+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Discover 2.154 hanging transfer in Technical; Hi Guys After recently updating to SIMS 7.155 I have updated SIMS Discover to 7.154. However now my data transfers ...
    Thank Post

Question SIMS Discover 2.154 hanging transfer

Hi Guys

After recently updating to SIMS 7.155 I have updated SIMS Discover to 7.154. However now my data transfers are hanging for a few hours before eventually failing. The log file says the following:

There was an error transferring the data between the SIMS and Discover databases!
    &
    Unable to transfer data between SIMS and Discover after 5 attempt(s) - waiting for next request!

Anybody else experienced/experiencing this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    pretty sure the last time I had this issue I had the SA password incorrect.

Thank Post
    What else is in the log file? Usually there is a reason listed for the failure (timeout perido expired or issues with specific references to the tables in the database).

I'd firstly extend the Discover time-out period. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\Discover Services. Take a copy of Discover.Warehouse.Service.exe.config and name it Discover.Warehouse.Service.exe.config.old. Then open Discover.Warehouse.Service.exe.config in notepad. There should be a section titled <appSettings> like below:

Code:
      <appSettings>
        <add key="SIMSServerName" value="server\SIMS2008"/>
        <add key="SIMSDatabaseName" value="SIMS"/>
        <add key="DiscoverServerName" value="server\SIMS2008"/>
        <add key="DiscoverDatabaseName" value="DISCOVER"/>
        <!-- To enable internal log4net logging specify the following appSettings key -->
        <!-- <add key="log4net.Internal.Debug" value="true"/> -->
      </appSettings>
    Underneath <add key="DiscoverDatabaseName" value="DISCOVER"/> add the following:

Code:
    <add key="DiscoverBulkCopyTimeout" value="600"/>
    <add key="DiscoverCommandTimeout" value="600"/>
    <add key="DiscoverConnectTimeout" value="600"/>
    <add key="SIMSCommandTimeout" value="600"/>
    <add key="SIMSConnectTimeout" value="600"/>
    This will extend the timeout period to 10 minutes.

It's also worth applying the SIMS Reindex patch to the SIMS database. I've had these issues in schools before and the reindex patch and a server reboot seems to straighten the transfer service out in most cases.
    Last edited by Rawns; 31st January 2014 at 10:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Do you mean when originally installing Discover the SQL Authentication password was incorrect? Because when I installed I used the Trusted Authentication option. Or is there somewhere else when I provide the SA password?

Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm new to this.

Thank Post
    Any errors in the log file about the NETWORK SERVICE not having access to transfer data?

Thank Post
    I am getting the following in the log file over and over again.

<logItem level="WARN" time="31/01/2014 03:34:03:706" thread="7" user="UK-SHE-MIS1\DiscoverTransfer"><message>Increasing DiscoverBulkCopyTimeout</message></logItem>
    <logItem level="WARN" time="31/01/2014 03:34:03:707" thread="7" user="UK-SHE-MIS1\DiscoverTransfer"><message>Timeout has not been increased. Exception is not a SQL timeout exception.</message></logItem>
    <logItem level="WARN" time="31/01/2014 03:35:57:412" thread="7" user="UK-SHE-MIS1\DiscoverTransfer"><message>Increasing SimsCommandTimeout</message></logItem>
    <logItem level="WARN" time="31/01/2014 03:35:57:413" thread="7" user="UK-SHE-MIS1\DiscoverTransfer"><message>Timeout has not been increased. Exception is not a SQL timeout exception.</message></logItem>
    <logItem level="ERROR" time="31/01/2014 03:36:17:413" thread="7" user="UK-SHE-MIS1\DiscoverTransfer"><message>There was an error rolling back the transaction within Discover database!</message><exception type="System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException" message="Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."><stackTrace> at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni Error(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni (DbAsyncResult asyncResult, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadNet workPacket()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadByt e()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TdsExecuteTransact ionManagerRequest(Byte[] buffer, TransactionManagerRequestType request, String transactionName, TransactionManagerIsolationLevel isoLevel, Int32 timeout, SqlInternalTransaction transaction, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean isDelegateControlRequest)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Exe cuteTransactionYukon(TransactionRequest transactionRequest, String transactionName, IsolationLevel iso, SqlInternalTransaction internalTransaction, Boolean isDelegateControlRequest)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalTransaction.Rollb ack()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlTransaction.Rollback()
    at Discover.Warehouse.TransferAgent.Transferor.GetStu dentData(Int32 partitionID, Int32 partitionOrder, IDbConnection simsConnection, IDbConnection discoverConnection, ITransferConfiguration transferConfig, List`1 metrics)</stackTrace></exception></logItem>
    <logItem level="ERROR" time="31/01/2014 03:36:17:414" thread="7" user="UK-SHE-MIS1\DiscoverTransfer"><message>There was an error transferring the data between the SIMS and Discover databases!</message><exception type="System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException" message="Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'pk_Aspect'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.Aspect'.
    The statement has been terminated."><stackTrace> at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlExc eption exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServerInt ernal()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteRowSourceTo Server(Int32 columnCount)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServer(ID ataReader reader)
    at Discover.Warehouse.TransferAgent.Transferor.Execut eDiscoverBulkCopy(Int32 partitionID, IList`1 discoverTables, IDataReader simsDataReader, IDbConnection discoverConnection, IDbTransaction discoverTransaction, List`1 metrics)
    at Discover.Warehouse.TransferAgent.Transferor.Execut eSimsLoad(ITransferConfiguration transferConfig, IDbTransaction discoverTransaction, IDbConnection discoverConnection, IDbConnection simsConnection, List`1 metrics)
    at Discover.Warehouse.TransferAgent.Transferor.GetStu dentData(Int32 partitionID, Int32 partitionOrder, IDbConnection simsConnection, IDbConnection discoverConnection, ITransferConfiguration transferConfig, List`1 metrics)
    at Discover.Warehouse.TransferAgent.Transferor.TryExe cute(Int32 partitionID, Int32 partitionOrder, DateTime partitionTime)</stackTrace></exception></logItem>
    <logItem level="FATAL" time="31/01/2014 03:36:17:46" thread="7" user="UK-SHE-MIS1\DiscoverTransfer"><message>Unable to transfer data between SIMS and Discover after 5 attempt(s) - waiting for next request!</message></logItem>

Thank Post
    "Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

There's your issue. The transfer is timing out, usually it's because of the database and/or server performance. Extend the timeout transfer period as I posted above, get the SIMS reindex patch applied and bounce your box overnight (ideally before the time the transfer scheduled tasks run). You should then find the 1am overnight transfer task works successfully.

Also worth just checking the size of your Discover.ldf database file. I've seen some schools where it's grown to a stupid size and releasing the space if it's in simple recovery mode helps.
    Last edited by Rawns; 31st January 2014 at 10:51 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread