+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Progress 8 Measure in Technical; I've been playing with similar ideas. Just be aware that this will be a rough approximation. We don't yet know ...

Thank Post
    I've been playing with similar ideas. Just be aware that this will be a rough approximation. We don't yet know how the school's target will be calculated and doing it this way doesn't account for other schools offering students a different curriculum (for one thing).

Thank Post
    Really rough for sure, but will at least give me something to go to with for showing the head how it's changing.

Thank Post
    This sounds fantastic, is there any chance you can share the marksheet so I can have a look at

Thank Post
    I don't have them built as aspects yet, just formula reviews - needed to proof of concept it before taking it to the full on ends.

is there a way to export it nicely?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoFast View Post
    I've been playing with similar ideas. Just be aware that this will be a rough approximation. We don't yet know how the school's target will be calculated and doing it this way doesn't account for other schools offering students a different curriculum (for one thing).
    FFT A methodoloigy and how the DfE will calculate the subject level estimates should be fairly similar. The errors will creep in when you look at your own schools predictions of what students will achieve.

Thank Post
    I put A, D, and our internal targets in, as well as our estimates.

I think in the first instance it's going to make the head question how some students have the targets they do - when they are 5 grades over internal targets, but 5 grades below FFTA targets, there is probably something wrong with their internal targets.

I'm just happy I have it set up now really - I'll worry about finalizing it after the full spec comes out, and I'm guessing after the releasing potential event I attend next week.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tombry View Post
    I don't have them built as aspects yet, just formula reviews - needed to proof of concept it before taking it to the full on ends.

is there a way to export it nicely?
    Routines | Data Out | Assessment | Export

Haven't done it for a while, but i think you can dump a load together as an XML for someone else to view. You'd also need to do the aspects that are contained in it for it to work. The recipient needs to import them.

The system i inherited was built like this, except the mods made on top didn't follow the same pattern, and aspects that should have been grades were added as integer and the whole thing became a mess, but it can be v.useful.

We should do this more often here, if it works, so others can share the cool templates and the hardship of the formulae creating, but when everyone has a different set of aspects to begin with it becomes a problem.

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

tombry (4th March 2014)

Thank Post
    as @vikpaw has told me how, I'll export them out later, or tomorrow even.

I'll give you the aspects and the template - should be enough, as the template only has the aspects and the formula review columns.

bonus for me, y'all can give me feedback on tweaks.

keep in mind, I don't have to figure out the English on this, as it's year 9, and they haven't been slotted yet.

sometime in June I'll be doing that one up.

Thank Post
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you export the template on it's own, when another user imports this template it will create any associated aspects, grade sets and result sets that don't already exist in their database. In other words you don't have to also export the aspects and such, the template export will do all that for you. However, it does mean that a user importing your template will end up with a load of extra aspects in their database. Not only this, those imported aspects will not be editable so you can't be sneaky and just rename all the aspects that you have created.

Final thing, even if you had aspects with identical names, when importing they will not match up. SIMS will do the usual thing of creating a new aspect called ASPECT NAME~1 and GRADE SET~1 etc. This is because, like timetable elements, all assessment manager elements have associated GUIDs.

To cut a long story short, if people plan to take someone else's template and use it in their own database it is going to be much easier to import the template to have a look at how it all works, then delete it and re-create your own version.
    Last edited by Ecclesbury; 4th March 2014 at 02:15 PM.

11. 2 Thanks to Ecclesbury:

Tash (20th March 2014), vikpaw (5th March 2014)

Thank Post
    That's not to say you couldn't open the raw XML and tinker with the GUIDs of course! But I believe the imported template itself would still not be editable.

Thank Post
    yeah I just exported the template, looks like you're right.

and you'll all be able to see where I work now too...P8WIP.7z

the template is called "Test for Tom 1", I 7-zipped it, and the xml file is called P8WIP

enjoy?

14. 2 Thanks to tombry:

jimbojames136 (27th March 2014), Tash (20th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Ah, i thought it might do that but wasn't sure.

Yep, it's defo better to take it to look at, and then actually just clone the bits you want including aspects, so you can edit. In some cases it might be possible to just edit the template and put in your aspects, but with complex formulae it's a right pain.

It's nice if it's just a whole new system that you don't already have.

Similar issue when you import reports from someone, best to clone and save as your own, so they have your name on them and can be edited.

Thank Post
    Ah of course, I forgot that you could clone imported stuff and then muck about with it. That would definitely make things easier!

Thank Post
    yeah my former line manager will be happy that he'll be able to step through it now instead of just having a locked template

good thing he did this this morning, as he's pointed out I'm not doubling maths - which for some reason I just ignored.

he is also contending that I have to divide by 10, not 8, as Maths and English are doubled - which confuses me, what's the point of doubling them then?
    Last edited by tombry; 5th March 2014 at 11:55 AM.

Thank Post
    I'd imagine you double because they are counted twice, or worth as much, but to get an overall average you have to divide by the total standard unit count. I'm speaking mathematically, as i'm not up on the exact specifics of the P8 measure.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast