+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Access from home for 1 VIP user...? in Technical; Hi All, So, I have been asked to provide home remote access to SIMS for the Head... I have looked ...
    Thank Post

Access from home for 1 VIP user...?

Hi All,

So, I have been asked to provide home remote access to SIMS for the Head...

I have looked through various posts with some amazing solutions, but most of them are obviously overkill for one user. This will not be something that is going to be offered to anyone else.
    I have VERY limited knowledge of remote access solutions (read LogMeIn), especially ones to work such sensitive software in real time and using live databases. I have only ever used remote desktop across site and know nothing about what running terminal services entails so please be gentle... I have not been involved in using VPN or VNC or connecting to an external IP which I don't even know.
    We are running SIMS on a 2008 (not R2) server.

It's a big ask I know, but 'Help me EDUGEEK, you're my only hope....'

Also if anyone knows any 'quick and dirty' solutions that they would rather not discuss openly, please feel free to PM me...

Kol.

Thank Post
    Check out teamviewer:

TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings

Install client at either end and you're good to go.

Thank Post
    @Koldov - Are you part of any grid for learning? For us London Grid provide RAv3 (Remote Access v3) and part of this is the cisco vpn client. works well for us.

Thank Post
    I’m sure the head can justify purchasing a license on behalf of the school if it’s so important.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cscc View Post
    Check out teamviewer:

TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings

Install client at either end and you're good to go.
    Be careful with data protection on this. I think that sometimes the risk / benefit ratio is overplayed bearing mind the limited impact of the data potential being exposed. However, with SIMS, there is a lot of personal data impacted. In this scenarion I would be looking for a system with 2 factor authentication or saying no.

6. Thanks to jmak from:

tombry (15th January 2014)

Thank Post
    @fiza - No, nothing that I'm aware of.

I’m sure the head can justify purchasing a license on behalf of the school if it’s so important.
    A license for the Cisco VPN thing? Sure it's possible. What is the benefit over the TeamViewer or LogMeIn?

Kol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    @fiza - No, nothing that I'm aware of.

A license for the Cisco VPN thing? Sure it's possible. What is the benefit over the TeamViewer or LogMeIn?

Kol.
    TeamViewer is just an effortless solution for remote access, something even a head teacher wouldn't struggle to use. As it’s not private use as pointed out above it would require the most basic license purchasing.

With regards to encryption:

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/14...eamViewer.aspx
    Last edited by cscc; 15th January 2014 at 09:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Try centrastage it's free for 5 computers. IT Remote Management Software:One Platform For Every Device

Thank Post
    Well, I know it's only blurb, but:

TeamViewer:

All TeamViewer versions use full encryption. Encryption is based on 2048bit RSA private/public key exchange and 256 Bit AES session encoding. This uses the same security level as https/SSL and is considered completely safe by today's standards. The key exchange also guarantees that the data channel is completely encoded from client to client and that any routers or servers in between (including our routers) are unable to read or analyze the data stream. Security and privacy have always been a top priority during development.

LogMeIn:

Security

The same encryption used by online banks. With LogMeIn, your computers are secure with 256-bit SSL encryption for all connections, from user account settings to authentication.

Looks legit? @jmak - How much more security are you proposing? I feel another learning curve approaching!

Kol.

Thank Post
    Also, how are these solutions to run SIMS? Installed on the server and running an instance of SIMS.net there or installed on the users desktop (which must be left running) and used as an RDP solution?

Kol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    Also, how are these solutions to run SIMS? Installed on the server and running an instance of SIMS.net there or installed on the users desktop (which must be left running) and used as an RDP solution?

Kol.
    For TeamViewer you would install the client on a desktop running SIMS, note down the client session details and get the head to take them home. The head would then install TeamViewer on a machine and connect using the details noted down. The computer would obviously have to be left on at school. I would recommend using a desktop to host the school side connection unless you’re comfortable giving the head remote access to your MIS server.

Thank Post
    For TeamViewer you would install the client on a desktop running SIMS, note down the client session details and get the head to take them home. The head would then install TeamViewer on a machine and connect using the details noted down. The computer would obviously have to be left on at school. I would recommend using a desktop to host the school side connection unless you’re comfortable giving the head remote access to your MIS server.
    or set up a client os vm on a server should exactly take up a huge amount of resourcs that way it can left on without any thought involved and use gpo so they cant turn it off

Thank Post
    Teamviewer is can be used but the user has to leave their personal desktop computer logged in and running.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Teamviewer is can be used but the user has to leave their personal desktop computer logged in and running.
    With Logmein the default setting I use is to have my desktop switched on, the login is handled by Logmein. It will do a wake on lan but I have not bothered. I do use Logmein Pro and also use Logmein Ignition on my iPhone and Ipad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,156 Posts
    I would firstly ask what's it for? Reading data, editing data? There are some sophisticated solutions that might be useful for the basics.
    Groupcall Emerge gives you access to data. @Schoolcomms have an app coming out - see it at BETT. Capita also have an app.

Logmein works really well for full control and there is a free app for ipad / iphone which is nice. Similar to teamviewer i guess. I also heard about something called Splash yesterday which is supposedly really good.

It's much better to do that for remote control, of either the desktop or a VM desktop for that purpose, and you want to avoid VPNs or terminal server solutions.
    It just depends what they actually want to do.

There are also advanced services like SLG from Capita, TASC, Bromcom etc, but would work out expensive for only the Head to use, the app solutions might work out better and cheaper though more limited.

Personally i'd opt for logmein.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast