+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Schoolcomms future development in Technical; Thanks for the feedback, what schools tell us they want is a big driver for our development plans. We don't ...
    Thank Post
    Thanks for the feedback, what schools tell us they want is a big driver for our development plans. We don't like to talk about our future development plans too much until we are sure we are going to do it and when we are going to deliver it - we know how frustrating it is to just constantly hear "coming soon".

We typically focus on interactions between home and school, rather than applications for use in the classroom. But as I say, we listen to what schools want so keep telling us what you need.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    I don't see that the market is crowded. Who else has a teacher app, apart from GC, and one that is well established and proved? PowerSchool has something, some internationals have stuff, e.g. ITworx ..
    Do any other MISes provide their own?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well Capita do now... and have had their brand of emerge for a while too.

I'm just saying that the concept had been around for a few years now and proven, there is likely to be a certain amount of saturation where a good portion of schools that want or need such a solution, because GC was the only option, took GC. Then a new entrant is faced with a somewhat limited market and then taking customers who are likely quite happy with the solution. Likely then a battle over cost, or you have us stalwarts Vik who will support Schoolcomms regardless

I honestly don't know about other MIS vendors, but it is a question on my MIS survey

Thank Post
    I would also be down for a Schoolcomms Teacher App - we have two licenses of GC, and it seems ridiculously pricey for what we use it for.

I'm trying to get the PE department to use their ipads with RDP, I've got one converted, but not the other yet (to be fair, it can be fiddly using SIMS on an ipad through RDP)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tombry View Post

I'm trying to get the PE department to use their ipads with RDP, I've got one converted, but not the other yet (to be fair, it can be fiddly using SIMS on an ipad through RDP)
    Have you tried the Cursor mode on MS's official iOS RDP App? Turns the screen into a trackpad, works really well with fiddley things where fingers just are not great.

6. 2 Thanks to Quackers:

tombry (12th February 2014), vikpaw (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I haven't actually - I set up SLT with 2xClient ages ago, and have used that on the PE ones - definitely going to swap them to the MS one now - that will get them to use it more for sure.

Thank Post
    Progress continues apace:

The iPhone app is pretty much complete and ready to go in the app store, just a bit more work to do on payments.

The Android app is coming along nicely, and we have started on the Web version in anger now:

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

We are now officially on the hunt for field trial schools - PM me if you are interested. You basically get the product for free for a while in return for giving us some feedback. (this will also include the ability to schedule the Schoolcomms import)

Also we are keen to provide some reports to the school on who is actually using Online Reporting and how, we thought this would be a good start, let me know if you think different:

School Gateway Summary (one line for each calendar month):
    Number of registered users (Total) | Number of registered users (app installed) | Number of students with at least one registered parent | Number of registered students | Number of registered staff | Unique visitors (parents) | Visits (parents) | Unique visitors (Students) | Visits (Students) | Unique visitors (Staff) | Visits (Staff) | Visits (app) | Visits (web)

Students without a School Gateway registered parent (one line per student):
    Forename | Surname | Form | Year

Online Reporting usage summary (one line per calendar month):
    Behaviour notifications sent (app) | Behaviour notifications sent (SMS) | Achievement notifications sent (app) | Achievement notifications sent (SMS) | Absences explained | About Me updates | Student Details updates | Pupil premium submissions (qualify)| Pupil premium submissions (not-qualify)| Behaviour views | Achievement views | Attendance views | Timetable views | Student Details views | About Me views | School Details views |

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    For every app notification that is sent, you could work out based on the schools plan, how much that has saved them as opposed to sending a text. That is a very powerful bit of info and can immediately show them return on their purchase.

Thank Post
    Be nice if you could at least ask to be notified when you'll release Windows Phone app. You make my phone sad. Apart from that looks pretty good, now if only my son's school would pick it up.

Thank Post
    I am pleased to say that Schoolcomms Online Reporting is now live The apps are in the app stores and School Gateway is rebranded and has all the new content in (take a look www.schoolgateway.com)

Thanks so much for all of you who have provided feedback, or given the product a go for real whilst we were testing. It is *really* appreciated.

The response to the product has been incredible, we've been live for just a couple of days and we have quite a few schools already activated with parents using it. The schools say they are getting really enthusiatic feedback from parents as well which is great to hear.

If you are interested then of course PM me or visit www.schoolcomms.com. You can try any or all of Schoolcomms for free for real, whether you are an existing customer or not. (sorry for the plug, but hey we pay for it )

P.S:We have delayed Payments in the app slightly (it's still available by web of course). It will be live directly after easter. IOS is done and Android is basically there, but we were worried about putting it live right before the Easter holidays in case parents had any problems or questions and couldn't contact their school.

Thanks again for all your contributions.

12. Thanks to Schoolcomms from:

GREED (23rd March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can I ask a couple of, probably, stupid questions?

1. On my Android version of the App, clicking on About Me/School Details gives me No Information, this may be because there is ano information or the school isn't using this part of School Gateway - is that because these are only part of the Online Reporting part (or because I am registered as a member of Staff rather then a parent)? If not, how can we get it so that details appear on the School Details part?
    2. Clicking on Messages, under the school name it has a reply sat there which I sent when we were testing the App before promoting it. Tapping on the school name doesn't bring up the old reply - is this because it was in the Old app and not been brought across or something else?

Edit: Just noticed on the School Gateway webpage, your Find Out More link doesn't actually go anywhere either....
    Last edited by Cache; 23rd March 2014 at 02:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Can I ask a couple of, probably, stupid questions?

1. On my Android version of the App, clicking on About Me/School Details gives me No Information, this may be because there is ano information or the school isn't using this part of School Gateway - is that because these are only part of the Online Reporting part (or because I am registered as a member of Staff rather then a parent)? If not, how can we get it so that details appear on the School Details part?
    2. Clicking on Messages, under the school name it has a reply sat there which I sent when we were testing the App before promoting it. Tapping on the school name doesn't bring up the old reply - is this because it was in the Old app and not been brought across or something else?
    It sounds like your school have not switched Online Reporting on in Schoolcomms - but rather than try and diagnose here, I suggest you give our support team a call on 0844 445 7147, or PM me with your contact details and I will get them to give you a call.

Edit: Just noticed on the School Gateway webpage, your Find Out More link doesn't actually go anywhere either....
    Ooops! We'll get something put on there.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Schoolcomms View Post
    It sounds like your school have not switched Online Reporting on in Schoolcomms - but rather than try and diagnose here, I suggest you give our support team a call on 0844 445 7147, or PM me with your contact details and I will get them to give you a call.
    That'll cover it, I know we haven't switched it on (because we'd have no money to continue afterwards ).

Cheers

Thank Post
    I would like to see the following added,

School Term Dates and or ideally School Calendar
    School Bulletin for staff

Thank Post
    As a short term view we thought that a lot of schools might choose to put their term dates in the "School Details" section - this is free form text for a school to enter so things like term dates, address, or other such information could be put in there.

We are thinking of putting a calendar in there, potentially linked to pull directly from the SIMS calendar. We'd be interested to get your feedback about whether you would want to share everything on the SIMS calendar with parents?

School Bulletin is another one we could potentially look at.

Good suggestions - keep them coming!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast