+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Solus 3 feedback in Technical; Also when I try and install sims manually from the /setups folder it only installs and old version! How do ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also when I try and install sims manually from the /setups folder it only installs and old version!

How do I update the setups folder to the Autumn 2 files?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    what's in Setups is no longer relevant once you use Solus 3.
    Sounds horrid but if you really can't get S3 to work immediately on a machine just copy the updated files over from a working one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Also when I try and install sims manually from the /setups folder it only installs and old version!

Hmmm with S3 I don't think you get updated setups like with S2.

Ok after some testing it appears that if you create a new deployment the past deployments don't get updated with regards to the "Targets in the deployment" section, but the "view deployment details" screen does update with the correct info.

Also it would be nice if the overall status of the deployment was updated. Eg, for my FMS deployment one machine was offline during deployment so the status was set as "partially successful", that machine came online and updated, the "Targets in deployment" section updated to show all the machines were successful, however the overall status remains as "partially successful".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post

Ok after some testing it appears that if you create a new deployment the past deployments don't get updated with regards to the "Targets in the deployment" section, but the "view deployment details" screen does update with the correct info.

Also it would be nice if the overall status of the deployment was updated. Eg, for my FMS deployment one machine was offline during deployment so the status was set as "partially successful", that machine came online and updated, the "Targets in deployment" section updated to show all the machines were successful, however the overall status remains as "partially successful".
    The best one is you redeploy an update to a single machine, that machine fails again and then the status for the redeployment says Partially successfull (I remember Rawns having that before, I had it for 2 redploys earlier this week)

Thank Post
    - Solus 3 also appears to break the Examination Module everytime its upgrade. Needs Sims to be installed manually to fix it. "Automation Error"
    In my experience the Automation Error in Exams is fixed by running all windows updates on the affected PC..... and then keeping the PC up to date. A pain sometimes but one of those necessary evils on exams officers PCs

Thank Post
    Solus 3 feedback:

Please could the programmers make the GUI fit a window properly in an RDP session? Surely most folks will access the GUI over an RDP session but when you do there are some screens where even with maximising the window, auto hiding the taskbar, nothing but nothing will allow you to click OK down in the bottom right hand corner...... Even guessing the right number of presses on the TAB key and pressing <enter> is a bit hit and miss!! GRRRRRR...........

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neilenormal View Post
    In my experience the Automation Error in Exams is fixed by running all windows updates on the affected PC..... and then keeping the PC up to date. A pain sometimes but one of those necessary evils on exams officers PCs
    Thanks i'll try this next time.

This error was reported 3 years ago and many times on these and other forums. I don't understand why they have not fixed it.

Thank Post

Once your using SOLUS3 in a school, forget the Setups folder. Archive it if youhave to so it's not used as it's obsolete and no longer used or updated.
    Last edited by Rawns; 13th January 2014 at 09:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post

A full upgrade will only be successful if every defined device in SOLUS3 gets upgraded first time round. If any are offline or fail, then the best you'll get is a 'Partially Successful' upgrade.

If you 'redeploy' to one device and it upgrades, that separate 'redeploy' entry in the deployment history will be Successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    The best one is you redeploy an update to a single machine, that machine fails again and then the status for the redeployment says Partially successfull (I remember Rawns having that before, I had it for 2 redploys earlier this week)
    Yep, I still get this from time to time. Can;t decide if it's a SOLUS3 bug or very bizarre Capita logic!!!
    Last edited by Rawns; 13th January 2014 at 09:14 AM.

Thank Post
    Our biggest problem with S3 is that half of our workstations failed with the update and they just won't update, keep reporting as offline even though they clearly are online. Have tried disabling firewall, renewing IP's...just just wont deploy.
    All the machines are setup the same with the same policies etc as well.

What is confusing is how the other half are working fine. All are on Windows 7 and all deployed S3 and Sims originally with no problems.
    This is the first time we have tried updating and despite having great experience with the initial setup and deploy, the update is proving a NIGHTMARE.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MalekoUK View Post
    Our biggest problem with S3 is that half of our workstations failed with the update and they just won't update, keep reporting as offline even though they clearly are online. Have tried disabling firewall, renewing IP's...just just wont deploy.
    All the machines are setup the same with the same policies etc as well.

What is confusing is how the other half are working fine. All are on Windows 7 and all deployed S3 and Sims originally with no problems.
    This is the first time we have tried updating and despite having great experience with the initial setup and deploy, the update is proving a NIGHTMARE.
    Sounds like it could be DNS issues. If firewall is off, it's the only other main reason why they would be offline in SOLUS3 (unless the S3 agents had died on all the devices).

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep check the DNS that the machine has the correct IP.

We had loads of ours outdated.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Sounds like it could be DNS issues. If firewall is off, it's the only other main reason why they would be offline in SOLUS3 (unless the S3 agents had died on all the devices).
    We did think that at first, we noticed some wouldn't ping via their name but would via their IP. However one workstation that keeps failing will ping via its name and keeps appearing as online then when you either deploy or check the agents status it then goes offline again... Yet DNS is a bit on/off it seems so that needs sorting anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MalekoUK View Post
    We did think that at first, we noticed some wouldn't ping via their name but would via their IP. However one workstation that keeps failing will ping via its name and keeps appearing as online then when you either deploy or check the agents status it then goes offline again... Yet DNS is a bit on/off it seems so that needs sorting anyway.
    What IP address does the workstation in question have? Does it match the IP address that's returned when you ping the name? If not, do a ping -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and see what name is returned.

15. Thanks to Rawns from:

MalekoUK (13th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    What IP address does the workstation in question have? Does it match the IP address that's returned when you ping the name? If not, do a ping -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and see what name is returned.
    Interesting, we get a random pupil computer name... So yes the IP doesn't correspond with the workstation in question.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast