happens as although not the end of the world, reinstalling every client would be irritating as there are bound to be the normal DNS issues where it claims it cant see the machine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread