+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Individual Reports - Tables Within Tables in Technical; Hi All, I'm trying to make some modifications to a template we use for student reports, however it simply doesn't ...

Thank Post

Individual Reports - Tables Within Tables

Hi All,

I'm trying to make some modifications to a template we use for student reports, however it simply doesn't want to play ball at all.

The way it is currently set up is that there is a 1 column table with multiple rows with report information within each cell like this:

Art
    Baseline: - Prediction: - Effort:
    Attendance:

Teacher Comment:
    Biology
    Baseline: - Prediction: - Effort:
    Attendance:

Teacher Comment:

However, we need to put the 'Baseline', 'Prediction' and 'Effort' sections into a table so it actually looks presentable, hence the requirement of a table within a table. The only problem with this is that because there is a table within a table the system refuses to 'Remove Report Sections that contain no Results'. So the areas of the report that have no data (the student doesn't study the subject) are still present after the report is generated, but the sections contain no data - just a blank table within a table.

What we're looking for/hoping for is something like this:

Art
    Baseline: Prediction: Effort:
    Attendance:

Teacher Comment:
    Biology
    Attendance:

Teacher Comment:

Does anyone know if this is at all possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Each report section should be it's own table with only a line break between each closing/opening tag. If you get an error saying you can't put a report section tag inside a table, put the tag one line below, then delete the empty line. from your example, it would look like this (without the blank line separating the tables from the tags, can't remove it on here!):

<<ReportSection>>
    Art
    Attendance:
    Teacher Comment:
    <</Report Section>><<Report Section>>
    Biology
    Attendance:
    Teacher Comment:
    <</Report Section>>

Then when the report is generated, because the tags are removed the tables should get merged in to one with the empty subjects removed
    Last edited by LosOjos; 7th February 2014 at 12:25 PM.

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Spizzy01 (7th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Ah right... Thanks for that, I'll give it a shot.

Is the <<ReportSection>> tag a hidden tag or something? It's not a selectable field from what's available in the list SIMS.Net provides, so I'm a little curious to know how you came to know about it? Is it in some form of documentation somewhere?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spizzy01 View Post
    Ah right... Thanks for that, I'll give it a shot.

Is the <<ReportSection>> tag a hidden tag or something? It's not a selectable field from what's available in the list SIMS.Net provides, so I'm a little curious to know how you came to know about it? Is it in some form of documentation somewhere?
    No it's a standard tag, it's how you tell SIMS exactly what a section is so that it can remove an empty one. I did make a typo though, there should be a space between the two words i.e. "Report Section" (invalid XML, tut tut)

It's on the ribbon in newer versions of Office, can't remember where it is on older versions now though...

repsec.jpg

6. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Spizzy01 (7th February 2014)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right Click -> Report Section -> Open/Close for non-ribbon Office.

Also make sure the sections don't overlap. So Open-Close-Open-Close not Open-Open-Close-Close

8. 2 Thanks to CAM:

LosOjos (7th February 2014), Spizzy01 (7th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    No it's a standard tag, it's how you tell SIMS exactly what a section is so that it can remove an empty one. I did make a typo though, there should be a space between the two words i.e. "Report Section" (invalid XML, tut tut)

It's on the ribbon in newer versions of Office, can't remember where it is on older versions now though...

repsec.jpg
    That moment when you could swear you had checked every possible tag available, but then get shown that you haven't - Gotta love those moments...

We have Office 2010, and I feel ashamed that I have never noticed this 'Report Section' option before and missed something so simple... That being said, it looks like this should work, so thanks for all your help guys!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    I inherited some tables within tables, but don't mess with them cos they work.
    You should be able to get what you want with extra columns in your design, and merging those that only need one, we do that as we have a page per subject, which does have report sections around it, and then within the page the table has multiple rows and columns.

I've never relied on tables auto-merging - that's scary! Word is bad enough with tables as it is.

I have this one type of report, where the table disappears off the bottom of the page, and if i want to edit it, i have to change to A3 paper size so i can see all the tags. Then put it back again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I've never relied on tables auto-merging - that's scary! Word is bad enough with tables as it is.
    If you remove all line/paragraph breaks between tables in Word, it will automatically merge the tables. It can be quite irritating but can also come in handy some times - like SIMS, it's a case of recognizing when it's a help or a hindrance!

Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I have this one type of report, where the table disappears off the bottom of the page, and if i want to edit it, i have to change to A3 paper size so i can see all the tags. Then put it back again.
    Sounds to me like the table has been set not to break pages ("Table Properties > Allow Table to Break Pages")

Thank Post
    True, but it ain't broke, so i'm not going any where near it unless i really have to.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've had stranger: One template prints off fine for the first 100 students and the rest of them it chops the top line off from a table (annoying as I was using it as a separator for headings and the text below). Bizarre Individual Reports moment...

Thank Post
    Is it always the same? Maybe some students have some random data coming in causing the issue. Hidden or broken tags could do that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread