+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Progress 8 Measure in Technical; So I'm sure most of you have seen the document from the dfe laying out their current ideas on the ...
    Thank Post

Progress 8 Measure

So I'm sure most of you have seen the document from the dfe laying out their current ideas on the progress-8 measure, with promises that we'll have the full one at the end of February.

I'm starting to build out some marksheets to look at my current y9s and see how they line up under the progress 8, and was doing well until I got to the actual progress 8 measure.

I've got my Y9s in with their estimated grades, going across 15 subjects. Going from the dfe guidance I need to count their best 8 grades with the following rules:

2 of the 8 have to be English and Maths
    3 of the 8 have to be from Ebacc subjects; Science, ICT, Geography, History, Spanish, French (easy enough, Max 1, 2, 3 columns pull that)
    the last 3 have to be from the Ebacc, as well as Art, Drama, Muisc, Computing, and any Vocational courses that make the list.

and here is where I'm having a problem, as if I use Max 1, 2, 3 columns, I'm going to get overlap from the Ebacc subjects (I'm sure) - so how can I pull the highest 3 grades that aren't included in the Ebacc Max columns?

Thank Post
    my understanding is that you rank the ebacc subjects all the way from 1 to 6 and then in the final grouping only include the ebacc subjects ranked 4 to 6, avoiding any overlap?

have not go round to building it yet bethink this should work - let me know f I have helped or confused please.

dave

3. Thanks to Dave_Bensley from:

tombry (24th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tombry View Post
    .....where I'm having a problem, as if I use Max 1, 2, 3 columns, I'm going to get overlap from the Ebacc subjects (I'm sure) - so how can I pull the highest 3 grades that aren't included in the Ebacc Max columns?
    Would something like this work?

max1,2,3(min1,2,3(ebacc),other subject1, other subject2,.........))

5. Thanks to Seb1780 from:

Thank Post
    Progress 8 isn't completely defined as yet. You can get close to what has been put up within AM but some of the bits around the edge need to be hard coded unfortunately. The plan is to get a report into AM probably with the autumn release. Schools are not required to report on Progress 8 until next year.

Thank Post
    @Seb1780, you put me onto the right way of doing it - I just need to include the Max 1, 2, and 3 columns in my 4, 5, and 6 checked columns.
    @PhilNeal,

I appreciate that we won't have to report on it until next year, but I have Y9s that are choosing their options, and will start those options in May/June when the Y11s leave for study break, and would like to see what they look like. I also know that it's not been completely defined yet, but it has basically been frameworked, so it's easy enough to get a start on it.

As for the edge bits that would need hardcoding, I'm not sure what those would be - it seems to be a very simple measurement, and outside of the issue I was having above, I think I'll be able to get it set up today. Can you explain what you mean?

Thank Post
    @tombry I've spoken to the experts and you are right. It can be done in marksheets but its quite convoluted and a hard coded report will be produced.

9. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

Thank Post
    @PhilNeal

Either I've way oversimplified this, or I'm confused by what your experts consider to be a convoluted mess!

I've got Max 1-6 columns set up pulling in my top 6 Ebacc scores, I then have other 1-3 Max columns pulling from EBacc Max 4-6, as well as my other subjects.

I've doubled English, throw it all together and get my scores.

Seems far less convoluted than the 60 step process I was sent on how to set up tracking the EBacc as the nested if statements treat a blank space as greater than a number (which still isn't 100% accurate, but by now I know who my 4 or so false positives are)

11. Thanks to tombry from:

davidpott (25th February 2014)

Thank Post
    @tomby

I think you've done it! I've just had a play with MAX formulas as you suggest and (with a minor alteration) - it works.

I've included the updated advice about doubling the highest score of Eng Lan or Eng Lit, then using the second higher of the two with the Ebacc 'pool' (see https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...rk_reforms.pdf)

Progress8.PNG

The first column is just the math grade - 'as is'

Next, a couple of MAX formulae identify the highest and second highest eng lang or lit grade, then doubles the highest.

A second set of MAX Ebacc 1 to MAX Ebacc 6 formulas look across the remaining EBacc subjects (but not english or math)

A third set of MAX Other 1 to MAX Other 3 formulas look across the second highest english column, the MAX 4, 5 and 6 Ebacc subjects and all the other non EBacc subjects

The Progress 6 Column uses a SUM formula to add together MAX EBacc 1 + 2 + 3 and MAX Other 1 + 2+ 3

Finally the Progress 8 column uses a SUM formula to add together Progress 6 + DOUBLE English + Maths Grade

I need to go and lie down. What do you think?

<EDIT>Forgot to double weight maths - but you get the idea.</EDIT>
    Last edited by davidpott; 25th February 2014 at 09:06 PM.

13. 2 Thanks to davidpott:

Tash (20th March 2014), tombry (25th February 2014)

Thank Post
    @davidpott

Exactly what I did, although as I only have y9s not separated to eng and eng+lit yet, didn't get that set up, so props to you on that, I'll make sure to take that in when we split them off in a couple months.

Edited to add:

Set yourself up a new gradeset using the p8 points, aspects to hold them, and a mark sheet to copypasta the grades from one to another, take about an hour or so, but you'll need it soon enough
    Last edited by tombry; 25th February 2014 at 08:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Good advice about the new 1-8 values for the grades A*-G - I've not really taken the implications on board yet...

Thank Post
    These marksheet templates look good.

One thing to bear in mind is the English is only double weighted if both English & English Literature have been studied (with, as you say, the higher grade counting.) Easily achieved in a template, but you may need to tweak what you describe above (off the top of my head I'm thinking an extra GRADE TALLY COLUMNS counting the 2 English columns and then multiply the English MAX points by this value.)
    Last edited by Ecclesbury; 26th February 2014 at 10:14 AM.

Thank Post
    well for the first year it won't matter - as the English Exam they take carries some Literature study in it - at least that's what the fact sheet from the gov says, and I'm just trying to give our Head something to look at to prepare him for how different it looks compared to our current methods.

Thank Post
    Ah yes, that's true. A lot of this will depend on each schools particular curriculum offer as doing a Double English course, or one with some literature, as you say, will still count double.

Of course they could change all manner of other things anway, but I'd hope that large scale changes won't be

Thank Post
    If you have access to FFT data you could add in est. 'A' for those subjects, and subtract the predicted grades from them, and work out whether you will be below the Dfe floor (avg -1/2 a grade difference), or averaging +1 grade above and get a free pass from an Ofsted inspection for 12 months.

Thank Post
    well I know what I'm putting together tomorrow

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast