+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Migrate Solus 3 to SQL 2012 on same server in Technical; Hi All, I have migrated SIMS/FMS/Discover from SQL 2008 to 2012 using the migration utility, with no problems at all. ...

Thank Post

Migrate Solus 3 to SQL 2012 on same server

Hi All,

I have migrated SIMS/FMS/Discover from SQL 2008 to 2012 using the migration utility, with no problems at all. Solus 3 obviously cant be done using the migration utility, so I'm wondering if any of you has migrated Solus 3 from SQL 2008 to 2012 manually? If so, how? I am keeping it on the same server, same name etc just moving to SQL 2012.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Thank Post
    Have not done a SOLUS3 migration yet but I'm guessing your going to need to use SQL Management Studio.

Deattach or create a backup of the database from the SQL2008 instance and then restore/attach to the SQL2012 instance.
    In Start --> All programs --> Solus3, there are 2 editors which will allow you to change the server\instance.0
    Then go to SOLUS3 Agents --> Update Enviroment --> Move SQL database targets
    This will reconfigure the database targets in SOLUS3.

This is only a guess. @Rawns and @matt40k might know a better way of doing it.

Thank Post
    Hi Ghostgame, thanks for the reply!

I have a backup of the database ready, Can I not attach the database using DBattach SIMS utility, or if not, do you know how to do it using SQL Management Studio (never done it that way before).

The rest of it I will be able to do no problem, I have checked the locations you mentioned and can see its still pointing to the 2008 instance as expected.

Thank Post
    I've not migrated any sites yet to 2012 so can't accurately comment, however I would 'assume' it's the same process as moving SOLUS3 between servers. Something like this maybe?

1. Detach SOLUS3 from old SQL2008
    2. Install a blank SOLUS3 DB on the new SQL2012
    3. Delete the newly installed blank database
    4. Copy the S3 database from SQL2008 Data folder and dump it in the SQL2012 Data folder
    5. Attach it to SQl2012 instance using SQL Management Studio
    6. Delete the old security user from the database (<DOMAIN>\<SERVER>$)
    7. Uninstall SOLUS3 service and UI
    8. Re-install new S3 services & UI and point them to SQL2012 instance
    9. Re-register the UI and then manually correct the SIMS, FMS and Discover channels to point them all to the new SQL2012 locations
    10. Update the agents to point to the new instance

Thank Post
    Should be easier if its the same server, no re-registering the server. Just a question of restoring the database to SQL2012 then changing the settings using the tool like @Ghostgame says.

If only they did the change I asked for ages ago so DBAttach would restore S3 database

(Is that a S3Attach I see on the horizon?)

6. Thanks to matt40k from:

Rawns (23rd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Should be easier if its the same server, no re-registering the server. Just a question of restoring the database to SQL2012 then changing the settings using the tool like @Ghostgame says.

If only they did the change I asked for ages ago so DBAttach would restore S3 database

(Is that a S3Attach I see on the horizon?)
    At this Rate, the will be a full "Matt40k's S3 Admin Suite"!

8. 2 Thanks to Rawns:

Ghostgame (23rd January 2014), matt40k (23rd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Lol - can already hear the YouTube ad - "Only £9.99, buy now and if Capita fixes all the problems by March 2014 we solve we'll give you your money back!"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Solus3 Installation and Configuration guide has a section on migrating to SQL on the same server near the back.

The instructions above are pretty much on the money.

SupportNet Resource ID 21925. I'm building up to try and do all mine in February half term :/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Solus3 Installation and Configuration guide has a section on migrating to SQL on the same server near the back.

The instructions above are pretty much on the money.

SupportNet Resource ID 21925. I'm building up to try and do all mine in February half term :/
    Like Cache we are planning a number over February half term. On the testbed school, the migration tool dealt with sims, fms and discover and the instructions in 21925 were followed to move solus3 over. Last time around the tool was provided in the setups folder but this time you have to transfer the tool over to the server first. We plan ours to be done remotely.

Maybe we should set up a therapy group for february migrators! We'll have the edugeek app open for sure....

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone! Luckily we only have a few sites that have Solus3 installed to a SQL 2008 instance, The rest do not have Solus 3 yet, So I am going to migrate SIMS/FMS/Discover using the migration tool so there is an SQL 2012 instance, then I will install Solus 3 after the migration!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neilenormal View Post
    Maybe we should set up a therapy group for february migrators! We'll have the edugeek app open for sure....
    I could probably do with one. I've put aside the Monday and Tuesday. Monday to do it and Tuesday to undo it if need be.

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Just thought I would let you know that I have successfully migrated Solus 3 to SQL 2012 from 2008 using the steps below.

* Stop the Solus3 deployment service
    * Copy the Solus3 databases from the 2008 SQL data folder and drop them in the 2012 SQL data folder
    * Run SQL Server Management Studio and detach the 2008 Solus3 Database
    * Using SQL Server Management Studio, attach the Solus3 database to 2012
    * Run both Solus3 string editors and change from 2008 to 2012, and save
    * Now run Solus3 and click "Solus 3 agents" then "Update environment" then "Move SQL database targets"
    * In my case, I had SIMS/FMS and Discover still set to 2008, so I ticked them all and clicked next X 2 skipping the change SA password screen
    * Chose create new SQL server target and entered the new instance name to 2012 and new BINN location and clicked next.

JOB DONE.

Thanks everyone for their input!

15. Thanks to ianriley1986 from:

IWDave (18th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Our testing of the migrations is ongoing. The redirection service seems to tell the connect.ini about the new instance (although sometimes only on the local one not the redirect one) Have to manually do third party stuff like Groupcall, and any batch files that do a dbattach backup? The sims, fms and discover parts all seem to work well. Not done a full sql one yet all express so far!
    However, the Solus3 bit is proving a challenge!! Is the only way to migrate the solus3 database from 2008 to 2012 to use SQL Management Studio? Teams planning multiple migrations will need to know this, if on every solus3 server we need to install it to complete the migration.
    Just that it might be a pre requisite to those planning half term migrations?

Thank Post
    Hi neilenormal,

You are correct in thinking that you need SQL Management Studio to migrate the Solus3 databases. I only migrate Solus3 to 2012 once I have done SIMS, FMS and Discover using the migration utility.

I have done around 7 Solus3 migrations to 2012 and its fairly straightforward....

18. Thanks to ianriley1986 from:

neilenormal (6th February 2014)

Thank Post
    so today we are off and running.... One server will not migrate the FMS database (SIMS has been successful) we think this might be because users in FMS have a dash in their username? We recall problems with 2008 migration with apostrophe names like O'Connner. Server is 2008 SP1 R2. Any ideas folks?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast