+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Biometric registration in Technical; I know there was a thing about a BSF school doing - i don't think it worked very well! We ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I know there was a thing about a BSF school doing - i don't think it worked very well!

We now have just purchased the groupcall emerge app for Sims for the PE staff to take registers in the field.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey_g View Post
    We use Facility CMIS here and are in the process of installing 4 Biometric scanners for 6th Form registration and to replace our late book. We currently us eportal for our registration and the installers are tailoring the system to enable us to use both methods. It is not being used yet as I'm taking a lot of time writing the consent letter to keep the parents on-side so I can't comment on the reliability but the scanners look almost bomb proof.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the Suppliers details so apologies if I'm not, but the company I deal with is A2Z Computer Products and the sales guy is Peter Hueck 01509 633569

Hope this helps

Mike
    I know A2Z have gone bust, but live register is actually produced by a different company which is still available. PM for contact details if required.

I have not used Live register, but it looked interesting.

3. Thanks to robk from:

ama178 (28th November 2011)

Thank Post
    I have already had a look at Emerge for CMIS/e-portal, the problem is the api will not suport all the register codes that we use. Groupcall are trying to find a work around but at the moment if the code does not exist the register for the student is over written.

Biometrics seems like a clever solution but I have to adnit i am having problems finding schools that have implemented it successfully.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I forgot to mention - we use Biometric's to sign sixth form students in/out of the building. It doesn't tie to sims but might work with CMIS

Its made by Cunninghams.

6. Thanks to glennda from:

ama178 (28th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    We're using Emerge for PE, still waiting on full site wide wireless before we draw any conclusions.
    If the API doesn't do what it needs, surely that's something for CMIS to fix..
    I don't know about schools using registration, but i've heard of quite a few schools using fingerprints for the library, and it seems to work well there and is now pretty quick. It might be worth looking at other systems where the tech is utilised.
    I think the company NEDAP do biometrics, for attendance and other things such as locker access.

Thank Post
    Vikpaw I agree the API is somthing that CMIS should fix, and from what they were saying at the Progresso launch event i went to last week they have. But i doubt the changes in the new system will filter into the older API.

We too have got a biometric scanner for the library and have had one for the last 4 years. It works absolutely fine, is robust, quick and easy to use and is one of the reasons that i am keen to explore the technology in other areas.

Thank Post
    Well Nedap are listed as a capita partner so is good for sims. I don't know about CMIS though, you'd have to check it out. Will you not move to Progresso?

Thank Post
    Yes but we wont be looking at the move till at least January 2013, That give the software time to have its main bugs ironed out, Allows Serco to publish the modules that will be missing from the initial release and finally this will be the time that the self hosted solution will also be available.

Basically I think we will be taking up release 2.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Have you asked Serco who they support for this kind of stuff? They have a list of partners who do various bits so could be able to help you?

As for Progresso, I cannot wait should start the migration in January fingers crossed and be ready for September which will be great, its an amazing looking product and everything I have seen and spoken to is agreeing with me that its great so very much looking forward to it.

Thank Post
    Nice to hear people talking about Progresso. I might start a Progresso thread actually for some feedback... feel free John.

As for the OP, if you give your account manager a call, they'll give you a list of partners that might be able to help.
    I could be completely wrong about this, but from memory, the API uses the same calls as ePortal, so if you can see the codes in ePortal, you can get them out of the API. If Groupcall is only looking for a set list, then groupcall need to change it, if indeed it doesn't export custom lists in the first place, then this is a change request at our end.

In terms of Progresso, you won't necessarily need the API because they can just use a phone on 3g out on the field.

Also, while you're looking at costs for third party software, consider the alternative cost of having wifi span the fields / halls etc. It might be that you can do that just as cheaply although that starts a whole different conversation about tablets etc.

The last thing for me to say is that the API in Progresso will not affect the current API. The products are completely seperate and this is why the API functionality change would be a change request at present.

Mic @ Serco

Please note,
    All posts are my own personal opinion and not necessarily those of my employers or others who I work with or represent
    Mic

13. 2 Thanks to michael2k6:

ama178 (30th November 2011), john (29th November 2011)

Thank Post
    I agree Progresso does look the bussiness, however there is one bit we need (events) that we use for behaviour that will not be in the initial release.

I have spoken to our account manager about biometrics and SERCO and she has given me one contact in Derby so will see what he has to say.

As for the list of partners only one mentions Biometrics and they can not help as thier software doesnt work fully yet.

WiFi we have site wide but PE staff are unwilling to take devices outside incase they get wet, damaged, lost or stolen....

Groupcall are in contact with SERCO re fixing the emerge app to take into account more registration codes.

Thank Post
    @ama178 - it would be good if you have any different feedback with the app, to add something to the sticky thread regarding Groupcall Emerge. At the moment it's all SIMS related, but i'm sure many would like to know how it fairs against other MIS , both good and bad.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12