+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Solus 3 - Windows 8.1 - Connect.ini issues in Technical; Hello all, I am having an issue with windows 8.1 after installing sims workstation through solus 3 to a new ...

Thank Post

Solus 3 - Windows 8.1 - Connect.ini issues

Hello all,

I am having an issue with windows 8.1 after installing sims workstation through solus 3 to a new build. The problem is that when it loads it cannot find a connect file and even when you fill in the details in the prompt, it still won't work. The only way to remedy it is to login with the AD account that was used to add sims via solus 3. Anyone else come across this issue?

I don't want to be having to manually login for every new build that I make. So any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thank Post
    For info, at the moment, 8.1 is not officially supported until the Spring 2014 release.

Just use the SOLUS3 UI to push out the Connect.ini to all environment workstations.

Sounds like UAC is enabled, so if you decide to create it manually, be sure to run SIMS .net as an Administrator for the first time so that the Connect.ini file is permanently saved, otherwise it will be deleted after SIMS is closed and you'll be back to square one.
    Last edited by Rawns; 31st January 2014 at 10:40 AM.

3. Thanks to Rawns from:

TheGoodGuy (31st January 2014)

Thank Post
    We had an issue as well and found that we needed to give users full control over the SIMS folder in Program Files and to take the UAC to minimum control. We have it running on Windows 8 tablets now.

5. Thanks to GazN from:

TheGoodGuy (7th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GazN View Post
    We had an issue as well and found that we needed to give users full control over the SIMS folder in Program Files and to take the UAC to minimum control. We have it running on Windows 8 tablets now.
    May I ask what method you used to achieve this?

Thank Post
    Log it with Capita as you shouldn't have to give users full control of anything in c:\program files or lower UAC or anything that would make your system less secure!

Thank Post
    Does disabling UAC make your system less secure if the users are not admins?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,991 Posts
    I just use a startup script to copy the Connect.ini to the SIMS folder, so you could try that?

As mentioned above, don't change permissions on the Program Files folder or disable UAC.

Thank Post
    Far as I was aware UAC affects all users. It basically means everything is ran as a restricted user token until you allow it to run with the elevated account. I think Microsoft choice of words were a bit off - "Run as administrator" doesn't mean run as administrator. It means run as your elevated user token. The bit where you have to enter a user\pass is the old RUNAS which has been in Windows since XP, actually, I think it was Windows 2000

If I'm wrong, it shouldn't matter that UAC is on!!

My understanding of UAC is that you don't need administrator rights to surf the internet, so it runs your browser or whatever as sub-user with lowest rights possible. This way it limits the damage any malware\virus\trojan\whatever could do. I can't see how that is a problem that should be switched off. Capita SIMS is on Microsoft approved Windows Logo program, they are a Gold Partner so they really shouldn't be tell you to turn UAC off.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread