+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
MIS Systems Thread, Capita partners and the API in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k - Receives documentation, makes something, sells it, giant can of worms Cough cough ;-)...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    - Receives documentation, makes something, sells it, giant can of worms
    Cough cough ;-)

Thank Post
    Are you asking because you have a genuine need for it? Serious question. I tend to find "successful" access to the documentation from schools result in one of the following scenarios:

- Receives documentation, look at it, tries it, fails, give up. Accept command reporting is best solution (however messy it may seem at the out set)
    - Receives documentation, makes something, leave job, school cuts loses maybe buys something off the shelf
    - Receives documentation, makes something, sells it, giant can of worms

PS: Technically you already have it if you have SIMS .net
    Yes, been asked to build statistical analysis tools using Sims data and want to evaluate best method: Read from copy or messy.

Totally understand the limited scenarios, but we would like to be able to decide this ourselves, not decided for us.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 11th April 2014 at 12:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So build you own? Is it worth seeing if there are any products out there at the moment that can do what you need?

Thank Post
    And if there isn't, any that come close. Good companies listen to pre-sales customers and they take their ideas onboard, after a good idea, is a good idea.

So this statistical analysis your building, is this just for your school or will you release it to others and if to others, will it be paid for free (and open-source)? If it's for your school only then I've got no interest. My import tool is about ~187k lines of code in and I'm still not happy with it and all that does is import a few fields. Only reason I'm bothering with it is it's got over 500 schools using it. If your thinking of selling it, well I've said my peace above. If your thinking of releasing it for free, maybe. Assuming if you can provide there is room for improvement somehow and that some other supplier isn't going to take your idea onboard and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Cough cough ;-)
    Yer, I ran away from that idea early on when I realised I couldn't hit a realistic price after giving everyone a slice of the pie. Thankfully @PhilNeal was kind enough to match my generosity so I think I've hit a price point everyone is happy with

Oh unless you're talking about the other, cough cough - then yes, can of worms, still, that was well worth it when you compare it to the others that didn't open the can and what's happened to them.

UPDATE:
    Just confirm "to match my generosity so I think I've hit a price point everyone is happy with", by which I mean its free and unofficial. If you want support I suggest looking at something like SalamanderSoft.
    Last edited by matt40k; 11th April 2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Added clarification

Thank Post
    So this statistical analysis your building, is this just for your school or will you release it to others and if to others, will it be paid for free (and open-source)? If it's for your school only then I've got no interest. My import tool is about ~187k lines of code in and I'm still not happy with it and all that does is import a few fields. Only reason I'm bothering with it is it's got over 500 schools using it. If your thinking of selling it, well I've said my peace above. If your thinking of releasing it for free, maybe. Assuming if you can provide there is room for improvement somehow and that some other supplier isn't going to take your idea onboard and use it.
    Not my decision to release or anything wider than provide analysis tools for SLT. Very much doubt it'll be sold though.

Thank Post
    What didn't they like with SIMS Discover out of interest?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234