+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, The MIS Challenge & Market Analysis in Technical; It shows this, it shows the numbers gained since the last year....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It shows this, it shows the numbers gained since the last year.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ahh yes, silly thing is that's the column I've been paying more attention to in the summary then the % change! >.<

Point still stands though, I don't trust the contents of the % change column because it shows skewed figures for new arrivals.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Ahh yes, silly thing is that's the column I've been paying more attention to in the summary then the % change! >.<

Point still stands though, I don't trust the contents of the % change column because it shows skewed figures for new arrivals.
    Agreed. Although I suspect it is the interpretation on the column, the figures are not skewed... ironically the issue is they SHOULD be!

Thank Post
    The way you'd do it is to group them together, so Capita vs the rest of the market - then the rest of the market split up - then you might compare the new entries separately with each other - ie in the first year, how many did they get vs other providers.

The problem is your now putting your own spin on the data and your making it user specific - the key to remember is Graham has put the raw data forward. That's step one, step two will be getting a good method of adding your spin on the data and something that is accessible. It's no good me building something in BI tool if the only people who can use it are suppliers!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Raw data is in the spreadsheet... I want people to be using it! I worked too long and hard for it to go to waste!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sweet I'll have a play with it tonight. Got SQL Express at home not used yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    The problem is your now putting your own spin on the data and your making it user specific .....
    errm... stats IS​ spin they'd be useless data without it

As for the new entrants, i also don't agree with high % - it is undefined, so needs to be asterisked with a footnote added as it would be in accounting documents.
    I'd rather see just the absolute number shown with an asterisk or highlight to indicate it's total current numbers, and the next stat to be % of total market, so it at least has some thing to compare to.

A good stat to monitor over time would be total schools with a new entrant, if there are more than one, and see this figure over time, assuming the supplier base keeps increasing.

Side note: Links to challenge detail and analysis added to First Post for quick reference.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 31st March 2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: painfully embarrassing typo

Thank Post
    How come your stats have Capita at +553? when these stats have Capita at -138? Everything else appears to be in sync across the two.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Spin?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    FYI I have taken the page down temporarily while I go back through all the steps... again...

There are notes plastered all over this that says this is info from the DfE, as well as the extreme difficulty in marrying up 21000 records 4 times (those darn schools open and close doesn't help!). I did say this was to be used as a rough guide, so I must admit I'm a little ticked off to see all this moaning about it.

I'll go back through the process from the raw data tonight/tomorrow (i'm know the process isn't perfect to date, but i'm buggered if I am gonna marry 84000 records manually... the new process should be a little more accurate )

So apologies chaps, will be back available again tomorrow for you to moan at some more

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No-one is moaning, just adding input to improve it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks @CAM (although I beg to differ, perhaps the difference between picking holes and moaning is a different in my book! )

Anyways, I have gone back through all the information and gone through the merging steps again, a huge task I might add! I have found that the process isn't flawless given that the data from all four years, plus the information in Edubase (where school details are kept) is not all there, which is what was throwing off the calculations when merging. If i had one difinitive source of information on all of the schools, this would have been easier (plus, schools have closed/opened since 2010! And will continue to close and open).

Upshot, the figures are much more accurate, and by comparison are aligned with other references. One my say why bother, and just used the other sources... feel free to, it is all the same data! I guess it depends on how details you actually want the data... LA and School historical level...

The website page will be back live again in the next 20 mins.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Update: this week I have had 3 more suppliers contact me with intent to supply responses, really great news! Big thanks to all who do who take time out to support the community with this project.

In other news, the survey is now available for download from the website for any school or LA who may wish to use some or all of it in their own procurements... Why reinvent the wheel! Completely free and unrestricted to use, although out of courtesy it might be nice to acknowledge it's use, but more importantly get in touch to let us know if it wad useful and how you got on with your procurement!

There is also a resources section for any and all free resources we discover out there surrounding data and information management.
    Last edited by GREED; 8th April 2014 at 08:25 AM.

Thank Post
    @GREED - quick question/piece of feedback on one of the questions on the survey:

"Assuming you follow all Data Protection policies, where is the UK is the data stored?"

My understanding is that the data protection act says the data should stay in the European Economic Area, rather than the UK. For example Amazon don't have any UK data centres, but they do have them in Ireland. For reference: Sending personal data outside the European Economic Area (Principle 8) - ICO

The way that question is phrased definitely implies that in order for a supplier to comply with the data protection act the data should be stored in the UK.

Thanks,

Nick

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nick

Thanks for your feedback. I will edit this later, although the meaning will be the same. Note for suppliers, please answer this question in your own survey as appropriate (if any of you read this!!).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast