+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS App? in Technical; Someone please tell me how SLG is still alive? Actually someone tell me why LAs still think they win a ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Someone please tell me how SLG is still alive?

Actually someone tell me why LAs still think they win a huge deal by spending anything more than 47p for all their schools on SLG and then insist on rolling it out...

Edit: My gripe here is that I'd like to see LAs take a more proactive approach to purchasing and recommending solutions, not just x because it does y and costs next to nothing because we are buying in bulk...
    Last edited by GREED; 11th February 2014 at 01:59 PM.

Thank Post
    I have no faith in Capita.

Just provide a way to access their own server software via a browser: no mapped drive, no £10,000 add on's, no tie in's with their other terrible products.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I have no faith in Capita.

Just provide a way to access their own server software via a browser: no mapped drive, no £10,000 add on's, no tie in's with their other terrible products.
    That would be SIMS 8 then

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    or TASC software

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

zag (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    @GREED, is a LA gets a number of schools asking for something, and they get it regardless of if the LA provides it or not, it makes sense for the LA to get it then reduce costs and sure optimal TOC.

PS: Not agreeing with the whole SLG thing, just why a LA might provide it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sure if there are 100s of their schools asking for it. As an LA I should be looking to the market to provide the best solution though... and SLG is, I feel, not the best solution.
    Last edited by GREED; 11th February 2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: in my opinion!

Thank Post
    ...In your opinion.
    There are many schools out there that have embraced sharepoint, and so it's a nice fit for them. Not saying i like it, but it does work for some.

Thank Post
    We're currently at that stage where it all boils down to "you can lead a horse to water, but your can't make him drink". Basically schools are "rebelling" against the LA, if an LA states they must, the school will argue it's the wrong choice. This is why most LA have given the schools pretty much full control of their budget and gone, here's our recommendations, pick. Which is basically what the DfE has done with the MIS framework.

In Suffolk I think we recommend uniservity, in Cambridgeshire it was SLG and others picked Frog, Moodle. They've come under fire because they were "useless". I've seen some really epic setups on each and I've seen some truly terrible ones as well. The key is the ones that work, the school was 100% behind in and invested the time and money in it - normally hiring a person(s) dedicated to it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Riiiiiiiiiiight....

Let me make a few things clear because suddenly everyone has forgotten the way I am...

Yes, in my opinion SLG is not very good, it never has been, so the sheer amount of money it costs it should be and do a lot better. Read back through my posts I believe my opinion and outspoken nature is quite consistent. I'll edit the previous post to include that this is my opinion...

Yes, I now work for a company that pushes Moodle but at no time have I suggested this is a viable alternative or made a comparison (regardless of the fact that it is ), nor have I pushed my workplace.

The point I made about LAs ties in with my dislike for SLG, not LA procurement methods (I'll moan about those elsewhere!). The point that seems to be missed is SLG is very expensive regardless, and that LAs should be looking more openly at the market at who can/does integrate well with SIMS. TASC is an excellent suggestion there is nothing but positive comments here about that. Yes thank you for mentioning the IMLS as there are a multitude of options. The point was there should be guidance to schools on best fit based on research done by the LA, not (as I know for a fact has happened in at least 2 LAs) just get in SLG because it is an easy fix.

And finally, lets not assume that this is me using any excuse to bash Capita, as I have said I consistently talk about my dislike for SLG, but this doesn't extent in parallel to the rest of SIMS and associated products. SIMS 8 is going to be extremely interesting from the early work I have seen in NI.

Thank Post
    I know. I wasn't trolling, just applying some balance, i have equal if not more hatred than you for SLG, but i also know a lot of people out there who are really getting on with it quite well.

footer: You've always been the voice of reason : regardless of who you worked for

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I know. I wasn't trolling, just applying some balance, i have equal if not more hatred than you for SLG, but i also know a lot of people out there who are really getting on with it quite well.

footer: You've always been the voice of reason : regardless of who you worked for
    I know I know. You were right too that that post was my opinion.

To that end it would be great to hear from schools (or LAs, if they haven't run away!) that are using SLG well?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    To that end it would be great to hear from schools that are using SLG well?
    I'd like to use SLG well; we have it and we pay for it but due to a lack of knowledge we don't use it.

I've tried finding training, but so far have been unsucessful. Does anyone reading this know of any SLG specific training?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb1780 View Post
    I'd like to use SLG well; we have it and we pay for it but due to a lack of knowledge we don't use it.

I've tried finding training, but so far have been unsucessful. Does anyone reading this know of any SLG specific training?
    I'm sure you can pay for it from your LA or Capita most likely. I guess a good deal is SharePoint training too, and how you can develop this to use within your school and not just for SIMS use. What plans do you have to use it? What would you like to do with it?

Thank Post
    Yes, I've seen Capita SLG training but this has been aimed at the install / configuration rather than use of SLG. I want to be able to understand what it does, what are it's limitations and how I can use it beyond the VLE we bought it for. For instance, this app sounds good, but what training do I need to make sure the app will work with our setup?

I've only been here (i.e. working in education) for 18 months, and I was not around when the original decision was made to go with SLG. Normally it would be during that decision making process that I would answer a lot of the questions I have and learn a lot about the system. Nobody here has a clue what can be done with it, and I'm pretty sure we have not been maintaining it as we should.

So, would the Capita SLG Technical training benefit me?

Thank Post
    I went on the tech training. basically a day trying to explain how the hell you upgrade various versions of it.

17. Thanks to robjduk from:

Seb1780 (12th February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast