+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS help, changing an N to a U for late comers. in Technical; Hello, another SIMS related question. We have student that roll in after 1st lesson and don't sign in like they're ...

Thank Post

SIMS help, changing an N to a U for late comers.

Hello,

another SIMS related question.

We have student that roll in after 1st lesson and don't sign in like they're supposed to, therefore missing their AM mark when they should have recieved a U. Is there any way to default sIMS to make it change an N in lesson 1 to a U when the pupil shows up in another part of the morning session?

Thank Post
    Hi, there is a tick box in the Lesson Monitor Set-up (Tools -> Set-Ups -> Lesson Monitor Options - > Lesson Monitor Set-Up) marked "Change Session Unexplained Absences to Late". I think this is what that box does, though we don't use it here. Anyone else?

3. Thanks to ICTLady from:

vikpaw (1st February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,201 Posts
    That's the one or a similar setting is available in the setup to do that.

Thank Post
    Thank you, I'll try that

Thank Post
    Doesn't quite seem to be able to do what I'm asking

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,201 Posts
    It would work if say, you have a designated period you want to use for updating the session. So if it's first period, you'd have an A in 1st period in the grid display at the top.
    Then that tick box should back fill the late mark for you.
    I think it will only do it for that one period, i don't think it works as a blanket back-fill for the whole morning, which might be nice.

There should really for fire-drill purposes be a system of them signing in as late, and then that is put in manually for them. That's what we do.

Thank Post
    If they arrive after 8.45 they sign in and this is manually updated onto the system as a L or a U, depending how late they were. I think the problem is that they are coming in at break or after first lesson and not signing in at all so they are just showing up from lesson 2 or 3, and getting no morning mark.

Thank Post
    Looking at it, if your morning range covers lesson 2 or 3, and you tick "Change Session Unexplained Absences to Late when...", and then choose U as your late code you want, it should work.

I know ours change to L's currently (which is what we have set in that field).

You could try ticking the box above as well - where it copies lesson marks to session, but I'm not sure what that would actually do.

I know for our sixth form students we have earliest marks on for those that have earned it, and they don't have to go to registration - if their first lesson is Period 4, and they are marked in there, it writes back to morning registration as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tombry View Post
    Looking at it, if your morning range covers lesson 2 or 3, and you tick "Change Session Unexplained Absences to Late when...", and then choose U as your late code you want, it should work.

I know ours change to L's currently (which is what we have set in that field).
    You can only have one lesson per session set up to automatically update N's to L / U; if a student turns up after this lesson they are technically absent all session.

You could try ticking the box above as well - where it copies lesson marks to session, but I'm not sure what that would actually do.
    You can only set one option or the other per session, not both.

I know for our sixth form students we have earliest marks on for those that have earned it, and they don't have to go to registration - if their first lesson is Period 4, and they are marked in there, it writes back to morning registration as well.
    Do you fine the earliest marks system works? We had no end of problems with it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb1780 View Post
    You can only have one lesson per session set up to automatically update N's to L / U; if a student turns up after this lesson they are technically absent all session.
    Haven't used it really - but the way it looks is like it covers the whole morning session - which for us is periods 1-3, so I assumed that's how it worked - I'll check with my Attendance Officer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb1780 View Post
    Do you fine the earliest marks system works? We had no end of problems with it.
    It wasn't working right when we had it set up for all of sixth form, but I haven't heard any complaints about it from my head of sixth since we moved it to just doing it for the students that have earned it (those above target in all subjects, with excellent lesson attendance).

12. Thanks to tombry from:

Seb1780 (27th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I think I'm going to have to give this a try. We're also having trouble with sixth form

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread