+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, sims change request in Technical; if you use the homework section in sims and on your vle, if a member of staff does not fill ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Exclamation sims change request

if you use the homework section in sims and on your vle, if a member of staff does not fill in the handed in date then you will get parents ringing saying that your VLE is wrong i.e not been updated to reflect that there son or daughter has done their homework

ref 1401-1272740

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_lane View Post
    if you use the homework section in sims and on your vle, if a member of staff does not fill in the handed in date then you will get parents ringing saying that your VLE is wrong i.e not been updated to reflect that there son or daughter has done their homework

ref 1401-1272740
    Surely that's a training issue? If the teacher doesn't fill in the handed-in date, how is the system supposed to know the homework is complete?

NOTE: I haven't used the homework module so apologies if there's an obvious reason this isn't down to staff training

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't really comment but i agree with what your saying lol

Thank Post
    We've encountered the same problem here at Montgomery too. Technically it is a staff training issue but there is currently no ability to bypass the feature.

We've come under increasing pressure to find a bypass for this from our SLT and HT. Evidently exactly the same thing has been happening with parents calling in complaining about homework being listed as not handed in, simply because the teacher has not been able to update SIMS by the hand-in date.

Thank Post
    This is totally training and school policies, if staff aren't completing this, it's not an issue with the system. Same would apply to registers.

Any SIMS user can edit Homework if required if they are assigned to either class teacher or reg tutor permission groups, you could make admin add a hand-in date, probably wouldn't be right though...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yea I understand all and can do that but what I'm getting at is if the teachers don't want to that's my point we have had create a css so that it hides the fact that the work hasn't been handed in because staff cant be bothered to fill in the dated handed in box

Thank Post
    Or more likely haven't got the time.
    If you're checking homework, your record will be in your 'markbook' (whatever form that takes), so putting the date completed in the homework section of SIMS at the very least involves switching between windows.
    And if you're dealing with paper-based homework and markbooks on the kitchen table at home with no or flaky remote access to SIMS...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yea I don't let staff remote in they just use the web parts. but however not being harsh but what ever happened to doing things properly. if you are going to use the system then use it. don't use it then say "oh I don't want to do that bit" its like me installing an windows server os I don't mind installing it but i'm not going to install windows updates or install any anti virus. its all part of the process and then schools wonder why people don't use sims properly to because half of the data is missing because some one cba to put the other half in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread