+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS User defined fields - one-to-many in Technical; Hi I know SIMS.net supports "user defined fields", which are a pretty quick-and-dirty way of storing *current* data about e.g. ...
    msi

Thank Post

SIMS User defined fields - one-to-many

Hi

I know SIMS.net supports "user defined fields", which are a pretty quick-and-dirty way of storing *current* data about e.g. a student. For example, if you wanted to store a student's NI number, you could do.

Also I had a brief play with "history", is that a view mode which gives access to historic data stored about a student?

If so, do user defined fields support history?

Basically I want to be able to store other data about students, ideally with some kind of support for finding out who recorded that data, when it was recorded, and a way of viewing historic data.

Anyone know of any extensions / modules that can help? Or even a system that might sync various data to a separate database which I could then give certain well-trained staff members access to through Access or somesuch?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I'm not as experience like other people on here.

However if it was me I will record and store all of that information in assessment manager. So create result sets and aspects for all of that data as well as a marksheet. Doing it in assessment manager will enable you to see who imputed that data into SIMS and view historic data plus you can create a group of teachers who will be able to access that marksheet/data

3. 2 Thanks to chrisateen:

CaterinaAnna (28th January 2014), LosOjos (28th January 2014)

Thank Post
    We use several UDFs but I've not found a way to update them bar going into Student Details for each individual.
    That's a pain, so we tend to keep it for things which don't change often.
    Neither, as far as I am aware, is there an audit trail or a way of accessing history. In fact, running a report with effective date changed picks up current values, which suggests changes lead to overwrites rather than updates.
    So, chrisateen's suggestion seems reasonable.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd be careful with that from a security perspective though. Taken from SIMS help for UDFs:

Users will only be able to view user defined fields on panels that they already have Permissions to access. For example, some class teachers may not be able to view students' Medical or Welfare information.
    Assessment Manager will allow access to that data for everyone with AM7 access. So if the data is sensitive and for certain eyes only, it should be a UDF regardless.

6. Thanks to CAM from:

LosOjos (28th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    @CAM is right, you need to be careful what you are storing in AM7 as it's viewable to anyone via the "Assessment" tab (in student links)

That said, if you are sure the data is not sensitive and are happy for any SIMS user to see it, AM7 is a great solution to your problem.

AFAIK, UDFs do not support history or auditing. You could set up fields for date, user and comment but that'd still only allow one value to be stored but at least you'd know when it was last updated. As for bulk UDFs updating, I don't know if it still works but @matt40k made a tool to do that a while ago: SIMS Bulk Import - 1.7

8. Thanks to LosOjos from:

CaterinaAnna (28th January 2014)

Thank Post
    UDFs are pretty visible too. As ever, it's a question of thinking carefully about access, permissions and distribution.

Thank Post
    The point about security is something you need to consider as technically speaking everyone can view the data.

However remember that you can restrict who can edit the marksheet as you can create a user defined group then add the teachers who should be in charge of that group.

They would be the only ones to edit the data.

Thank Post
    I thought with UDF you can define the block that it is attached to then restrict access to that block? Is a bit annoying about the lack of history however, I guess you could do regular exports if it came to it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaterinaAnna View Post
    UDFs are pretty visible too. As ever, it's a question of thinking carefully about access, permissions and distribution.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I thought with UDF you can define the block that it is attached to then restrict access to that block? Is a bit annoying about the lack of history however, I guess you could do regular exports if it came to it.
    @matt40k is correct - if you put a UDF in the Welfare panel for example, only users who have sufficient permissions to view that panel will be able to see it

Quote Originally Posted by chrisateen View Post
    The point about security is something you need to consider as technically speaking everyone can view the data.

However remember that you can restrict who can edit the marksheet as you can create a user defined group then add the teachers who should be in charge of that group.

They would be the only ones to edit the data.
    Although you are correct that only those you give access to marksheets can edit the data, anyone can view it by opening up a student profile and clicking on "Assessment" under "Links"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    @matt40k is correct - if you put a UDF in the Welfare panel for example, only users who have sufficient permissions to view that panel will be able to see it

Although you are correct that only those you give access to marksheets can edit the data, anyone can view it by opening up a student profile and clicking on "Assessment" under "Links"
    I know I was just pointing that even though anyone can view the data does not mean they can edit the data.

I think he needs to decide how sensitive the data is. If it is sensitive data then the udf route may be a better option

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lets say you put the data NI Number into the aspect STUDENTNI and Result Set STDATA. You then restrict access to the marksheet or lock the results to prevent editing. There is nothing to stop me from going to the Assessment tab and viewing the NI Number there. Also, if I have permissions for AM7 there is nothing to stop me from adding STUDENTNI//STDATA in to a new marksheet and viewing/tampering with it there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Lets say you put the data NI Number into the aspect STUDENTNI and Result Set STDATA. You then restrict access to the marksheet or lock the results to prevent editing. There is nothing to stop me from going to the Assessment tab and viewing the NI Number there. Also, if I have permissions for AM7 there is nothing to stop me from adding STUDENTNI//STDATA in to a new marksheet and viewing/tampering with it there.
    I know that already. Plus people can still tamper with the user defined feilds. I have had problems with tampering and its a shame SIMS does not have an audit trail.

In fact I knew someone who never saved any files on the work computer so that when they left the school could not get access to the work they did whilst employeed by the school

No matter how hard you try and stop people accessing and modifying data there will always be someone who can potetially gain access to it. We unfortunatly (to a small extent) have to trust that people will behave like professionals even though we know that very few are capable of doing that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread