+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS App? in Technical; Originally Posted by Seb1780 Yes, I've seen Capita SLG training but this has been aimed at the install / configuration ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb1780 View Post
    Yes, I've seen Capita SLG training but this has been aimed at the install / configuration rather than use of SLG. I want to be able to understand what it does, what are it's limitations and how I can use it beyond the VLE we bought it for. For instance, this app sounds good, but what training do I need to make sure the app will work with our setup?

I've only been here (i.e. working in education) for 18 months, and I was not around when the original decision was made to go with SLG. Normally it would be during that decision making process that I would answer a lot of the questions I have and learn a lot about the system. Nobody here has a clue what can be done with it, and I'm pretty sure we have not been maintaining it as we should.

So, would the Capita SLG Technical training benefit me?
    Do you have a SIMS account manager? Or is this done through your LA? Either way they would be my first ports of call. Ironically I did the same way way back in the day when we were looking as SLG (not for long mind )

2. Thanks to GREED from:

Seb1780 (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Virtually all SLG sites come to us directly and there are a lot of them! It's also nothing like the price quoted earlier in this forum. I also think it looks great!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You really do surprise me sometimes Phil...

Interesting to hear about prices, is that even direct schools? Interesting to know too you deal mostly direct.

Do you have advice for the chap here looking for development support?

Thank Post
    We are a SLG school and as I have posted in other threads - it works well and we (IT staff) and parents love it. I must admit, off the top of my head I don't remember costs as we purchased 5 years or so ago, but I don't think it was anything as expensive as I have seen quoted.

All of our teachers up until September 2013 used SLG as their main portal for Attendance, behaviour, Profile reports access to student / staff information other than key in our admin. Training was minimum for staff and quite often we put together step by step click here guides which were more than acceptable.

A lot of people dislike Sharepoint due to the clunkiness, we have rebranded ours with our own content and school colours and although I would agree it still has a look and feel to Sharepoint, it certainly is not as bland as an out of the box share point install.

I run and manage our SLG install and have had no formal SLG or Sharepoint training everything has been self taught, I install the updates generally prior to a SIMS update again with little or no fuss. Whether I would recommend it to another school, I would have my reservations and it certainly could be a full time role in managing and skinning the install.

6. 2 Thanks to Sylv3r:

Seb1780 (12th February 2014), vikpaw (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    We were quoted around £10,000 a few years ago. So yes the quoted price is about right.

I'm loathed to pay Capita any more money after having to fork out £9,000+ just to keep using SIMS after converting to an academy.

Talk about private sector being propped up by the public sector!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I run and manage our SLG install and have had no formal SLG or Sharepoint training everything has been self taught, I install the updates generally prior to a SIMS update again with little or no fuss. Whether I would recommend it to another school, I would have my reservations and it certainly could be a full time role in managing and skinning the install.
    Just out of interest how are the upgrades of SLG these days? Does it still mess with your active directory?

The difficulty of doing upgrades was one of the (many) reasons we got rid of SLG. Now we have TASC insight its 1 click to upgrade and it done in 30 seconds. Its so refreshing

Thank Post
    We also have TASC and it is really easy to upgrade and they constantly issue patches and add new features whenever a school asks for them.

Thank Post
    Another TASC happy customer here too and completely agree about patches and upgrades.

Thank Post
    Speaking to someone at Capita yesterday, the idea that this App would be available without SLG seemed to be more of a 'yes, soon' than a 'oh, people at BETT don't like it being with SLG, let's think about it'. So here's hoping it will be available SLG-less say by Summer? (Or, knowing Capita, sometime in September?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I wouldn't believe the hype.
    At BETT no one I spoke to knew anything about those plans.

It would be an amazing turn around to have it ready for summer.

I'd like to hear from SLG schools that take it on. I'm interested in the security side of things.

Thank Post
    We've recently had a quote in for SLG, these prices are less than two months old:

Self hosted - Including initial cost for licence, Implementation,"Annual Entitlement" Portal personalisation - £10,500 first year , £1100 for Annual Entitlement each following year - Total for 3 Years £12700

Capita Hosted - First year cost £6900, £4200 for licence each following year - Total cost for 3 years £15250

Odd, when you first contact Capita, the only cost mentioned is the licensing. Makes it sound really good value until the actual quote comes in. The app is now dangled as a sweetener for the whole thing, no details of when it would be ready.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    The thing that got us was the install costs, and then any overage if things went wrong, at £600-1000 per day. Very quickly adds up, especially when it's via remote session and our internet is sucky.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    The thing that got us was the install costs, and then any overage if things went wrong, at £600-1000 per day. Very quickly adds up, especially when it's via remote session and our internet is sucky.
    Price of living in the sticks mate

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For those few of us who have been reading this thread and head scratching at SLG it's: Sims Learning Gateway! I've seen no direct mention of Bromcom's Teachers Web Folder in this thread either. We have tried the latter but only about 2 of our staff ever seemed to use it so hard to justify the cost.

17. Thanks to speckytecky from:

GREED (16th February 2014)

Thank Post
    When you're paying £10k for installation costs, you can see why going via the LA makes sense. Bet they didn't even send you some chocolates on valentines day!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast